UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC instituting time restrictions on interim belts

10/7/13 11:58 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Sometimes the UFC champion is injured and severly enough to force them out of action for a considerable time. In this case the UFC will often institute an interim title bout, such as was the case with Dominick Cruz. Renan Barao won the interim bantamweight title and has now defended it twice while Cruz has set out for almost two years. UFC President Dana White revealed today that he intends to introduce term limits whereby if the champion doesn't return, the interim champ will become the undisputed division champion:

"We have thought about it, and we will do it," White said on Monday. "We're probably going to do that soon."

"This is one of those situations where, Dominick Cruz is a good kid," White said. "He's a great champion. He was supposed to fight Urijah Faber at the end of that season of The Ultimate Fighter. He's a champion, he gets a piece of pay-per-view. That fight was supposed to be on the Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen card, which was a home run for him. It's literally a lottery ticket.

"It's a combination of me feeling really bad for him, and him being such a good person. ... Do I think we let it play out too long? Maybe. But if I look at who the champion is, then I say no. I feel bad for the kid."

read entire article...

10/8/13 12:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JerodR
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank god! I feel for Cruz but the real champ is getting screwed right now. Phone Post 3.0
10/8/13 12:08 AM
ChaosOverkill
522 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/08/13 12:08 AM

So Dominik maybe missing out on a piece of PPV is more important than the guy who's actually missing out on it right now and said he can't afford to move his family to a better life and tearing up the division? K...

10/8/13 12:08 AM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing I myself learned this year..

Never let your emotions come into business decisions.

EVER! Phone Post
10/8/13 12:31 AM
dbeedy
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad they are doing this. But I hope champions don't rush rehabbing injuries because of a time limit set by the UFC.

Would be a shame to see Cruz v baraou and Cruz not be 100%. Phone Post 3.0
10/8/13 12:40 AM
Matrixkick
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bout time Phone Post 3.0
10/8/13 12:43 AM
jerdney
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChokeEmOut - lol..and people wonder why it will never be taken as a serious sport? Phone Post
And your point is?.. Phone Post
10/8/13 12:50 AM
JerodR
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill -

So Dominik maybe missing out on a piece of PPV is more important than the guy who's actually missing out on it right now and said he can't afford to move his family to a better life and tearing up the division? K...

Poorly worded but I don't consider Cruz the real champ at this point. Phone Post 3.0
10/8/13 1:21 AM
RKing85
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good. such a joke that Cruz has not been stripped of the title. Barao should be the real champ.
10/8/13 1:27 AM
Lux Fixxins
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cruz is still injured? Phone Post 3.0
10/8/13 2:11 AM
ChaosOverkill
522 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/08/13 2:16 AM
The Little Axe Murderer - 
ChaosOverkill -

Your sayin Renan doesn't get ppv points? Phone Post 3.0

I don't know if he does or doesn't.

But if he was and was getting better than the 11,000 they report as his show pay, you think he would have come out and complain he can't move his family out of their home and "give them a better life"?

Yes he said it, I've had to look it up and point it out 5 times now.

He's also apparently missing out on championship level sponsorship and endorsement. He deserves it, everyone barks like a pitbull when someone wants more than they deserve and the contract and bla bla bla.

This is a situation where apparently because Dana "likes" someone so he is preventing someone who has been defending the interim belt from getting a level of pay he deserves and champions get through all sorts of opportunities YOU ONLY GET AS CHAMP, and if he's getting the "Back door" bonuses all the shills like to end all the arguments with WHY IS HE COMPLAINING HE CAN'T GIVE HIS FAMILY A BETTER LIFE?

The better question here, is: let's pretend Cruz came back a while ago and this new "rule" they came up with never had to come to pass and Barao took the title from him and Cruz was the one who got tangled into an interim situation due to an injury to Barao, do you think the UFC would wait over two years to just give the title back to Cruz and yank it from Barao?

