UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fedor:I just felt like 'this guy, he just hates us

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10/14/13 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DatSpider
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Speaking through a translator, former PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko revealed to WHOA! TV this weekend as to one of the reasons we never saw him grace the Octagon. Although UFC president Dana White once called his mission to sign the MMA legend an 'obsession,' Emelianenko now claims he's precisely the reason it never happened.

"In my opinion, everything was in Dana White's hands,' says Emelianenko. "Because at that moment, I just felt like 'this guy, he just hates us.' Like, personally to [me]. There were insults coming from Dana White all the time. There were many very loud things said, but for real nothing happened. It was [all talk]."

As insults go, White slammed Emelianenko in 2009 saying the Russian refused to face top competition and that having him ranked among MMA's pound-for-pound best was 'f***ing insanity.' Emelianenko's manager, Vadim Finkelstein, was also a frequent target of White's, whom he unceremoniously dubbed, 'Vadummy.' Although White years later hinted at plans to lure both former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and Emelianenko out of retirement to finally meet, it never came to be.
10/14/13 8:33 AM
DatSpider
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/14/4835354/morning-report-fedor-emelianenko-ufc-dana-white-brock-lesnar-pride-mma-news
10/14/13 8:35 AM
JStrongMMA
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know the whole story between these two but they both missed out on a boatload of cash due to their differences. Phone Post
10/14/13 8:41 AM
Ramon Maroni
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

always wanted too see Fedor in the UFC
10/14/13 8:41 AM
MexiCain AmeriCain
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Fedor, but his manager is the one who fucked him over, not Dana. If his manager wasn't so insistent on the co promotion bullshit, Fedor would've been UFC HW Champ. Phone Post 3.0
10/14/13 8:42 AM
DatSpider

JStrongMMA -  I don't know the whole story between these two but they both missed out on a boatload of cash due to their differences. Phone Post

Agreed.

I can't help but feel cheated, as a fan,to have never witnessed the legend that is Fedor, fight in the UFC. It just seems wrong; helluva career though.
10/14/13 8:57 AM
eXtv
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MexiCain AmeriCain - I love Fedor, but his manager is the one who fucked him over, not Dana. If his manager wasn't so insistent on the co promotion bullshit, Fedor would've been UFC HW Champ. Phone Post 3.0

If the UFC hadn't have offered him such a dogshit contract in '07 he probably would've joined them too right then and there. Both sides were to blame for Fedor never fighting in the UFC.
10/14/13 8:59 AM
JStrongMMA
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DatSpider -
JStrongMMA -  I don't know the whole story between these two but they both missed out on a boatload of cash due to their differences. Phone Post

Agreed.

I can't help but feel cheated, as a fan,to have never witnessed the legend that is Fedor, fight in the UFC. It just seems wrong; helluva career though.
Yea..it really sucks it never happened.

For all the pro wrestling fans on here, it is a similar feeling to Sting never signing with WWE. Phone Post
10/14/13 9:12 AM
Garv
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"There were insults coming from Dana White all the time. There were many very loud things said, but for real nothing happened. It was [all talk]."

lol, story of Dana's life.  He's always been a blowhard beta male.  His UFC career has been dedicated to perpetuating the myth that he's he's a tough guy, but deep down he knows who he really is.  He'll never change that.

It is also the reason why Lorenzo had to relieve him of all business decision-making.  Lorenzo still lets Dana micro-manage things like the fighters' walkout music and the ring girls' wardrobes, but beyond that, he's pretty much on lockdown.  Dana's pathological insecurites makes him unqualified to negotiate, because he takes everything personally .  That doesn't work in business.

Besides, Fedor doesn't need to have fought in the UFC.  His legacy was made in Pride, when Pride had the best HWs on the planet. 

10/14/13 9:14 AM
tetris
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What did dans offer him? 7000/7000? Phone Post 3.0
10/14/13 9:18 AM
Devlin
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tetris - What did dans offer him? 7000/7000? Phone Post 3.0
Na 10/10, but just think of the sponsors, he could be making tens of dollars on his walkout short alone. Phone Post
10/14/13 9:21 AM
DatSpider

Garv - 

"There were insults coming from Dana White all the time. There were many very loud things said, but for real nothing happened. It was [all talk]."

lol, story of Dana's life.  He's always been a blowhard beta male.  His UFC career has been dedicated to perpetuating the myth that he's he's a tough guy, but deep down he knows who he really is.  He'll never change that.

