UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Jones greatest light heavyweight ever

10/4/13 10:46 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Earlier this week, UFC president Dana White appeared at media event in Brazil to promote UFC 168: Weidman vs. Silva 2 on Dec 28. During it, he declared Jon Jones the greatest UFC light heavyweight champion of all time.

"Jones has had the toughest run of guys in the UFC," said white, as transcribed by MMAMania. "I mean, to get to the belt and to defend the belt, Jones has had to go through hell. Yeah, and he's the most accomplished. Nevermind Tito Ortiz, let's talk about Chuck Liddell, somebody who could actually really fight. Even Chuck Liddell, the things he accomplished and the things that he did, what Jon Jones has accomplished is greater than any light heavyweight, ever."

At UFC 165 Jones defended his title for the sixth time, breaking the lightheavyweight title defense record, set by Tito Ortiz  at on 11/22/2002. Further, some call Jones vs. Gustafsson the best light heavyweight title fight ever.

What do you think UG? Is Jon Jones the light heavyweight GOAT? And was there ever a better title fight at 205 than Jones vs. Gus?

10/4/13 10:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jdindiana
310 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hard to argue against that Phone Post 3.0
10/4/13 11:00 PM
Swayze Express
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones is one Ko away from being overrated.
10/4/13 11:05 PM
ABE FROMAN

Hardly controversial.

10/4/13 11:06 PM
SilverSpoon1996

Hendo vs Shogun best LHW battle ever
10/4/13 11:10 PM
Ew0k187

Dana probably paid the judges himself Phone Post 3.0
10/4/13 11:25 PM
I LOVE GSP

he never won a Grand Prix.

oh okay, I guess he could be the best "UFC" lhw.
10/4/13 11:35 PM
slamming

jdindiana - Hard to argue against that Phone Post 3.0

Yep.

10/4/13 11:44 PM
Yelm
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree. Most title defenses, destroying legends left and right and coming off one of the best title fights ever. I thought the Gustaffson was close and could have gone either way. I don't understand people saying it was a robbery. Phone Post
10/4/13 11:45 PM
Simon H

So many Jones haters on the ug. Ludicrous to argue that any lhw has accomplished more Phone Post 3.0
10/4/13 11:57 PM
tjmitchiscool
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Jones, and talent-wise he may be close to the top...but hard to say he has gone through the opposition to prove it...young Shogun still gets my vote...just on the fact that he beat fighters who were at their prime Phone Post 3.0
10/5/13 12:00 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Ever the Promoter.
10/5/13 12:01 AM
Chris27

Without question. 

Dont see how anyone can say he isnt. 

10/5/13 12:02 AM
Chris27

Immaculata - Ever the Promoter.

he is a promoter but what he said is correct.  Who he has beaten, most title defenses in UFC LHW history, how can anyone say he isnt? 

10/5/13 12:02 AM
NastyNate420
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chuck had some stiff competition too, people don't realize that because they kept him from Tito. I'd still give the nod to Jon Jones though.
10/5/13 1:12 AM
Non N00B
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has destroyed everybody except Gus who he edged out. What's crazy is he is a finisher, and beats people worse than they have ever been beaten previously. Nobody has ever threw Vera around and broke his face like that, manhandled Hammil like that, demolished Shogun, etc.

I would say he is best 205er ever, Shogun second, Wanderlei third, after that it's subjective. Liddel was a gamer for sure, but kind of fed a diet of guys he was tailor made to beat during his big UFC run, and came up short during the Pride GP.

Shogun without the insane amount of injuries could have probably kept the number 1 spot for a long long long time though.
10/5/13 1:50 AM
Mr Spliff

Greatest lhw... on paper. Phone Post 3.0
10/5/13 1:56 AM
gokudamus stole my name iv

".young Shogun still gets my vote...just on the fact that he beat fighters who were at their prime"

The only top guys young Shogun beat were Rampage and Arona. And a squeaked out, arguable decision over Rog, if you consider Rog a top guy.
10/5/13 2:00 AM
Lebronfloppedhisnutsonmyface
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pitbull3744 - Jones is great but most of his wins are against guys who are at the tail end or end of there career. When he fought a young guy his own size he got owned pretty badly IMO.

