UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bigger Upset, Serra over GSP or Cormier SF GP

10/14/13 6:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wrestling4life
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Serra easy Phone Post 3.0
10/14/13 6:23 PM
shaqitup
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

going back, in terms of chances happening and what people thought of cormier, probably him as everybody thought reem was a world beater and fedor "got caught" against werdum.

People also didn't know he was as good as he was.

But in terms of actual skill disparity i would go with Serra.

10/14/13 7:11 PM
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP losing to Serra was a huger upset.

DC winning the SFGP was more of a odd sequence of events that lead him to get his shot, he defintley had the skills win, it was a matter of how he got into the brackets. Phone Post 3.0
10/14/13 7:16 PM
gogoyoface703
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cormier winning was hardly an upset. When the brackets were up I picked Barnett to win the whole thing. As soon as Daniel replaced Overeem, I picked him to win. Its funny how most MMA fans dont know talent until a guy is actually holding a belt
10/14/13 7:19 PM
Fox censored my Chael screen name

BigWilliam - Serra beating GSP. Cormier was a very legit threat from the outset and when Alistair dropped out it did not surprise me at all that he ended up winning the whole thing. I thought Josh had an edge in experience and striking and could beat him, but I wouldn't have bet money on it. And then we found out Josh did not have an edge in striking at all.

Going into the GSP fight noone gave Serra a chance that was not directly related to him somehow.

The poll wasn't, "after Alistair dropped out", it was based on before any match ups in the gp started.

Challenge-find ANYONE on the UG who predicted Daniel Cormier would win the tournament.

10/14/13 7:22 PM

mose - Cormier was not 'some alternate'. He was a top HW prospect that everyone was talking about. And, 'wins over names no one had heard of'. Sorry, that's not accurate either.

Tell me who was someone that people heard of before Monson. This should be good for a laugh.

10/14/13 7:28 PM
lgi

Why make a poll just to argue with people's opinion? GSP vs Serra, my a mile.
10/14/13 7:34 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
516 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fox censored my Chael screen name -
BigWilliam - Serra beating GSP. Cormier was a very legit threat from the outset and when Alistair dropped out it did not surprise me at all that he ended up winning the whole thing. I thought Josh had an edge in experience and striking and could beat him, but I wouldn't have bet money on it. And then we found out Josh did not have an edge in striking at all.

Going into the GSP fight noone gave Serra a chance that was not directly related to him somehow.

The poll wasn't, "after Alistair dropped out", it was based on before any match ups in the gp started.

Challenge-find ANYONE on the UG who predicted Daniel Cormier would win the tournament.

That's because he wasn't in the tournament when it began lol. If the UFC did a 205 tourney and Jones was not included in the 8 participants so nobody picked him to win, would you consider it a major upset if he replaced someone in the final four and won? Phone Post
10/14/13 7:39 PM
HenryO

Bizarre fuckin poll mate

10/14/13 7:43 PM
BKViper
409 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bigfoot and Barnett was impressive, but he would only be above Serra in holy shit moments if it had been Fedor and Overeem he had beat. Phone Post 3.0
10/14/13 8:14 PM

Mark Hunt's Pet Monkey makes a good point that no one mentioned.

But, for those of us who are into mma more than the average fan, It came down to Alistair, Fedor, or Barnett.

DC was a hot prospect but hadn't shown much versatility and hadn't been tested. Nobody would've picked him to win the tournament.

10/14/13 8:35 PM
madmav

not even close.. serra destroying gsp was fucking epic.
10/14/13 9:43 PM
Mechanical Bull

Serra was the biggest upset for sure but people dont give Matt enough credit, google him and look at his accomplishments, he is not a scrub...
10/14/13 9:45 PM
OGT
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not close IMHO, serra was given no chance to beat GSP, Cormier was untested and scary, still is. Phone Post
10/14/13 9:57 PM
JJSFC
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can try and justify this thread as much as you like, but it's clear to everyone else that Serra pulled off the bigger upset.

Alternate/wildcard or not, Cormier was getting crazy hype with his background in wrestling and how he was destroying 'lesser' opposition.

Serra was known as a pure BJJ guy, was on a TUF show for aging fighters who were begging for a second shot to BE in the UFC, let alone fight for the belt. Not to mention that most people thought Lytle won the TUF 4 finale fight. GSP was seen as an unstoppable fighter but was finished by a bloated 155er who absolutely no one thought would win.

