UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Shields vs. Maia

10/9/13 10:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
caseharts
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Leck Brosnar - Impressed by Shields, that's why I didn't think Maia could sub him like 90% of the forum said with conviction. Case, how would you analyze the rassling between Fitch and Shields now? :)
In a collegiate wrestling match? Fitch no questions Phone Post
10/9/13 10:29 PM
Chisel Chest
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please no more jake shields on TV. Damn that was pathetic. What a waste of time. I don't know why I expected anything different. I was actually hoping Damian was going to finish him early but he gassed in the second. Phone Post 3.0
10/9/13 10:30 PM
Maloverde
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 should have gone to Maia because he landed better shots than Shields.  They were about split for time in control of round 1, and unfortunately for Maia, Shields ended the round on top which most likely swayed the judges.

I had Shields winning 2 and 3 and Maia winning 1, 4 and 5.

Won't say it was a good fight, but it was fairly competitive. 

10/9/13 10:33 PM
iShatswhenWeidmanBassoondSilva
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kingkoopa - 
ufc98newb - 

Jake played the lnp game....if maia decided to do the same then jake would get no sweeps either.
Maia took risks to try and finish....jake played it safe. Phone Post

This is how I saw it as well. 

thats exactly whats wrong with the new culture in mma and exactly why i care less and less about each ufc card. its shitting all over mma

Comes down to the "all mighty dollar" and people keep giving it to the UFC. Have to support the smaller outfits, not saying Bellators any better but the average fan only knows UFC. 

I think it's laughable to say if you are a champion in the UFC you are the best on the planet.

I used to buy the majority of the ppv cards but now i have found my interest slowly waning.

10/9/13 10:36 PM
DirtyLickinsBrah
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea i thought maia won 1, 4 and......tufs on......Tates ass!!

Congrats jake.....bye!! Phone Post
10/9/13 10:42 PM
dan0s
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was one of the worst ufc fights I have ever watched.

I don't know why they keep shields. Send him to bellator so he can bore people there. Phone Post
10/9/13 10:43 PM
GregNoActionJackson
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Peacedog - Both guys needed that 5th round, Sheilds had the guts to take a few shots, go underneath, and risk giving up the td with a spin behind. Maia spent too much of that round defending the td. Just my opinion.
Exactly this Phone Post
10/9/13 10:45 PM
gusto

GregNoActionJackson - 
Peacedog - Both guys needed that 5th round, Sheilds had the guts to take a few shots, go underneath, and risk giving up the td with a spin behind. Maia spent too much of that round defending the td. Just my opinion.
Exactly this Phone Post

the best strike of the 5th rd was a left hand by maia. that was really the only thing of note
10/9/13 10:49 PM
EKPOGI
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesome!Jake!!!
10/9/13 11:06 PM
Jaybrone
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The one guy in the WW division that can hang with Maia in the grappling and there goes the Maia @170 hype for a little while. 

Side note why does Shields boxing look so awkward? He can land effective strikes but he looks so awkward and uncomfortable striking.

10/9/13 11:08 PM
Jaybrone
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dan0s -  That was one of the worst ufc fights I have ever watched.

I don't know why they keep shields. Send him to bellator so he can bore people there. Phone Post

It was a technical grappling masterpiece by both guys. Unfortunately that can be extremely boring to watch for most. However, it is FAR from Ben Askren boring.

10/9/13 11:15 PM
gokudamus stole my name iv

boxy - Maia's WW run ends by a guy doing nothing and stalling him. Wow...

I miss PRIDE.

Like Maia would have won in Pride? For what? His zero submission attempts and landing like 3 decent punches?
10/9/13 11:17 PM
caseharts
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
I'm recanting everything I said. I came off like an ass. I'm going to rewatch it. I thin there needs to be talk on what constitutes winning Though Phone Post
10/9/13 11:22 PM
Fox censored my Chael screen name
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leck Brosnar - Impressed by Shields, that's why I didn't think Maia could sub him like 90% of the forum said with conviction. Case, how would you analyze the rassling between Fitch and Shields now? :)

Leck Brosnar-Man I have been meaning to tell you bro but every time I read your opinion on something that I put interest in, you and I are on the Exact same page my friend.