Chuck had tougher comp I think Phone Post 3.0
Maaan, STFU with that load eh shite. Phone Post 3.0
10/5/13 2:12 AM
EatonBeever
358 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there is no such thing as greatest lhw ever....  shogun 05, wanderlei 02, rogerio, rampage, lyoto, liddell, bones, arona, plus you have belfort and hendo who stop by the lhw division ever once in a while....impossible to rank them in terms of their 'prime who was the best'... bones has the title, that gives him the popular vote bc mma fans dont have long term memory, only recent fights stay in their heads

10/5/13 2:19 AM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 10/05/13 2:21 AM

This is why the UG is full of shit...

Fighters can beat the best guys but a load of morons will try to figure out how they aren't as good as they are, while still trying to come up with reasons why their favorite fighters are better even in losses. 

The only competition Jon has for best 205lbr is Chuck and Chuck got blasted in PRIDE, by Randy, Jardine, Shogun and Rick Franklin. Liddell was never as good as Jones. So what that Gus might be, that doesn't take away Jones's accomplishments.

This isn't controversial except from people that are haters. I wouldn't even call myself a Jones fan but this hate to me is like Dana denying Frank Shamrock into the hall of fame. It's certain 'hardcore' fans trying to bully him because they don't like him. Call it what it is, the kid is #1 right now. There are no excuses, the man earned his spot, give it to him.

10/5/13 2:44 AM
Emperor Nero

Edited: 10/05/13 3:00 AM
hes doing great good for him. but to be blunt, if jones had beat rampage and shogun anywhere near their primes it would mean a lot more, vitor was a very good win, and the gus fight was close one, every objective person who saw it knows the details. i mean even the rashad fight damn that wasnt really that good huh i expected it to be better i mean i could fire off a large list of lhw who have entertained me more so far.
10/5/13 3:11 AM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 10/05/13 3:13 AM
Emperor Nero - hes doing great good for him. but to be blunt, if jones had beat rampage and shogun anywhere near their primes it would mean a lot more, vitor was a very good win, and the gus fight was close one, every objective person who saw it knows the details. i mean even the rashad fight damn that wasnt really that good huh i expected it to be better i mean i could fire off a large list of lhw who have entertained me more so far.

Maybe you aren't entertained by finishes, fine by me but it sounds like a bogus foundation. This also isn't about entertainment this is about 'greatest light heavyweight ever'. Vitor being a good win while everybody else being out of their prime is pretty laughable considering Vitor started fighting when? It's a shifting target that Jon seems to need to hit in order to be considered what he already is, the same with Anderson before Weidman. Nobody knows what he has to do but it's always just a bit out of his reach or impossible (like going back in time). We can just drop the word 'prime' and it will all make sense, kinda like Dan Henderson was past his prime when he lost to Shields but remarkably got his prime back after beating Fedor. 

However, you bring up Chuck with his loss to the likes of Jardine and it becomes an excuse fest. Apaprently Chuck had just taken a step out of his prime. Just seems like sour grapes and bullying to me.

It's always convenient to name something the champ can't possibly do but at the same time make excuses for the fighter you like more.

Give this man his credit and stop laying down the shifiting 'prime' target to degrade his wins. 

10/5/13 3:59 AM
gokudamus stole my name iv

EatonBeever - 

there is no such thing as greatest lhw ever....  shogun 05, wanderlei 02, rogerio, rampage, lyoto, liddell, bones, arona, plus you have belfort and hendo who stop by the lhw division ever once in a while....impossible to rank them in terms of their 'prime who was the best'... bones has the title, that gives him the popular vote bc mma fans dont have long term memory, only recent fights stay in their heads

This post makes no sense. Arona, Rogerio, and Belfort obviously cannot be considered in a "greatest LHW ever" discussion. Hendo has never even made it to #1 in the division so he is out. Lyoto had a few good wins but let's face it he really couldn't defend the title even once.

Shogun, Wand, and Chuck are the only guys who can be considered to be Jones' competition with a straight face. And I think Jones is clearly above them. No one in ANY division has EVER dominated as many definitively top contenders in a row as Jones has.
10/5/13 4:32 AM
stonepony

Yelm -  I agree. Most title defenses, destroying legends left and right and coming off one of the best title fights ever. I thought the Gustaffson was close and could have gone either way. I don't understand people saying it was a robbery. Phone Post

It's actually pretty simple, they don't understand the concept of a robbery. They are repeating a word they've heard, that's all. The fight was very close, could have gone the other way, that's the thinking-adult opinion.

They're the same people who say Jones is too big, it's not fair, because they don't understand the concept of weight divisions. They're the same people who have no clue what P4P means.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.