Cormier's wins were very impressive and I'm sure they surprised some people. But, comparing these two situations is like comparing apples and oranges. Phone Post 3.0
10/14/13 11:45 PM

Matt Serra had a legit black belt and had already proven himself against several top guys.

Beating GSP was surprising, but beating him in that fashion was shocking.

Even though I'm in the minority, I still stand by my choice for reasons I have stated.(which no one has refuted)

10/15/13 12:06 AM
ufc98newb
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From what point are you talking about? When the grand prix was set and Cormier wasn't in it? The odds were of course horrible that he would win. It was an upset that he got thrown in there, let alone won it. But from the time he was entered in as an alternate, I believe there were many, many people who gave him a good chance to win, looking ahead at the matchups he was going to get. 

There were not many, many people who gave Serra a chance against GSP.

10/15/13 12:19 AM
ufc98newb
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is a bloody elbow fight preview from prior to Cormier vs Bigfoot. Note that this prediction was made before Cormier had ever beaten a top heavyweight, and after Bigfoot had destroyed Fedor. 

Silva is by no means deficient in his skills. He's a solid Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu artist, and he continues to improve on the feet. His size is a huge advantage from the top, but it can slow him down in the stand-up department. Cormier isn't a dynamic striker by any stretch of the imagination. He does, however, have the power and speed to put punches past Silva's defenses. If he can do that, we have an upset in the making.

I think that's wishful thinking on my part however. We're talking about an Olympic caliber wrestler who has years of experience grinding out opponents on the mat. Silva might be big, strong, and honed in the arts of grappling, but Cormier is no Spring chicken. He's faced bigger and badder before, and he's succeeded. Tough to call how he wins, but I think he wins regardless. Cormier via decision.

10/15/13 12:22 AM
ufc98newb

predictions before the barnett fight:

Junior dos Santos, reigning UFC heavyweight champion, said: "They are both great fighters and this is a fight that could end very quickly for each guy. But Cormier is more explosive and has the better chances to end this early. It could be very exciting, but I think Cormier wins."

Frank Mir, two-time UFC heavyweight champion, said: "I think Cormier takes this. I can't see Barnett getting him to the ground, his wrestling is too strong. And on the feet I think Cormier has the power to end things. But with two top heavyweights, anything can happen. That's why this division is so exciting - anyone who is world class can beat anyone else with one punch. You can't say that about the lighter weight classes and that's why heavyweight fights are so cool to watch."

Cain Velasquez, former UFC heavyweight champion said: "I pick Daniel Cormier. Number one, because I train with him but also because he's so hungry in this sport, I don't think he will be denied. He was really raw when he came into our gym the first time a couple of years ago but he picked up everything a lot faster than most. He has dangerous strikes and I can't see Josh getting him to the ground. Daniel's wrestling is too good; I think he takes this fight and makes a statement about his future in the division."

Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva, who reached the Grand Prix semi-final stage before losing to Cormier, also picked his old rival for the win, saying: "I think Cormier will win this fight and be the Grand Prix Champion. I was very surprised by him in our fight. I think he is too strong, too powerful in this fight. He punches very hard and his wrestling is very good. I think he will win inside the distance unless Josh Barnett gets this to the ground quickly."

That's four picks for Cormier, none for Barnett. You Maniacs agree with the UFC heavyweights?

10/15/13 12:25 AM
Choochy
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cormier was the favorite or even money in all of his fights in the GP.

Serra upset all day. Phone Post
10/15/13 1:16 AM

@UFC98newb

So we're posting articles now?

http://mmafrenzy.com/28580/originally-an-alternate-daniel-cormier-now-ready-to-fill-in-as-strikeforce-champion/

"In one year I went from a guy barely in the top 25 to now in the top 10"-Daniel Cormier

This before his tournament final with Barnett.

Although I'm clearly in the minority, I would rather bet on one man getting an upset against a great fighter, than one man being in a tournament with 3 great fighters and having to win 3 times in a row.  

Hindsight has shown us how legit DC is, but he was far less proven than Matt Serra was compared to when Serra faced GSP and when DC was fighting for an alternate spot in a deep hw tournament.

10/15/13 3:35 AM
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much

If I recall Serra was a +700.

Now for Cormier to win that tourny he had to beat:
Monson in which Cormier was -275
Silva in which Cormier was -135
Barnett in which Cormier was +150

If that is a parlay that would be $493.43, so bigger upset would be Serra by a long ways.

Cormier odds are the opening odds which can be seen here:
http://www.bestfightodds.com/fighters/Daniel-Cormier-1583

If you took actual best odds, it would be even more in favor of Serra.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.