UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> KEITH OWEN just...

10/12/13 12:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
slick_mcfavorite
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Checkuroil is spot on about that reddit forum. Its literally just people posting pictures of them getting their blue belt or telling stories of how they saw rafa mendes at panera bread. Phone Post
10/12/13 4:42 PM
Jessy30
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"kying418 , 30
2 days ago
I've come to grips with the reality that Ari will get his black belt before me.

But in all seriousness, we should just be grateful that we are able to train.

Let's try not to worry or judge other people's journey in bjj. Eventually, if they aren't "real" practioners, they will fall to the wayside.

Hell, even if you love the sport, how many of us will be training when we are in our 50's and 60's and up"

This Phone Post
10/12/13 4:48 PM
Jessy30
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"shen , 373
1 day ago

It's perfectly valid to not care or think it matters, but in a way, the countdown to Ari getting his BB is like the countdown to doomsday for BJJ.

Yeah, I know BJJ will go on and there is LOTS & LOTS of very excellent BJJ out there... but on a more subtle level it will be a sort of death knell. The end of an era. 15 years ago the idea of someone like Ari get any advanced rank in BJJ was simply an impossibility. Now it's reality.

BJJ used to be an art with universally high standards for ranks, not so much anymore. Ari is the perfect symbol for the downward slide BJJ has taken in that regard."

And this. I just have given up caring that individuals I KNOW would at one point never have received a BB are going to get them. It is ri-goddamn-diculous but there you have it. Phone Post
10/12/13 5:17 PM
shen
896 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's just sort of like that moment when the first 8-year old was given a black belt in Karate; It doesn't change anything, yet it kinda changes everything. A couple decades before, the idea of a child getting a black belt in karate would have been unthinkable --Kids weren't even allowed to train Karate at a lot of dojos-- then it became normal.

These days, Karate & TKD are PRIMARILY activities geared towards children.

10/12/13 9:22 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Greed.

It's a helluva drug.

10/13/13 12:30 AM
JRockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen -

It's just sort of like that moment when the first 8-year old was given a black belt in Karate; It doesn't change anything, yet it kinda changes everything. A couple decades before, the idea of a child getting a black belt in karate would have been unthinkable --Kids weren't even allowed to train Karate at a lot of dojos-- then it became normal.

It's funny, when many people my age hear I teach martial arts, most of them immediately start talking about their kids and how they want them to do that. I'm like, yeah I teach a few kids in my garage once or twice a week, but at the gym I just teach adults, I've really only been teaching kids for a few years.. And they give me this sort of of nonplussed, nodding stare where their brain is trying to process why adults would want to go to a gym and pay lots of money just to learn kata, break boards and do a little point sparring with lots of pads...

I try to explain to them what we actually do, but for most people, it's very hard for them to not call what you do "karate" if you're wearing anything that resembles a Gi. Phone Post 3.0
10/13/13 2:25 AM
shen
896 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JRockwell - 
shen -

It's funny, when many people my age hear I teach martial arts, most of them immediately start talking about their kids and how they want them to do that. I'm like, yeah I teach a few kids in my garage once or twice a week, but at the gym I just teach adults, I've really only been teaching kids for a few years.. And they give me this sort of of nonplussed, nodding stare where their brain is trying to process why adults would want to go to a gym and pay lots of money just to learn kata, break boards and do a little point sparring with lots of pads...

I try to explain to them what we actually do, but for most people, it's very hard for them to not call what you do "karate" if you're wearing anything that resembles a Gi. Phone Post 3.0

Man, I hear you!

To parents, there's no difference between swimming, martial arts & soccer --it's all "stuff for kids".

10/13/13 3:58 AM
DonMega
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This post is about a teacher who only sees money and about a guy who in reallity is mediocre blue belt at best and what money can do to the sport.

First of great post Shen!

I have also been a PROUD brown belt for 25 months but under Rey Diogo same as professional under is underRelson and i also dont have any stripes on my brown belt. Old school you know!

I have produced some of the top grapplers in europe.
I have had some major surgeries and still continue to teach while most of the people would quit long time agoo.

I have had my school for 10 years and have only 1 brown and 5 purple belts....Most of these guys have won all the major competitions in our country which is one of the best nations in BJJ in Europe if not the best......

And now we have this guy Keith Owen promoting Ari ,beginner blue belt to 1 st stripe brown belt. And also promoting 9 purple belts.

Keith and Ari if you are reading this -YOU HAVE NO MORAL.YOU ARE AN EMBARESSMENT TO THE SPORT!YOUR NAMES ARE DONE IN BJJ COMMUNITY.

10/13/13 4:02 AM
DonMega

From this blue belt 3 years ago to a 1st stripe brown belt.
I bet that the guy that kicked his ass is still a blue belt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqR3s7EZeQ
10/13/13 9:19 AM
joshjitsu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blue please

http://youtu.be/D0cQNYTkxfA
10/13/13 10:16 AM
allthingsbjj phil

Edited: 10/13/13 10:17 AM
allthingsBJJ - Ultra Concentrated, BJJ Media

for joshjitsu lmao

10/13/13 3:13 PM
The Ghost Of Swayze
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is Pedro Sauer aware of this?
10/13/13 5:51 PM
joshjitsu

There are tons of other much more respected BJJ guys aligning themselves with much much larger scum than Ari. I'm not gonna throw names out there but it's happening.
10/13/13 7:10 PM
yusul
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

$$$
10/14/13 11:15 AM
countlphie

oh my god i'm crying because of that video hahah
10/15/13 2:23 AM
Ridgeback

Ari is like the Rosa Parks of BJJ if Rosa Parks had actually been a white woman that paid the white bus driver to kick a black person out of a full bus so she could have a seat.

