UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Maia: Judges need to show up

10/10/13 12:50 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1024 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Jake Shields won a narrow split decision victory over Demian Maia in the main event of UFN 29. Judges scores broke down this way:|
Richard Bertrand (USA): R1, R2, R5 for Shields, R3, R4 for Maia (48-47 Shields)
Sal D'Amato (USA): R2, R3, R5 for Shields, R1, R4 for Maia (48-47 Shields)
Guilherme Bravo (Brazil): R1, R4, R5 for Maia, R2, R3 for Shields (48-47 Maia)

Maia appeared at the post-fight press conference and said the judges should be more accountable.

"I don't understand the judges," said Maia as transcribed by MMAMania. "My strategy going into the fifth round was to defend the takedowns and score points standing, so I thought the fight was 3-2 to me. I think the judges should make their criteria more clear and the judges should go public. A decision like this can change a fighter's life and these guys never show up. They need to show up. They need to know the responsibility they have with judging, and they should clarify the rules."

What do you think UG? Was the judging sound last night? Who did you think won the main event?

10/10/13 12:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
chew22
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could have gone either way. Close fight, grinding grappling.

If Maia wants to win those maybe he needs to show up more, not the judges.

It felt like a split decision win to me, and Shields was on top more, so I can see the logic. But overall it was pretty even IMO.
10/10/13 12:58 PM
epwar
647 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only one judge got it right:

Guilherme Bravo (Brazil): R1, R4, R5 for Maia, R2, R3 for Shields (48-47 Maia)

Giving Shields the fifth is laughable.

10/10/13 12:59 PM
Daverr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no prob with that dec

the problems were with the tj assuncao,(close still)

and the fact maldanado thought beltran didnt win a round was humerous

i had beltran 2-1
10/10/13 1:12 PM
JStrongMMA

Shields won and it was pretty clear. Phone Post
10/10/13 1:17 PM
FunkMasterJoe
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nobones - Shields lost that fight. He got a few takedowns but never once tried to pass out of half guard. Never went for serious GnP. Never went for a single submission. And the last two rounds he got all his shots stuffed and got outstruck. And he lost the first round. Very bad call. Phone Post
What exactly did Maia do though? Not much. I had Shields winning 3-2. Could it have gone either way? Sure. But it's not like Maia did a whole bunch either. Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 1:19 PM
Stea1th

They both should of lose. Holding opponents and doing nothing should give you negative points Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 1:21 PM
TARRat
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"My strategy going into the fifth round was to defend the takedowns and score points standing"

And this is what happens when you try to not lose the fight, as opposed to try to win the fight.
10/10/13 1:24 PM
caposa
1557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/10/13 1:27 PM

All came down to the 5th  for me, and after rewatching that round was either 10-10 or 10-9 Maia. Effective defense should be scored in some way. Maia defended every single one of Shields' takedowns and landed all of the significant punches of the round. Shields had most of the forward pressure and was looking for takedowns. The judging criteria really needs to be defined better.

and TARRat, since when is scoring points standing "trying not to lose the fight"?

JStrongMMA

nobones - Shields lost that fight. He got a few takedowns but never once tried to pass out of half guard. Never went for serious GnP. Never went for a single submission. And the last two rounds he got all his shots stuffed and got outstruck. And he lost the first round. Very bad call. Phone Post
What the hell were you watching? Shields did pass his guard..twice I believe. He was trying to pass his guard everytime he was on top. He was also setting up a kimura several times. It's hard to finish one of the best grapplers in the world..even if Jake is one as well. Phone Post
Lazer MMA

There was no decisive winner but that's the case in sooo many fights today. Stop your man and then you don't need to worry!

Round one was so close it was unreal. I think a 10-10 was in order.

At the end of the day Shields was able to control Maia more than Maia was able to control Shields. Now that included some brilliant scrambles and reversals to get top position as well. That's in a fight which was basically just a fight to get that top position and control. It is what it is. Can't cry here if your Maia or a fan of his. Just deal
10/10/13 1:28 PM
McBottery

Only fight that coulda gone either way imo. The two other main card decisions were fucking jokes. Phone Post
10/10/13 1:28 PM
Lazer MMA

JStrongMMA - 
What the hell were you watching? Shields did pass his guard..twice I believe. He was trying to pass his guard everytime he was on top. He was also setting up a kimura several times. It's hard to finish one of the best grapplers in the world..even if Jake is one as well. Phone Post

I thought he passed more than just twice but yea good post. Maia and fans butt hurt. He did not win that fight.
10/10/13 1:29 PM
JStrongMMA

Lazer MMA -
JStrongMMA - 

I thought he passed more than just twice but yea good post. Maia and fans butt hurt. He did not win that fight.
Yea..it was probably more hqn twice. I'll have to rewatch because Maia was able to get back to half guard and full guard very quickly. Phone Post
10/10/13 1:31 PM
shatefak

I would score it a draw Phone Post
10/10/13 1:42 PM
bartatua

Eery judge's scorecard is completely different

Good god
10/10/13 1:50 PM
joe canada
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd be interested to see the statement in its original Portuguese.

"... need to show up" is an idiom specific to English. I wouldn't be surprised to find out the original version reads more like "... held responsible".

Just speculating, but I suspect there's a lot lost in translation here.
10/10/13 1:57 PM
Foos
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I scored the fight a draw. I don't think either fighter could complain with any outcome.
10/10/13 2:02 PM
UGCTT_buchu8oolong
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That one was too close to really call for me. I gave a slight edge to Shields just on seeming to be more offensive (if that's the word) latter on. And that just based on how I've grown to expect these things to be scored. Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 2:03 PM
TARRat
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa - 

All came down to the 5th  for me, and after rewatching that round was either 10-10 or 10-9 Maia. Effective defense should be scored in some way. Maia defended every single one of Shields' takedowns and landed all of the significant punches of the round. Shields had most of the forward pressure and was looking for takedowns. The judging criteria really needs to be defined better.

and TARRat, since when is scoring points standing "trying not to lose the fight"?

It's the subtle difference between trying to finish (aka win) vs. just doing enough (aka trying not to lose). It's one thing if he had dominated for four rounds - don't potentially put yourself in a bad position. Yet that wasn't the case - he needed (obviously) to do more to try to win.
10/10/13 2:04 PM
TARRat

I should add that, for the record, I thought it was close enough that the decision could have gone either way. Hence, why I think Maia could/should have done more.
10/10/13 2:07 PM
JStrongMMA

Am I the only one that scored the first round for Jake? He landed more strikes to open the round then Maia got two takedowns but didnt sustain the offense and Jake ended the round on top for the final 2+ minutes. Phone Post
10/10/13 2:08 PM
Ramon Maroni

coulda went either way

but I do think Shields won

I had 2-2 going into the 5th

5th rd sucked, but Jake did more then Maia IMO
10/10/13 2:13 PM
Lazer MMA

JStrongMMA -  Am I the only one that scored the first round for Jake? He landed more strikes to open the round then Maia got two takedowns but didnt sustain the offense and Jake ended the round on top for the final 2+ minutes. Phone Post

No. Sherdog gave two 10-10's (as did I) and one guy scored it for Jake.
10/10/13 2:14 PM
Lazer MMA

Ramon Maroni - coulda went either way

but I do think Shields won

I had 2-2 going into the 5th

5th rd sucked, but Jake did more then Maia IMO

This was junkie's take too BTW

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.