10/8/13 2:24 AM
ChaosOverkill

Edited: 10/08/13 2:25 AM

He's undefeated in 31 fights and has as many UFC title defenses (yes interim) as Cruz has official UFC belt defenses.

How the UFC doesn't want to be promoting him as a phenom UFC champ at this point is beyond me, absolutely beyond me. Is it the English language thing? What is it? THis guy has handed you a longer streak than Fedor had and you won't make the Bantamweight divison about his dominance because you "like Cruz"? The UFC is notorious for being shrewd businessmen but apparently Cruz is their weakness. Amazing, utterly amazing, I know the UFC is now obvious in who they want to be champ in each division but this is utterly ridiculous.

10/8/13 2:24 AM
JTRipper
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought there always was a time limit of around a year, but that they just overlooked it with Cruz for some reason. Phone Post 3.0
10/8/13 2:29 AM
ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think baro deserves the title by now.

But

Who ever has that belt is a paper champion, no matter how dominant or deserving he may be, until he beats Dom. Or Dom retires. Phone Post 3.0
10/8/13 2:29 AM
ChaosOverkill

JTRipper - I thought there always was a time limit of around a year, but that they just overlooked it with Cruz for some reason. Phone Post 3.0

I assume that they figured the Interim would bounce around and that none of the guys would standout as dominant and now they are caught with their pants down while Barao in terrible English tries to understand why they won't make him champ

10/8/13 2:30 AM
ChaosOverkill

Edited: 10/08/13 2:31 AM
The Little Axe Murderer - Renan got 170k from fight fight bonuses alone so I'm pretty sure he makes enough money and I bet he has ppv points but he's not a draw but I'm sure after fighting on the Jones card he made enough money from ppv to take care of his family Phone Post 3.0

THen you're calling him the liar and making things up about what he needs to do it, take it up with him, I'm just going by what he said, all I can do.

And depending on the size of his family and where he wants to move them 170k will dissapear very fast.

10/8/13 2:31 AM
ChaosOverkill

ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever - I think baro deserves the title by now.

But

Who ever has that belt is a paper champion, no matter how dominant or deserving he may be, until he beats Dom. Or Dom retires. Phone Post 3.0

Of course it is, but if you give Cruz an instant shot when he's ready what's the problem?

10/8/13 2:33 AM
UGCTT_ShanTheMan
720 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How long was Mur out compared to Cruz? Phone Post
10/8/13 2:34 AM
ChaosOverkill

Edited: 10/08/13 2:34 AM
UGCTT_ShanTheMan -  How long was Mur out compared to Cruz? Phone Post

On August 12, 2005, the UFC learned that Mir was not able to fight Andrei Arlovski in October as scheduled, thus Mir was stripped of the title after 14 months

Source: Wiki

10/8/13 2:35 AM
UGCTT_ShanTheMan
720 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Chaos! Phone Post
10/8/13 2:37 AM
ChaosOverkill

Edited: 10/08/13 2:36 AM
UGCTT_ShanTheMan -  Thanks Chaos! Phone Post

NP I didn't even know till I looked it up, by the time cruz comes back it will be close to twice as long as it took to strip Mir

10/8/13 3:27 AM
Devlin
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill -

On August 12, 2005, the UFC learned that Mir was not able to fight Andrei Arlovski in October as scheduled, thus Mir was stripped of the title after 14 months

Just realised these two never fought, funny considering they were both in the ufc for so long together. Phone Post
10/8/13 6:17 AM
EckY
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/08/13 6:18 AM
What a truly ridiculous explanation. Barao has had more UFC title fight and UFC fights than Cruz, where is his lottery ticket?
10/8/13 6:21 AM
EckY
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill - 

Not really fair to compare them imo as Frank Mir is the devil and Dominic Cruz is a good kid.
10/8/13 6:44 AM
ChaosOverkill

EckY - What a truly ridiculous explanation. Barao has had more UFC title fight and UFC fights than Cruz, where is his lottery ticket?

"Roster packed bruh"

-Deynuh

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.