10/15/13 1:34 PM
MTH
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Might be a lot to ask, but can someone who's "in the know" provide a cliff notes explanation for the anger directed toward this guy?

I spent a little time on Google and found a thread that's a few years old where Eddie Bravo opined that he'd seen Ari roll and felt he was at purple belt level. That was several years ago, and isn't Keith Owen a Pedro Sauer black belt?

So without more background, it's hard to see why brown belt is a terribly inappropriate rank.

And he got it a few months ago as I recall, so a stripe might not be unreasonable either. Right?

Is the issue that folks feel Ari is supposedly not "brown belt level," or is the issue that folks just don't like him personally? Why do folks like Shen believe that Ari would have "never" been able to get a BJJ black belt in the "old days"? Is he simply that unathletic? It doesn't appear so. Or maybe he's just such a bad person (why?) that he should somehow simply be absolutely intelligible for the rank? Phone Post 3.0
10/15/13 2:15 PM
RPBJJ
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mna I need Cliffs Notes on this Ari/Keith drama. I know its always talked about on her but I have really never gave a shit.

Also Ive been at brown for almost 3 years. I know if I ever get promoted its legit and deserved. Ive taken the long road in BJJ and I dont regret a thing!!!!
10/15/13 2:21 PM
ano8tsixxx

I can just imagine what ari's black belts will look like.
10/15/13 2:33 PM
poober
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MTH - Might be a lot to ask, but can someone who's "in the know" provide a cliff notes explanation for the anger directed toward this guy?

I spent a little time on Google and found a thread that's a few years old where Eddie Bravo opined that he'd seen Ari roll and felt he was at purple belt level. That was several years ago, and isn't Keith Owen a Pedro Sauer black belt?

So without more background, it's hard to see why brown belt is a terribly inappropriate rank.

And he got it a few months ago as I recall, so a stripe might not be unreasonable either. Right?

Is the issue that folks feel Ari is supposedly not "brown belt level," or is the issue that folks just don't like him personally? Why do folks like Shen believe that Ari would have "never" been able to get a BJJ black belt in the "old days"? Is he simply that unathletic? It doesn't appear so. Or maybe he's just such a bad person (why?) that he should somehow simply be absolutely intelligible for the rank? Phone Post 3.0

Started posting shit technique while wearing a BJJ gi and a black belt.

He's called out on it and claims it's not a BJJ black belt but a Judo black belt from some system he made up that was based on ground fighting.

When people still called BS he decided to go legit and instead of going to the black belt instructor down the street he goes to Keith Owen's school another country away.

He's rapidly promoted to 4 stripe blue after a pretty terrible blue belt testing video. Gets purple super fast and a brown even faster.

Keith starts to self promote more than ever through Ari and at some point gets bent by all the critics and claims he and Ari would start competing more to prove everyone wrong. That's whne the video showing Ari losing to a white belt came out. Not sure if Keith ever competed though.

That's the tip of the ice burg.

3 years from blue to brown just fuels the fire.
10/15/13 3:01 PM
UGCTT_Fillthy
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel bad for Pedro's other black belts once Ari starts promoting himself as a 'Pedro Sauer BB'

I'll probably puke a little the first time I hear it.  And then I'll move on.

10/16/13 11:14 AM
Usagi Yojimbo

trainmygod - 
shen - 
It's perfectly valid to not care or think it matters, but in a way, the countdown to Ari getting his BB is like the countdown to doomsday for BJJ.

Yeah, I know BJJ will go on and there is LOTS & LOTS of very excellent BJJ out there... but on a more subtle level it will be a sort of death knell. The end of an era. 15 years ago the idea of someone like Ari get any advanced rank in BJJ was simply an impossibility. Now it's reality.

BJJ used to be an art with universally high standards for ranks, not so much anymore. Ari is the perfect symbol for the downward slide BJJ has taken in that regard.

I was waiting for shen to throw his usual Ari hissy fit. Sounds like the grandfather who walked uphill both ways to school. This "good old days" talk is all bullshit. If you don't believe that people have been taking advantage of connections in BJJ to get rank and using rank to get more money, you are naive. This happens in all fields.

I think everyone agrees with that.
But those guys dont have 120.000(!!) people subscribing to their youtube channel. Google Omoplata on youtube and the top rated hits are Stephan Kesting with 42000 hits, Demian Maia with 135000 og and Are with over 1000000 hits...

And have you seen his Brown belt demo?! He has increased the speed of the whole video to make it look way better than it is.. most embarrassing thing I've ever seen.
10/16/13 12:35 PM
checkuroil
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even the great Steven segal speeds up tape. No biggie. Phone Post 3.0
10/16/13 3:13 PM
pahulkster
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sunderground - Keith Owen is awful and it makes me wonder what kind of standards Pedro Sauer holds to as well.

Now we're just getting insane. Even thinking about questioning someone like Pedro Sauer based on Ari freaking Bolden is just absurd. Who is next? Rickson and Helio for promoting Pedro Sauer?
10/16/13 3:32 PM
triso
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ano8tsixxx - I can just imagine what ari's black belts will look like.

Black belts in Ari JJ ... which will translate to blue belts in BJJ.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.