It is also the reason why Lorenzo had to relieve him of all business decision-making.  Lorenzo still lets Dana micro-manage things like the fighters' walkout music and the ring girls' wardrobes, but beyond that, he's pretty much on lockdown.  Dana's pathological insecurites makes him unqualified to negotiate, because he takes everything personally .  That doesn't work in business.

Besides, Fedor doesn't need to have fought in the UFC.  His legacy was made in Pride, when Pride had the best HWs on the planet. 

How do you really feel about Dana, though ?
10/14/13 9:27 AM
Kneeblock
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor didn't need to go to the UFC imo. Heavyweight only got good in the past 3 years and by then he was in his sunset. Phone Post
10/14/13 10:01 AM
uberpinscher
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KOdClowning -
tetris - What did dans offer him? 7000/7000? Phone Post 3.0

I know you are making fun of the UFC pay, but hear it out. Maybe Fedor starts at 7 and 7 , but he was coming off of 3 losses. Usually the UFC doesn't sign fighters off of 3 losses. Not only that, but he would have gotten sponsors as well. I also find it hard to believe he couldn't command more than 7 and 7 either.

Further more, Fedor would have to prove he can still fight and he would be able to work his way up. He can win a sub or KO bonus as well.
Hah good job Phone Post 3.0
10/14/13 10:04 AM
tetris
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KOdClowning -
tetris - What did dans offer him? 7000/7000? Phone Post 3.0

I know you are making fun of the UFC pay, but hear it out. Maybe Fedor starts at 7 and 7 , but he was coming off of 3 losses. Usually the UFC doesn't sign fighters off of 3 losses. Not only that, but he would have gotten sponsors as well. I also find it hard to believe he couldn't command more than 7 and 7 either.

Further more, Fedor would have to prove he can still fight and he would be able to work his way up. He can win a sub or KO bonus as well.
Really? How much did they pay lesnar? Did he have to prove he could fight coming un with 2 fights under his belt? I guess fedor didn't prove himself by having 30some odd wins against some of the best. Phone Post 3.0
10/14/13 10:20 AM
OneSidedWar

Vadummy will be immortalized as the single most retarded figure in MMA Sports management history. Ive only seen old figures, but the amount of $ Fedor left on the table was mind-boggling. (Would have made him the single highest paid MMA fighter on the planet at that time.) Ya snooze, ya lose.
10/14/13 10:25 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
I blame Vadim. There was no way Zuffa was going to Co-Promote.
10/14/13 10:26 AM
stonepony

If you want to know why Fedor didn't sign, despite being offered the biggest MMA contract ever, just look at his SF record. UFC Hw's had already gotten too big, too strong, too athletic.

Smart thing would have been for him to sign at LHW where he belonged, maybe he could have been holding JJ's belt right now? I would have liked to have seen that fight.
10/14/13 10:27 AM
stonepony

P.S. he is still young enough to be competing. Many MMA fighters have fought more often, for more years, at a higher level. You don't hit your peak strength until 30. But, people like to pretend that Fedor was already a worn out old man when he was in his 20s.
10/14/13 10:39 AM
yomamafool

stonepony - If you want to know why Fedor didn't sign, despite being offered the biggest MMA contract ever, just look at his SF record. UFC Hw's had already gotten too big, too strong, too athletic.

Smart thing would have been for him to sign at LHW where he belonged, maybe he could have been holding JJ's belt right now? I would have liked to have seen that fight.

is bigfoot that much bigger than big nog? no.
was brett rogers bigger or more athletic than semmy shilt? no.
dan henderson is a bigger more athletic heavyweight? um no.

fedor lost just like he knew he eventually would. this was after a most remarkalbe and exciting career. he won time and time again when we all truly believed he would finally lose.

10/14/13 10:41 AM
stonepony

Yeah, he was fun to watch. He ducked the UFC competition though, sorry. Didn't face the best SF competition either.

People just can't cope with the slightest criticism of the guy. It's like a cult.
10/14/13 10:43 AM
eXtv
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stonepony - If you want to know why Fedor didn't sign, despite being offered the biggest MMA contract ever, just look at his SF record. UFC Hw's had already gotten too big, too strong, too athletic.

You actually think Fedor was scared of the big bad 'new breed' of Heavyweights like Brock Lesnar, Frank Mir and Shane Carwin? Give me a break.

The reason he didn't sign with the UFC was the fact that they could never agree on a contract that fit both of their needs. Simple.

