UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jon Fitch wouldn't fight Palhares

10/13/13 2:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gotmysitchpackedbyweidman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And says he would refuse to fight him if he was matched up with him.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/10/13/4833852/wsof-jon-fitch-wont-fight-rousimar-palhares-ufc-bellator-mma-news

It's been a bad bad week for former UFC Welterweight Rousimar Palhares. First he didn't get the Submission of the Night bonus for tapping out Mike Pierce at UFC Fight Night 29. Then he was cut from the UFC for holding the dangerous heel hook submission too long (and injuring Pierce's knee in the process).

Then he was suspended for 120 days by Brazil's CABMMA. Then Bellator's Bjorn Rebney said they had no interest in signing him. Now the biggest star of the only other major North American promotion says he wouldn't fight Palhares under any circumstances.

Here's what Jon Fitch of the World Series of Fighting (WSOF) told Brian Hemminger:

"It was a second offense," said Fitch. "Holding onto a submission too long, especially with a joint lock like that. You're talking about ending someone's career potentially. I think it was the right move (to release him). I personally wouldn't accept a fight with [Palhares] because of those. One time maybe, but not twice. I would never even compete against him honestly. If he's got that long of a history of holding onto them too long, his career should probably be done because no one should take a fight with him or a grappling match with him for that matter." And if Fitch were offered a fight against Palhares? "It would be the first time in my career that I turned down a fight."

Thoughts? Is Palhares' career now ruined because fighters will start to play this card?

10/13/13 2:29 PM
LTL
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thoughts?

Already posted yesterday.....
10/13/13 2:30 PM
AbrahamCondorTheThird

yes, as it should be.. the guy is a tard who should not be fighting, people get injured enough as it is, let alone being heel hooked after you tap by a repeat offender Phone Post
10/13/13 2:31 PM
gotmysitchpackedbyweidman

LTL - Thoughts?

the search function didn't bring anything up at all........ link for the thread please?

10/13/13 2:33 PM
BrattMamley
1063 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LTL - Thoughts?

Lol Phone Post 3.0
10/13/13 2:40 PM
LTL
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gotmysitchpackedbyweidman - 
LTL - Thoughts?

the search function didn't bring anything up at all........ link for the thread please?

Did you try putting Fitch in the search box?

My links often don't work, but:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.frame&page=1
10/13/13 5:04 PM
RollHighAllDay

I would fight him, but he would have to be shackled before and after the fight, as well as dress and dye his skin to look like Blanka from street fighter II. Phone Post 3.0
10/13/13 5:14 PM
buvaiser

Basically Fitch is scared he gets his ass beat.
10/13/13 5:21 PM
FOX Force Five
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RollHighAllDay - I would fight him, but he would have to be shackled before and after the fight, as well as dress and dye his skin to look like Blanka from street fighter II. Phone Post 3.0

Are you Tyson Fury in disguise?
10/13/13 5:28 PM
Oontyex

buvaiser - Basically Fitch is scared he gets his ass beat.
This Phone Post 3.0
10/13/13 6:06 PM
maxbrothersinc
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oontyex -
This Phone Post 3.0
That Phone Post
10/14/13 11:16 AM
Diesel67

Sure.  Good way to be branded a coward for the rest of your life.  You're a fighter - you fight whomever they put in front of you.  Like Wandy does.

10/14/13 11:18 AM
ChaosOverkill
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

at the deductible Volkman quoted and whatever WSOF doesn't likely off in medical insurance I don't blame him

10/14/13 11:19 AM
JStrongMMA

Diesel67 -

Sure.  Good way to be branded a coward for the rest of your life.  You're a fighter - you fight whomever they put in front of you.  Like Wandy does.