I have been meaning to publically give you some praise and kudos for your insight, so let today be the day!

10/9/13 11:22 PM
Jaybrone

gokudamus stole my name iv - 

I miss PRIDE.

Like Maia would have won in Pride? For what? His zero submission attempts and landing like 3 decent punches?

Agreed

Here is a question. Why is it everytime someone loses a close fight people bitch about how pride scoring was so much better? Pride had some seriously shitty decisions in its own right.

10/9/13 11:24 PM
cross3dout
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maia 1,4,5 Phone Post 3.0
10/9/13 11:24 PM
kingkoopa

iShatswhenWeidmanBassoondSilva -
kingkoopa - 
ufc98newb - 

Jake played the lnp game....if maia decided to do the same then jake would get no sweeps either.
Maia took risks to try and finish....jake played it safe. Phone Post

This is how I saw it as well. 

thats exactly whats wrong with the new culture in mma and exactly why i care less and less about each ufc card. its shitting all over mma

Comes down to the "all mighty dollar" and people keep giving it to the UFC. Have to support the smaller outfits, not saying Bellators any better but the average fan only knows UFC. 

I think it's laughable to say if you are a champion in the UFC you are the best on the planet.

I used to buy the majority of the ppv cards but now i have found my interest slowly waning.

You're t totally right. Ever since ufc became the only big fish in the pond mma has become stale. More so with each passing year.

Unfortunately at this point it'll take more than just One other org competing on UFC's level to change the culture. Whatever other org comes up through the rubble needs to instill a culture that prioritizes fighting for the finish every minute of every round. Phone Post
10/9/13 11:25 PM
kingkoopa

Jaybrone -
gokudamus stole my name iv - 

I miss PRIDE.

Agreed

Here is a question. Why is it everytime someone loses a close fight people bitch about how pride scoring was so much better? Pride had some seriously shitty decisions in its own right.

In pride a fight like this was a rarity. Why? Cuz of the yellow card system.

Of course that's not possible in the ufc but what is possible is finishing bonuses to every finish. But the ufc at this point is more worried about profit margins than mma Phone Post
10/9/13 11:33 PM
stillmatic
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had Maia winning, but he has no reason to complain with the way he fought. Didn't even try to get up off his back and let Shields just hold him down. That was very disappointing.
10/9/13 11:35 PM
Humboldt
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Demian Maia is a fn beast on the ground.

Jake did better than any ww could against him once it hit the canvass.

Bunch a fn tough man faggots on this forum. Every time that hit the ground it had the potential for explosive awesomeness. Problem...both guys wee too good to let their opponent pull that off.

No time limits, no rounds....would be the only way to make this fight more interesting to a bjj enthusiast.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and am a huge fan of both demian and jake. Phone Post 3.0
10/9/13 11:35 PM
Yun
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leck Brosnar - Impressed by Shields, that's why I didn't think Maia could sub him like 90% of the forum said with conviction. Case, how would you analyze the rassling between Fitch and Shields now? :)

10/9/13 11:39 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA
Yun -

I will say this. I don't think I've ever said Fitch is a better grappler but he is Imo a beget wrestler. Jake pulled guard Phone Post
10/9/13 11:45 PM
aNutterFedorFan
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TtoMyJ14 - I demand my cable money back
Hahaga. VU Phone Post 3.0
10/9/13 11:46 PM
Fox censored my Chael screen name
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's obvious.

Jake beats, scratch that, SUBMITS Jon Fitch in a grappling comp.

Jon Fitch gets manhandled by Demian Maia in an mma fight.

Shields detractors before the fight say Fitch is a better wrestler than Shields.

Shields outwrestles a guy who outwrestled Fitch, and wins a 5 round fight.

If you STILL say Fitch is a better mma wrestler than Shields at this point, my only advice to you, is don't ever bet against Jake Shields again, your judgement is obviously clouded with a distaste of his style to where you cannot see the skill that is right there.

10/9/13 11:59 PM
ranier wolfcastle
992 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a draw woulda been fine with me

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.