UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP Contemplating Retirement Post Hendricks?

10/10/13 12:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ErikMagraken
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's the tweet from Mike Bohn:

Mike Bohn ?@MikeBohnMMA 9m
RT @MMA_NOUVELLES: @arielhelwani Firas just told @tvasports that if GSP does not have the motivation after Hendricks fight, he will retire.

Yesterday's story about GSP's displeasure re: the UFC's response on the PED situation may be quite the story.
10/10/13 12:55 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He might be the first fighter that doesn't need the UFC in any way post-career.

Nothing for him to prove if he wants to go.

Still, the UFC needs to right this wrong so that if he does retire we can see him get all the accolades he deserves without them doing their "We're done with you, you can;t make us money any more, so we'll destroy you."

10/10/13 1:14 PM
MEOWticket
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
10/10/13 1:15 PM
Card
1815 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP talked about retirement in March, saying Silva would be his last fight... but that was before Silva lost.

Herman Munster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for him if that is what he decides to do.  I completely support that decision.  

Herman Munster

Edited: 10/10/13 1:14 PM

10/10/13 1:17 PM
morse
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn...
10/10/13 1:18 PM
JStrongMMA
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has plenty of money and will have a lot of opportunities after the UFC. On top of that he has nothing left to prove in this sport. He has beaten everyone. Phone Post
10/10/13 1:22 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And mark my words, when he retires, the army of GSP haters will finally see the light and realize what a great asset he was to the sport.

He made it respectable to the masses, made it fun for kids, spoke with intelligence and deep-thought, and as the poster above said, beat everyone.

All-time great, and in the top 5 all-time.
10/10/13 1:25 PM
Chris Leben is a Zombie

Bittersweet, I really like GSP but it would be nice to see him go out ontop and unhurt.

How many wins/title defenses is he away from beats Silva's record? Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 1:26 PM
Willin
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for him to get out of the sport while taking relatively limited long term damage. Go swim in those millions and drink a bit, George! Phone Post
10/10/13 1:27 PM
JStrongMMA
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - And mark my words, when he retires, the army of GSP haters will finally see the light and realize what a great asset he was to the sport.

He made it respectable to the masses, made it fun for kids, spoke with intelligence and deep-thought, and as the poster above said, beat everyone.

Definitely the best WW of all time. Phone Post
10/10/13 1:32 PM
CaliKush
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People need to start going nick Diaz on gsp, motivate him to put on a porformonce.

I can see him taking a Michael Jordan type hiatus tho. Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 1:53 PM
klabo

ErikMagraken - Here's the tweet from Mike Bohn:

Mike Bohn ?@MikeBohnMMA 9m
RT @MMA_NOUVELLES: @arielhelwani Firas just told @tvasports that if GSP does not have the motivation after Hendricks fight, he will retire.

Yesterday's story about GSP's displeasure re: the UFC's response on the PED situation may be quite the story.
I don't blame him... He's older and wants to fight clean fighters and fair fights. Dana pretty much shit on his cash cow with the whole public dissing on the testing.... However I get Dana's points. Not his problem and costs a ton of $$ Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 2:14 PM
TuLegit

He'll lose to Johnny then hetire Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 2:22 PM
Vote me down

Johnny gonna retire dat ass, im not impressed by you're decisions George.
10/10/13 2:31 PM
MrHughes1991
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Georges has been a great champion. To me, his shining moment was coming back from injury and having the all time classic with Condit. Great champion and great guy, and I'll miss him when he's gone. One of the only champions I don't despise because of his attitude
10/10/13 2:37 PM
shaqitup
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It could be posturing for a greater contract tbh, what other way does he have to do it?

Right now a good draw for a card is 450k+.

GSP brings in around 800k for most of his fights. So what would another card with his name on it bring in terms of PPV revenue for them, 10-20 million i would think, then significantly increased media attention in Canada, and he's a great ambassador to have promoting and representing their brand.

I'm sure if the UFC ups his disclosed pay, and gives him a nice bump in terms of PPV revenue he'd be down for another 4 months of trainin.

I do think he wants to go out on top though, and he probably thinks at this point he's slowing down a bit and doesn't want to get caught.

He will probably never have to work again though, he's made a lot of money with the UFC, and doesn't come across as a big spender.

He can land some random movie roles, and probably just open up a gym with his name on it.

10/10/13 2:50 PM
Bentleysuper8
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herman Munster - 

Good for him if that is what he decides to do.  I completely support that decision.  

Go out on top (hopefully).
10/10/13 2:53 PM
SDinsomniac

Good riddance. The welterweight division will be so much more exciting. New champ every year! Phone Post
10/10/13 3:00 PM
ShowtimeWreckedMyLeever

I've been saying this since rory beat jake Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 3:01 PM
kid chaos
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - And mark my words, when he retires, the army of GSP haters will finally see the light and realize what a great asset he was to the sport.

This

He is top. Nobody comes close IMO Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 3:02 PM
kid chaos
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kid chaos -

This

He is top. Nobody comes close IMO Phone Post 3.0
Sorry misread, thought you said top 5 for the sport Phone Post 3.0
10/10/13 4:01 PM
SDinsomniac

Yeah nobody comes close, no denying that. Phone Post
10/10/13 4:13 PM
LostInPeteCarrollsBlueEyes
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He won't retire. I've seen this too many times. They always retire, make the heart of fans grow fonder, and come back bigger stars than ever.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.