The notion that the guy was afraid of UFC competition is laughable to me. It's Fedor that we're talking about here.
10/14/13 10:58 AM
stonepony

eXtv - 

You actually think Fedor was scared of the big bad 'new breed' of Heavyweights like Brock Lesnar, Frank Mir and Shane Carwin? Give me a break.

The reason he didn't sign with the UFC was the fact that they could never agree on a contract that fit both of their needs. Simple.

The notion that the guy was afraid of UFC competition is laughable to me. It's Fedor that we're talking about here.

He demanded what he knew he couldn't get, so that people like yourself could pretend that was trying to get in to the UFC but couldn't be signed because DW didn't want UFC fighters to be embarrassed.

Hey remember when Reem and Fedor fought for the SF title?... Or, was it DC he fought for the SF title? Maybe it was Barnett?

No... He squeaked by the tire salesmen and lost to old man Henderson (the guy who had just lost to a welterweight).

I would have loved to have seen the man in the UFC. But yeah, Brock, Shane, Frank, they would have beat him. I'm just not in the cult buddy. It was never about money, or some irrelevant Russian MMA concerns.
10/14/13 11:01 AM
PeteyWheatstraw
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"lol, story of Dana's life. He's always been a blowhard beta male. His UFC career has been dedicated to perpetuating the myth that he's he's a tough guy, but deep down he knows who he really is. He'll never change that."

He's basically a nerd.
10/14/13 11:09 AM
eXtv

stonepony - 
eXtv - 

He demanded what he knew he couldn't get, so that people like yourself could pretend that was trying to get in to the UFC but couldn't be signed because DW didn't want UFC fighters to be embarrassed.

Hey remember when Reem and Fedor fought for the SF title?... Or, was it DC he fought for the SF title? Maybe it was Barnett?

No... He squeaked by the tire salesmen and lost to old man Henderson (the guy who had just lost to a welterweight).

I would have loved to have seen the man in the UFC. But yeah, Brock, Shane, Frank, they would have beat him. I'm just not in the cult buddy. It was never about money, or some irrelevant Russian MMA concerns.

"He demanded what he knew he couldn't get"

You don't know that he himself demanded that. If your argument is based on making presumptions that Fedor was deciding what was being negotiated, your argument is fundamentally flawed. Fedor himself went on record and said that Vadim and M-1 handled his contractual negotiations. He took a very back-seat approach to it.

"Reem and Fedor fought for the SF title?"

Remember when M-1 specifically asked for Olympic-style drug testing because they knew Reem was on roids and the fight never happened because of that? Remember when they would have fought in the GP anyway if Alistair didn't get injured and if Fedor beat Bigfoot because they were in the same bracket for the tournament?

"DC he fought for the SF title?"

Only became a notable name after Fedor left Strikeforce. Completely moot point and a poor attempt to talk shit on Fedor's career.

"Maybe it was Barnett?"

Josh got caught roiding in 2009 and turned down the fight in 2006 (but still fought Minotauro on the same card). It was his fault that the fight didn't happen, not Fedor's.

"He squeaked by the tire salesmen"

If you mean won the first round by schooling Brett (highly ranked, just slept Andrei in 20 seconds and was 10-0 with 9 stoppages) on the feet and taking him down multiple times, then KTFO him in the 2nd, sure. He 'squeaked' past him. lolz

"lost to old man Henderson (the guy who had just lost to a welterweight)"

Old Man Henderson? Hendo was better than ever at that point, just KTFO Feijao and Babalu and had been on TRT for years. No weight cut and on a great run. The Hendo that Fedor fought was arguably the best Hendo to ever step in the cage. And yes, he lost to Shields after gassing himself out in the first round because he owned him so hard in the first round. So what? Hendo was still one of the best ever and is world-class. Stop clutching at straws to hate.

"Brock, Shane, Frank, they would have beat him."

Not assured by any means. Brock folded once he took punishment, Carwin was robotic on the feet and had little cardio, and Mir has always had a weak jaw and susceptible to guys that take it to him. Fedor had beaten better guys in the past and even though he was over the hill in 2009 I'd still favour him to beat those guys.

"It was never about money, or some irrelevant Russian MMA concerns."

Wrong. Even Dana himself said this: "Fedor's not afraid to come over here and fight, he's just got nutty managers that try to strong-arm us."

There you have it. Fedor's #1 detractor and a guy actually present in negotiations himself disagreeing with you. Look at that. Sorry that reality doesn't fit with your anti-Fedor 'he was scurred because I say so!' agenda.
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.