UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Documentary stirs ghosts still haunting Shamrock

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/10/13 12:50 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Tonight Spike TV will debut a special documentary, Frank Shamrock: Bound by Blood, which takes an in depth look at the life and career of the former UFC champion. Shamrock also confronts his past when he sits on one one with foster brother Ken Shamrock, whom he hadn't spoken to in fifeteen years. Sports Illustrated's Loretta Hunt was privy to the documentary early and expressed her thoughts in this piece of SI.com:

As the documentary climaxes to the dramatic final sit-down between estranged adoptive brothers (sadly, whittled down from 90 to nine minutes), there's no denying that substantial emotional wreckage has piled up on both sides. This runs much deeper than sibling rivalry. There is talk of humiliation, of cowardice, of jealousy and family betrayal. It's a riveting discussion between two athletes recognized for their theatrics, (whether subtle or not), which makes it difficult to predict whether the tete-a-tete will ring completely authentic among more skeptical viewers, especially when the subject of a potential fight is reintroduced.

Motivations might be questioned: both were compensated to participate in this project. However, neither Frank nor Ken suggested Ken's inclusion at the project's inception, said Spike TV Executive Producer Terry Minogue.

"In our first production meetings, I asked if we could at least get Ken on camera," said Minogue. "When we found out from Frank that they hadn't spoken in years, that's when we broached reuniting them on camera. Getting them both in the same room together was the only thing that was produced about that."

Why Frank and Ken couldn't have met behind closed doors, away from the lights and cameras and paychecks will be a topic for debate. We can all believe that some things are best left out of the public eye, but that's easier said than done. For those that have spent most of their lives in the spotlight, maybe this is where they feel the safest. In the end, it's Ken who probably puts it best.

"I'm not sure we could have gotten it done any other way than like this, face-to-face," Ken says, as he drives away from the scene. "No way of skirting around."

For MMA enthusiasts, Shamrock will be an enlightening hour. It also takes a more serious tone than Spike's previous MMA programming. But at its heart, Shamrock is not about MMA. It's about love and hurt, and finding forgiveness and acceptance in the face of dysfunction. For Frank, on his own road of self-improvement, it was about finding peace.

read entire article...

10/10/13 4:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
quality
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

explodin - It's all a scam to setup Frank vs Ken in bellator Phone Post 3.0

I still want to see it. Hopefully it's a good show. If a fight is setup from this I will also be happy. I think "legends" matches should be more common.
10/10/13 5:00 PM
Lazer MMA

TTT
10/10/13 5:11 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks good.
10/10/13 5:25 PM
liquidrob
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tonight!
10/10/13 6:19 PM
AristidesBrito
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
10/10/13 6:32 PM
Sprawl'n'Stall
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BengalWACO - 
quality - 
explodin - It's all a scam to setup Frank vs Ken in bellator Phone Post 3.0

I still want to see it. Hopefully it's a good show. If a fight is setup from this I will also be happy. I think "legends" matches should be more common.

I agree with quality.

+1

Even if this was "partially staged", you think these two have no real beef with one another?

And I also think some "legends" fights are a great idea.
10/10/13 6:48 PM
FingerorMoon
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a fan of both guys ....sort of odd to say they haven't talked in 15 years when there has been numerous references from both of them about touching base and conversations they've shared over the last few years....

They were both setting up a 'brother vs brother' PPV a few years ago. They did that without talking ?

Ken's Strikeforce Kimbo match turned into a debacle but at one point Ken was part of that org for a main event and Frank was not just the on camera commentator but one of the 'powers that be' behind the scenes......yet they never talked then either ?

I call shenanigans.....
10/10/13 6:50 PM
jdb2414
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/10/13 6:50 PM
Total respect for Frank's fighting abilities back in the day, and what he did to inspire the new breed of athlete & conditioning at the time, but the Shamrocks are way too pro-wrestling/soap opera for me. So over-the-top fake. I don't want to see these guys busted out ex-fighters, but I wish they could make a living and be genuine at the same time. They've been through so much and I don't need to see them dramatize everything.

I realize that I'm going to get some serious hate for this comment.
10/10/13 7:19 PM
AnakinHelwani
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank and Ken are interesting guys. Too bad they can't access the UFC, Pride, and Strikeforce libraries.

10/10/13 8:18 PM
FingerorMoon
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jdb2414 - Total respect for Frank's fighting abilities back in the day, and what he did to inspire the new breed of athlete & conditioning at the time, but the Shamrocks are way too pro-wrestling/soap opera for me. So over-the-top fake. I don't want to see these guys busted out ex-fighters, but I wish they could make a living and be genuine at the same time. They've been through so much and I don't need to see them dramatize everything.

It was their over the top theatrics (along with Tito's and their respective feuds) that built MMA in America though ....

