UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mir: If cut I could retire

10/7/13 5:22 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Alistair Overeem is on a two fight losing streak. Frank Mir has lost three in a row. The pair will fight at UFC 169 on Superbowl weekend.

UFC president Dana White is on record as saying this is a loser leaves town match. Frank Mir appeared on Monday’s edition of the MMA Hour, and said he wasn't entirely convinced.

"As far as the UFC wanted to release us, I’ve heard the same thing that Dana said absolutely, I find it hard to believe that they’re going to let Alistair to be picked up by another organization," said Mir. "I still think he could sell a ton of tickets. Myself? I keep my opinion to myself on me. I guess I would have to see what I’m selling afterwards."

Mir has no plans to retire, but said if he was released, it would certainly move him in that direction.

"Obviously I have no real desire to fight for another organization, so if I were to be let go that would be a huge step in the form of retirement," said Mir.

Read entire article...

10/7/13 5:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheOne
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Id hate to see a guy like Mir fight anywhere but the UFC.

10/7/13 5:29 PM
teamquestnorth
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No way dana lets mir go anywhere else. He'll get a commenting job or something Phone Post
10/7/13 5:32 PM
buckshot44
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank Mir is all class.

10/7/13 5:37 PM
Fox censored my Chael screen name
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He fought a prime JDS and I believe on short notice

He lost against Cormier but his will wasn't broken, and he didn't get a chance to show his skills. DC did what he had to to win, but to me that doesn't reflect anything on Mir as far as him going downhill.

Barnett did get the better of him, but I would've liked to have seen what would've transpired the next 5 seconds. Imagine if Barnett followed Mir to the ground and Mir recovered, we could've seen a great ground battle!

Anyways, Mir is still a top hw despite his recent losses imo. I'd hate to see him retire or go anywhere else, but I'd sure rather him fight somewhere than retire. He's such an exciting fighter and a very unique heavyweight. I still would LOVE to see Werdum/Mir.

10/7/13 5:37 PM
teamquestnorth

Same threat that vinny used recently. Phone Post
10/7/13 5:38 PM
TheOne
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir has been at the top of the UFC Heavyweight division for more than a deacde, even though he's in a slump now you cannot take away what he has accomplished in the premier promotion in the sport.

Besides Josh Barnett, Mir has had the longest tenure as a top Heavyweight in the sport. I hope that if he does lose that he will accept a commentating job or something and doesnt leave because he wants to keep fighting.

10/7/13 5:39 PM
Festus
325 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

teamquestnorth - Same threat that vinny used recently. Phone Post
How is that a threat? Phone Post
10/7/13 5:44 PM
shaqitup
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

teamquestnorth -  Same threat that vinny used recently. Phone Post

mir has earned decent money in his career

10/7/13 5:49 PM
steve sandstrom
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

teamquestnorth - Same threat that vinny used recently. Phone Post
........since Mir and Vinny are on the same level. Phone Post 3.0
10/7/13 5:50 PM
MMABaseball

Im gonna read the article in a second...but that pic of Frank is hilarious lol Phone Post
10/7/13 6:01 PM
surfing
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as much as i roll my eyes at ol' Franky sometimes, I'd hate to see him fight at a smaller org.
he's a good fighter and has always shown up to rumble against top notch comp
10/7/13 6:03 PM
Choochy
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow a UG news title that's not complete garbage.

The sky is falling. Phone Post
10/7/13 6:10 PM
Nexuscrawlers
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He doesn't have anything left to prove. Frank has had a great career, and it would be awful if he got cut, but he's been at the top for so long in the UFC, it just wouldn't seem right if he fought elsewhere. Hopefully whenever he does retire the UFC gives him a job. He's been around so long and is so knowledgeable, he could be a great asset to the company. Phone Post
10/7/13 6:11 PM
Billyz
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

would hate to see him be cut. former champ, former interim champ. has had some of the most devastating submissions in the history of the sport. will fight the best of the best and never shunned away from the competition win or lose the guy always brought it.

If he does lose I hope its a Chuck Liddel like fairwell because he has been nothing but a company man to the UFC through it all. I cant even picture him in another organization.
10/7/13 6:53 PM
RKing85
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't see him going to Bellator. Maybe one off fights around the world for 50-70k like Sapp and Sylvia are doing Phone Post 3.0
10/7/13 6:59 PM
JerodR
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir is professional, experienced, a good public speaker, and commentator. He has always been a good company man and it would be smart to keep him around regardless of being an active fighter.

The UFC was fine without Overeem, and would be fine without him given his losses. I don't think it is the best thing to lose him to someone like Bellator, but it would certainly not be the end of the world.
10/7/13 7:01 PM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank should just retire even if he wins. There's nothing else for him to prove he's already a HOF. Phone Post
10/7/13 7:12 PM
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nexuscrawlers -  He doesn't have anything left to prove. Frank has had a great career, and it would be awful if he got cut, but he's been at the top for so long in the UFC, it just wouldn't seem right if he fought elsewhere. Hopefully whenever he does retire the UFC gives him a job. He's been around so long and is so knowledgeable, he could be a great asset to the company. Phone Post

Becoming the UFC HW Champion for an unprecedented 3rd time, becoming the only man in UFC history to do that, is definitely something to prove. He is showing improvements in his conditioning and strategy and being with team Jackson can only help. He already has elite skills and his weakness can be fixed with strategy and smart fighting.

I know it's hard even for me to feel he could beat Cain and become the champion, but I would love to see him try and I have stories of Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, and Mark Hunt to show old dogs can learn new tricks.

10/7/13 7:34 PM
Sinful1
284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Refuse to Lose -  Frank should just retire even if he wins. There's nothing else for him to prove he's already a HOF. Phone Post

10/8/13 10:21 PM
CaptainAhab
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/08/13 10:22 PM
I don't like how those comments bode for Mir's chances vs. Overeem.
10/8/13 10:35 PM
da Vinci 81
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can see Overeem being cut but not Mir. Overeem's value was built largely on the unbeatable monster myth he was creating coming in to the UFC and that's largely gone now.

He's back to being the underachieving front runner who crumbles under adversity and his big contract will make it hard to keep him around. And I just don't think he'll take a big pay cut if it comes to that either.
10/8/13 11:01 PM

da Vinci 81 - I can see Overeem being cut but not Mir. Overeem's value was built largely on the unbeatable monster myth he was creating coming in to the UFC and that's largely gone now.

He's back to being the underachieving front runner who crumbles under adversity and his big contract will make it hard to keep him around. And I just don't think he'll take a big pay cut if it comes to that either.

How does your last 2 sentences not apply to Mir?

10/8/13 11:11 PM
Chris27

If cut he goes to WSOF or Bellator. 

both would pay him decent money, WSOF def would look to build their HW div up, they just signed Russow. 

Bellator probably would take him as well.  They need name HW for Minakov/Volkov to fight.  GUys like Kongo and Mir fit that perfectly. 

10/8/13 11:22 PM
Kings21
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I cant really see Mir going to another org. He seems very much a company man and has had a good career. I'd like to see him get some commentating work. I guess if he's commentating I could see him going somewhere else though.

That said, dude is gonna get wrecked by Reem.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.