UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Velasquez passed on submitting JDS to prove point

10/15/13 11:23 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Junior Dos Santos knocked out Cain Velasquez in the first round the first tie they met. Velasquez beat up Dos Santos for five rounds in the second match, however Velasquez believes he could have submitted him, but just didn't want to:

From the earlier moments of that bout, it was clear that Velasquez on that night was the far better man.

Velasquez had several opportunities to end dos Santos' night early by grabbing a submission. Velasquez, though, eschewed the numerous submission opportunities that presented themselves during the fight.

This was no accident. Velasquez is an accomplished jiu-jitsu player and was recently awarded his black belt. He'll fight dos Santos for the third time Saturday in the main event of UFC 166 with the heavyweight belt again at stake in Houston's Toyota Center.

Velasquez, who had lost his title to dos Santos at UFC on Fox 1 on Nov. 12, 2011, made a conscious effort to skip the submission the last time out as a way of making a brutal and painful point.

"My style of fighting, I'd rather end fights with ground and pound and stuff like that," Velasquez told Yahoo Sports. "I felt he took something away from me that was mine, and I figured I had to make him pay for that. That's why I didn't go for the submission."

read entire article...

10/15/13 11:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Herring In A Fur Coat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings

What point did he prove - that he can't finish Junior in 5 rounds despite having him badly hurt in the first?

10/15/13 11:29 PM
in_different
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herring In A Fur Coat - 

What point did he prove - that he can't finish Junior in 5 rounds despite having him badly hurt in the first?

Psshh, it should have been so easy. All he had to do was finish him
10/15/13 11:29 PM
shaqitup
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herring In A Fur Coat - 

Probably the point that he can beat the piss out of the champion for 25 minutes

10/15/13 11:36 PM
ShakeR_

"I didn't submit him because I wanted to make him pay [for 5 rounds]"

and risk getting knocked out by a heavy weight like JDS? I find that hard to believe. Phone Post 3.0
10/15/13 11:41 PM
newtotheinterweb

shaqitup -
Herring In A Fur Coat - 

Probably the point that he can beat the piss out of the champion for 25 minutes

Pretty silly though. The longer you're in there the greater the chance you'll make an error or get caught. Chael dominated Silva too, until he didn't. You can win 99% of a fight and still get caught. Especially at heavyweight against a guy like JDS. I think if you can finish, you finish. Phone Post 3.0
10/15/13 11:52 PM
Bobby Lupo
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cain couldn't finish a zombie JDS and was gassed himself. Cain landed hundreds of punches on Kongo, Rothwell and 2 saints without finishing. Phone Post 3.0
10/15/13 11:57 PM
GodSaveTheReem
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i doubt Cain said that...has to be either a bullshit quote or taken out of context. Just doesn't seem his style.
10/16/13 12:04 AM
FedorEmilioEstevez
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GodSaveTheReem - i doubt Cain said that...has to be either a bullshit quote or taken out of context. Just doesn't seem his style.
Agreed Phone Post 3.0
10/16/13 12:05 AM
ranier wolfcastle
949 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i say bs

if youve got a sure thing sub, u r gonna take it every time

10/16/13 12:11 AM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
379 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Lives Here - Baaaaahahahaha. That would have given Junior a good laugh

The real reason Cain didn't submit him is a combination of:

1) You didn't have enough confidence in your submission skills and didn't want to take the risk
2) Junior got back to his feet quite quickly, every single time Phone Post 3.0
Cain had Junior in an armbar attempt, and pretty much just let it go. If he had wanted that arm, he would have taken that arm. Phone Post
10/16/13 12:53 AM
GodSaveTheReem
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Lives Here - 
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap - 
MMA Lives Here - Baaaaahahahaha. That would have given Junior a good laugh

The real reason Cain didn't submit him is a combination of:

1) You didn't have enough confidence in your submission skills and didn't want to take the risk
2) Junior got back to his feet quite quickly, every single time Phone Post 3.0
Cain had Junior in an armbar attempt, and pretty much just let it go. If he had wanted that arm, he would have taken that arm. Phone Post

Or they were both really sweaty and JDS managed to slide out of it...could go either way
10/16/13 12:59 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
546 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does this make Cain a double point fighter? Fighting to win by points and to prove a point? Phone Post
10/16/13 1:08 AM
I Love Stun Gun's Dong
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whatever you say Cain.

10/16/13 1:17 AM
Warriormmd
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - Does this make Cain a double point fighter? Fighting to win by points and to prove a point? Phone Post
Lmao one of my favorite posts ever Phone Post 3.0
10/16/13 1:37 AM
huggy bear

If he really said this and it wasn't taken out of context this is pretty dark and ruthless. Phone Post 3.0
10/16/13 3:18 AM
HertogJan
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/16/13 3:20 AM
They have both said something silly now so I guess they're even.

Cain with the "I wanted to prove a point" statement and JDS with the "Cain hits like a girl" statement (even thought Cain knocked him down with that girl punch).

They both seem like very likeable dudes and I can't wait for this match.

10/16/13 5:11 AM
Bucephalus

Edited: 10/16/13 5:18 AM
Atkinson - So instead of really proving something by going for a KO, Cain instead "proved" something by pitter pattering away on a badly hurt JDS for 25 mins.

Way to prove a point Cain! Phone Post 3.0

Of course.

Pitter. Patter.

Putter. Butter. Flubber. Dubber. Doo.

10/16/13 5:15 AM
lockon
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, I had completely forgotten how bad JDS' face looked after that fight. Hoping this next bout is just as exciting, really looking forward to it.
10/16/13 5:16 AM
Bucephalus

Either way, it's a good thing they both have wives who love them.

10/16/13 6:18 AM
Clarence Parents
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/16/13 6:18 AM

No can defend hot girlfriend JDS.

10/16/13 6:24 AM
Bucephalus

Edited: 10/16/13 6:35 AM
If Cain didn't push the pace and just rode out a decision, that would be one thing... But he didn't. It was total domination. He set records at UFC 155.

Dos Santos had only been taken down twice in all NINE of his fights prior to fighting Cain at UFC 155. Cain took him down ELEVEN times that night.

Dos Santos had been hit with with an average of 14 significant strikes in all of his UFC fights prior to UFC 155. Cain landed 111 significant strikes that night... a significant strike every ten seconds... the highest rate in UFC history.

Cain is the only fighter in UFC history to land a triple-double in significant strikes and takedowns (triple digit significant strikes and double digit takedowns).

No former UFC HW champion has ever taken that much punishment for that much time in a championship match in the history of the UFC.
10/16/13 6:34 AM
Bobby Lupo
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's troubling that Cain has landed so often on JDS, Kongo, Rothwell and that chubby Hungarian or Croatian without being able to put them away. Sometimes it looks like he hits like a MW. Literally hundreds of punches landed and dudes were still hanging around
10/16/13 6:37 AM
Bucephalus

Bobby Lupo - It's troubling that Cain has landed so often on JDS, Kongo, Rothwell and that chubby Hungarian or Croatian without being able to put them away. Sometimes it looks like he hits like a MW. Literally hundreds of punches landed and dudes were still hanging around

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention.

Cain has more KO's than any heavyweight in UFC history.
10/16/13 6:38 AM
Bobby Lupo

Bucephalus - 
Bobby Lupo - It's troubling that Cain has landed so often on JDS, Kongo, Rothwell and that chubby Hungarian or Croatian without being able to put them away. Sometimes it looks like he hits like a MW. Literally hundreds of punches landed and dudes were still hanging around

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention.

Cain has more KO's than any heavyweight in UFC history.

TKO after landing 6,765 punches. Dude, watch with your eyes

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.