Lol...yes, like Wandy does. Phone Post
10/14/13 11:34 AM
stevekt
616 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Fitch refusing fights was a contributing factor to his release from the UFC. He was cut from the UFC then lost a fight he was heavily favored to win against one of the few opponents he had previously finished. He's not really in a position to turn down a fight.
10/14/13 12:42 PM
JOESONDO
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Understandable. Holding him down for 15-25 minutes gives Palhares a lot of opportunity grab a leg. Phone Post 3.0
10/14/13 1:15 PM
R1WARRIOR

maxbrothersinc -
Oontyex -
This Phone Post 3.0
That Phone Post
This. Phone Post 3.0
10/14/13 1:36 PM
DanJer
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That statement says more about Fitch than it does about Paul Harris. Phone Post 3.0
10/14/13 2:10 PM
stevekt
616 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta - 
stevekt - I think Fitch refusing fights was a contributing factor to his release from the UFC. He was cut from the UFC then lost a fight he was heavily favored to win against one of the few opponents he had previously finished. He's not really in a position to turn down a fight.
Did you read the article? What makes you believe he's ever turned down a fight? He was the #2 guy forever and took all comers. Only person he would not fight is Koscheck and that was because they train together.

Fitch used to post here.... Phone Post 3.0

Sorry. Worded wrong. There was a time when Fitch said the only fights that he's interested in was re-matches with Penn or GSP. That's not refusing a fight but that's not exactly putting yourself out there to accept all challenges.
10/14/13 3:26 PM
JuniorCallMeMaybe

maxbrothersinc -
Oontyex -
This Phone Post 3.0
That Phone Post
those Phone Post 3.0
10/15/13 1:16 AM
stevekt

duckhuntgangsta - 
stevekt -
duckhuntgangsta - 
stevekt - I think Fitch refusing fights was a contributing factor to his release from the UFC. He was cut from the UFC then lost a fight he was heavily favored to win against one of the few opponents he had previously finished. He's not really in a position to turn down a fight.
Did you read the article? What makes you believe he's ever turned down a fight? He was the #2 guy forever and took all comers. Only person he would not fight is Koscheck and that was because they train together.

Sorry. Worded wrong. There was a time when Fitch said the only fights that he's interested in was re-matches with Penn or GSP. That's not refusing a fight but that's not exactly putting yourself out there to accept all challenges.
He did though. Consider he fought Erick Silva and Johnny Hendrix in his last two fights. That's bit exactly weak competition. Fitch is a stud. He wasn't born with any freakiest natural gifts. He just out worked everyone in the gym and had an incredible spirit. His style isn't always exciting but I'm a fan of Fitch. Phone Post 3.0

At that point he didn't have much of a choice. His financial issues were brought up often and after it was obvious the UFC had no interest in a GSP rematch he had to change his tune and fight who was put in front of him. He is on a bad slump that started in the UFC and continued into WSOF. I don't think he has the luxury of turning down fights.
10/15/13 1:42 AM
kingkoopa

Trick statement

Fitch never actually fights Phone Post
10/15/13 12:24 PM
stevekt

duckhuntgangsta -
stevekt -
duckhuntgangsta - 
stevekt -
duckhuntgangsta - 

He did though. Consider he fought Erick Silva and Johnny Hendrix in his last two fights. That's bit exactly weak competition. Fitch is a stud. He wasn't born with any freakiest natural gifts. He just out worked everyone in the gym and had an incredible spirit. His style isn't always exciting but I'm a fan of Fitch. Phone Post 3.0

At that point he didn't have much of a choice. His financial issues were brought up often and after it was obvious the UFC had no interest in a GSP rematch he had to change his tune and fight who was put in front of him. He is on a bad slump that started in the UFC and continued into WSOF. I don't think he has the luxury of turning down fights.
Ok, so by your logic what fights did he turn down? He fought BJ Penn, Silva, Damian Maia and Hendrix in his last fights.

Before that he went 21-1 only losing to GSP. Who is he "puss out" on?

I mean this in the kindest way, but when you think about it and stop listening to the UG mob its apparent Fitch was a stud who fought everybody there was to fight outside of AKA trying to work his way back to a title fight. He came damn close too. Phone Post 3.0
I've already addressed my comment on Fitch turning down fights. Yes, he's fought everyone put in front of him. There was a time when he could wield more input on the direction of his career and who he fought but now he should feel fortunate to still be signed to a major org because he doesn't have too many big paydays left. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.