UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Shields vs. Maia

10/10/13 12:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JStrongMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So everyone said Maia would starch Jake. Jake displays better grappling and wins pretty clearly. Now half of you say Jake stalled and held the whole fight and the other half are saying Maia was robbed. Ok, UG. In "Fantasy Land" you can have anything you want. Phone Post
10/10/13 12:26 AM
Tripitaka's Triangle
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Humboldt - Demian Maia is a fn beast on the ground.

Jake did better than any ww could against him once it hit the canvass.

Bunch a fn tough man faggots on this forum. Every time that hit the ground it had the potential for explosive awesomeness. Problem...both guys wee too good to let their opponent pull that off.

No time limits, no rounds....would be the only way to make this fight more interesting to a bjj enthusiast.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and am a huge fan of both demian and jake. Phone Post 3.0
Vu Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 1:13 AM
Fox censored my Chael screen name
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am now scratching my head wondering....going into this fight, did people think Jake Used to be the man with his style but Demian caught up to him with improved performances at ww, or did people think Demian has always been better than Jake?

All I know is I had Jake being the man to beat, and I was unsure if Demian's improvement was enough to surpass Jake in this fight.

Regardless if you thought Jake was better than Demian going in, or if you thought Demian was better going in, I think it's pretty clear that Demian Maia needs to improve before he can surpass Jake Shields.

10/10/13 1:24 AM
caseharts
393 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Fox censored my Chael screen name -

I am now scratching my head wondering....going into this fight, did people think Jake Used to be the man with his style but Demian caught up to him with improved performances at ww, or did people think Demian has always been better than Jake?

All I know is I had Jake being the man to beat, and I was unsure if Demian's improvement was enough to surpass Jake in this fight.

Regardless if you thought Jake was better than Demian going in, or if you thought Demian was better going in, I think it's pretty clear that Demian Maia needs to improve before he can surpass Jake Shields.

I think with a few minor adjustments he can finish Jake. Maia had a clear complacency on the ground. He thought he could get him off his back. He could not.

I think if maia slowed down on Jakes back and did not cardio we would have seen a much different fight.

You want everyone to agree with you that Jake is better. This was not enough to even remotely say this after that fight. We saw Jake gives up really bad positions but had clever escapes. Maia had a total lack of urgency seemed complacent.

Jake won, but he did prove he is the better fighter. If we had the same debate about Dhk and silva you'd have a damn nice argument but that's not what happened. I've admitted my fault but you are acting as if there was a clear difference in skill with Jake being superior.

As much of a dick as I was and I apologized you are going overboard on his superiority. Phone Post
10/10/13 1:38 AM
Fox censored my Chael screen name
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, you misread that CH.

I agree with you that the fight should have been a draw because you can't clearly tell who was the better fighter....had it gone to a finish being key.

What I mean though, is on paper when comparing Maia and Shields mma, Shields has fought longer, is younger, has 2 belts in mma, and has a W against Maia in mma.

So when you think of rankings and if they rematched next month, I would HAVE to feel that Jake would NOW be the favorite when you take everything into consideration.

10/10/13 7:18 AM
joshavard
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did TJ break the bang win streak?

Haven't looked through all the pages, apologies if already discussed. Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 9:03 AM
JackintheCrack

DirtyLickinsBrah-

Jake played the lnp game....if maia decided to do the same then jake would get no sweeps either.
Maia took risks to try and finish....jake played it safe. Phone Post

10/10/13 9:12 AM
JStrongMMA

JackintheCrack -

DirtyLickinsBrah-

Jake played the lnp game....if maia decided to do the same then jake would get no sweeps either.

Jake was trying to set up submissions and was trying to pass his guard through the fight. That's not lnp. Phone Post
10/10/13 9:28 AM
michaelkaras
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

boxy - 4-1, Maia.

Boring fight with Shields' stalling. Maia did the only damage.

One of the worst robberies in recent memory. Shields won by literally doing nothing.

haha
10/10/13 9:53 AM
leifdawg
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

boxy - Maia's WW run ends by a guy doing nothing and stalling him. Wow...

I miss PRIDE.

Regardless who won the fight, I learned what I already suspected, Maia would get destroyed by GSP.
10/10/13 10:01 AM
leifdawg
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fox censored my Chael screen name - 

It's obvious.

Jake beats, scratch that, SUBMITS Jon Fitch in a grappling comp.

Jon Fitch gets manhandled by Demian Maia in an mma fight.

Shields detractors before the fight say Fitch is a better wrestler than Shields.

Shields outwrestles a guy who outwrestled Fitch, and wins a 5 round fight.

If you STILL say Fitch is a better mma wrestler than Shields at this point, my only advice to you, is don't ever bet against Jake Shields again, your judgement is obviously clouded with a distaste of his style to where you cannot see the skill that is right there.

Agreed. Fitch's wrestling is over rated. He's tenaious and he commits to takedowns and for most of his career he was a the bigger fighter. However BJ laid down the blueprint and Fitch hasn't' been the same since. If you go after him his defensive wrestling is mediocre at best.
10/10/13 11:25 AM
Shinsei78
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great ground battle. I for one really enjoyed it and the right man definitely won. Enough said. Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 1:43 PM
Another Foob
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really enjoyed the fight. I agreed with the decision, but it was so hard to score that I would have had no complaint if it went the other way.

I'm also not surprised that a lot of people were bored. But, I just thought it was really cool to see such similar styles clash - even if they almost completely nullified each other.
10/10/13 2:13 PM
kingkoopa

JStrongMMA -
JackintheCrack -

DirtyLickinsBrah-

Jake was trying to set up submissions and was trying to pass his guard through the fight. That's not lnp. Phone Post
Not in rnds 3 4 5 Phone Post
10/10/13 2:25 PM
JStrongMMA

KingofBJJ -

Lackluster?  Only if you are a dull witted ape.  That was an excellent showing of Jiu Jitsu mastery by Shields.  He practically made all of Maia's 20 or 30 blackbelt or grappling championships practically worthless.

If Shields fought like that against GSP and Ellenberger he would be defending his championship belt a third time.

You should have heard the Sherdog radio beatdown after the bell show. They ragged on the main event and called it lackluster, boring etc. They didnt seem to like the main card in general. I turned it off because I was getting pissed. I thought the card was pretty good given that it was a UFC FN in Brazil. Phone Post
10/10/13 8:03 PM
DirtyLickinsBrah
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ -

Lackluster?  Only if you are a dull witted ape.  That was an excellent showing of Jiu Jitsu mastery by Shields.  He practically made all of Maia's 20 or 30 blackbelt or grappling championships practically worthless.

If Shields fought like that against GSP and Ellenberger he would be defending his championship belt a third time.

The thing is, maia was the one getting the TDs....if maia decided to play safe...he could have LnP shield the whole night.
Maia could have easily cruised to a boring decision.

Jakes stand up was terrible as usual and his td attempts were pretty bad.

I think its bad for mma to give these guys credit for just laying on other fighters.

Any exciting part of this fight should be credited to maia for at least trying to fight....jakes only plan was to get a td and lay there. Phone Post
10/11/13 9:49 AM
Scrapp_Happy_Mays

Every Jake Shields win is "LACKLUSTER"!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.