10/10/13 10:39 PM
liquidrob
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

11pm
10/11/13 12:56 PM
buddie
453 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought that was a strange program.
10/11/13 1:55 PM
jdb2414
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FingerorMoon - 
jdb2414 - Total respect for Frank's fighting abilities back in the day, and what he did to inspire the new breed of athlete & conditioning at the time, but the Shamrocks are way too pro-wrestling/soap opera for me. So over-the-top fake. I don't want to see these guys busted out ex-fighters, but I wish they could make a living and be genuine at the same time. They've been through so much and I don't need to see them dramatize everything.

It was their over the top theatrics (along with Tito's and their respective feuds) that built MMA in America though ....

Yep. And I hated it at the time, but I realize how much exposure it got for the sport. I think that fight in particular was when the UFC decided to appeal to pro-wrestling fans as opposed to other sports/fight fans. At least that's the feeling that I personally had at the time.
10/11/13 4:44 PM
UGCTT croy_00
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was an interesting show. I respect the name that the Shamrock's used to bring to the sport, but wish Ken would know when to stop. At the end, it really looked like he was trying to promote a fight between the two of them, as he is no doubt hurting for money. It's sad that it had to come to that.

10/11/13 7:41 PM
sux@bjj
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'll watch, and if a fight between frank and ken, i'm assuming frank wins by whatever.
10/11/13 8:16 PM
William Colosimo
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HUGE fan of both guys as fighters. That said, that show was fluff.

They used Pancrase fight footage that was grainy/pixilated so bad it was silly. I've seen 3rd generation vhs tapes with better quality. It's not like they were trying to find footage from the 1930's. Especially when I know (at least some) Pancrase fighters got copies of their fights.

It just seemed like it was thrown together quick, cheap, and sloppy. They couldn't even put the pictures in proper order when showing Frank vs Jackson as they told how the fight went. They show Frank getting up after the tap, then show the armbar.

Frank also came across incredibly fake IMO. Especially the stuff with his real brother. His real brother was just a pit stop on the more important mission- to meet his fake brother that Frank admits he never had any semblance of a relationship with since day one? Why is that more important than your real brother that has mental problems and lives on the streets? Sounds like $ is involved here.
10/11/13 9:19 PM
CindyO

I missed it:(

Link please and thank you:)

Cindy

10/11/13 10:38 PM
Mhorad
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

William Colosimo - HUGE fan of both guys as fighters. That said, that show was fluff.

They used Pancrase fight footage that was grainy/pixilated so bad it was silly. I've seen 3rd generation vhs tapes with better quality. It's not like they were trying to find footage from the 1930's. Especially when I know (at least some) Pancrase fighters got copies of their fights.

It just seemed like it was thrown together quick, cheap, and sloppy. They couldn't even put the pictures in proper order when showing Frank vs Jackson as they told how the fight went. They show Frank getting up after the tap, then show the armbar.

Frank also came across incredibly fake IMO. Especially the stuff with his real brother. His real brother was just a pit stop on the more important mission- to meet his fake brother that Frank admits he never had any semblance of a relationship with since day one? Why is that more important than your real brother that has mental problems and lives on the streets? Sounds like $ is involved here.

they showed old footage as they don't have rights to all the UFC footage.

hard to talk about the whole story without that sort of information.

a shame imo.

regardless of their relevance now, they are both an important part of MMA history, and deserve respect.
10/11/13 11:00 PM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand

4l8r Phone Post
10/11/13 11:03 PM
UGCTT_ShanTheMan
1109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT croy_00 - 

That was an interesting show. I respect the name that the Shamrock's used to bring to the sport, but wish Ken would know when to stop. At the end, it really looked like he was trying to promote a fight between the two of them, as he is no doubt hurting for money. It's sad that it had to come to that.

THIS. So awkward to try and sell him a fight right then....
10/11/13 11:30 PM
quality

I missed it but Spike.com has the full episode http://www.spike.com/episodes/lv4m2j/spike-specials-frank-shamrock-bound-by-blood-season-1-ep-001 . I'm going to watch it now.
10/12/13 12:49 AM
Fox censored my Chael screen name
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome, THANK YOU Quality, Quality post!

http://www.spike.com/episodes/lv4m2j/spike-specials-frank-shamrock-bound-by-blood-season-1-ep-001

Just got done watching the first part, was going to multi task and watch but I'm glued to this program!

10/12/13 12:55 AM
Fox censored my Chael screen name
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At the 12 minute 57 mark there is a picture of 8 guys.

Top row is I think(Bohlander)

For sure 2nd guy(left to right) is Telligman, then Guy Mezger, then Frank, then Pete Williams, then Vernon White

Bottom row is Mikey Burnett and who?

Basically is the top left guy Bohlander or someone else?(who)

And who is the guy next to Mikey Burnett?

10/12/13 1:10 AM
CindyO

quality - I missed it but Spike.com has the full episode http://www.spike.com/episodes/lv4m2j/spike-specials-frank-shamrock-bound-by-blood-season-1-ep-001 . I'm going to watch it now.
My man! Voted up!

Cindy Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.