UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Aoki Interview - talks FW debut, fighting in USA

10/17/13 9:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fight! UK Online
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shinya Aoki has his first fight at featherweight this weekend against Tiger Muay Thai's Cody Stevens. In this interview, Aoki talks about how he wants to be a multiple weight champion, how ONE FC are pushing the sport forward in Asia, and why we're unlikely to see him competing in the US again any time soon:

"This is a long-term goal to compete and win titles in both weight classes. I know Koji Oishi (current FW champion) is good, but I have faced many guys like him in Japan. I am the best guy from Japan and Asia and I don’t think that he will be be able to defeat me. I want to fight him because he has the championship.”

Aoki became ONE FC lightweight champion after beating Kotetsu Baku at 'Kings and Champions’. Eduard Folayong and Ole Laursen are two possible opponents at lightweight, and Aoki has no preference as to who he would like to meet there:

"I really don’t care who they put in front of me I will defeat them. There’s no lightweight now that can defeat me.”

“I do not want to compete in the United States. When you travel from Asia, the jetlag is significant and there is not enough time to deal with it. It puts us on a significant disadvantage against our opponents. The time zone issue is very significant and that is often overlooked.

"The judging also favours American wrestlers. I think ONE FC is the best place to compete. They have the best rules, best fans, best sponsors.”

http://www.yourmma.tv/fighters/interview-details.asp/id/364/shinya-aoki-one-fc-total-domination-interview.htm

10/17/13 10:08 AM
RockTheVote
577 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i dont disagree with his reasoning. anyone know how the rules are different in that org?

10/17/13 10:25 AM
Tomato Can
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aoki is such a tool.
10/17/13 10:43 AM
the pimp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The jet lag is to much for him but he sure doesn't count the jet lag that other fighters experience coming to japan to fight him. Phone Post 3.0
10/17/13 10:50 AM
Tomato Can
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aoki is 1-2 when fighting in the US. Shockingly, the 2 losses were to elite fighters and the 1 win wasn't. But surely it has more to do with jetlag than quality of opposition.
10/17/13 11:17 AM
cm81
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RockTheVote -

i dont disagree with his reasoning. anyone know how the rules are different in that org?

One FC = UFC rules + soccer kicks and knees to grounded opponent.

Judging is for the whole fight and not round by round.

All in all, the ruleset has led to a lot of stoppages.

The only thing they could have done better would be to put it in a ring. And stick to Pride style rounds (10 min 1st rd). Phone Post
10/17/13 11:45 AM
Fight! UK Online
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One FC: Total Domination Weigh In Results

MAIN EVENT

ONE FC Bantamweight World Championship Unification bout: Bibiano Fernandes (60.9 kg/134 lbs) VS Soo Chul Kim ( 61.1 kg/ 135 lbs)

MAIN CARD

Featherweight bout: Cody Stevens (65.8 kg/ 145 lbs) VS Shinya Aoki (65.5 kg/144 lbs)

Lightweight bout: Peter Davis (70.1 kg/155 lbs) VS Eddie Ng (70 kg/154 lbs)

Middleweight bout: Rafael Silva (83.75 kg/ 185 lbs) VS Tatsuya Mizuno (83.4 kg/184 lbs)

Light Heavyweight bout: Sylvain Potard (93 kg/205 lbs) VS Jake Butler (92.95 kg/205 lbs)

Featherweight bout: Shannon Wiratchai (65.7 kg/ 145 lbs) VS Mitch Chilson (65.7 kg/145 lbs)

Flyweight bout: Khim Dima (56.7 kg/125 lbs) VS Rene Catalan (56.7 kg/125 lbs)

UNDERCARD

Strawweight bout: Ann Osman ( 52 kg/115 lbs) VS Sherilyn Lim ( 52 kg/ 115 lbs)

Lightweight bout: Alex Lim (71.9 kg/159 lbs) VS Juan Wen Jie(71.75 kg/158 lbs)

Bantamweight bout: Marc Marcellinus ( 59.35 kg/ 131 lbs) vs Stephen Langdown ( 60.9 kg/ 134 lbs)

10/18/13 4:50 AM
Fight! UK Online

Fights aren't too far away!

10/18/13 6:02 AM
caseharts
510 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Kissimmee Phone Post
10/18/13 6:26 AM
ABE FROMAN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like he needs to convince himself he's the best when he couldn't prove it when given the chance. Phone Post
10/18/13 8:15 AM
Fight! UK Online

Yeah, it's not like any interpretation of the rules would have seen him beat Melendez.

10/19/13 3:14 AM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - Aoki is 1-2 when fighting in the US. Shockingly, the 2 losses were to elite fighters and the 1 win wasn't. But surely it has more to do with jetlag than quality of opposition.

Worth mentioning that he had already beaten 1/2 guys that beat him in the US since we're talking about quality of opposition.
10/19/13 1:57 PM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And not to deny anyone's opinion that Aoki can sound like an ass but its been talked about and not just amongst fighters for travelling in general that coming east to the Americas is a harder time adjustment that going west to Asia. My coworkers talk about it all the time. And, anyone actually disagrees that the judges favour wrestlers?

But yeah, the judging had nothing to do with the Gil or Alvarez fights in the US. His Alvarez rematch was his worst, not sure wtf he was doing there. at least against Gil, he stuck to his game and kept trying.
10/21/13 6:24 AM
Fight! UK Online

Surely at that level of MMA, with that much money involved, you can be in the States long enough for it not to be a factor? Or am I being ignorant?

10/21/13 9:49 AM
Tomato Can

Fight! UK Online - 

Surely at that level of MMA, with that much money involved, you can be in the States long enough for it not to be a factor? Or am I being ignorant?

It's perfectly doable. Okami, DHK, K-Zombie have all done it. You don't hear them using it as an excuse for their losses and then fucking off back to Asia to fight C-listers for years at a time.
10/21/13 11:25 AM
Kyle Cooley
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - 
Fight! UK Online - 

It's perfectly doable. Okami, DHK, K-Zombie have all done it. You don't hear them using it as an excuse for their losses and then fucking off back to Asia to fight C-listers for years at a time.

I can't remember if it was DHK or Korean Zombie, but one of them has complained about the jet lag publicly. Also, doesn't Okami train in Oregon with Chael for his fights in the US?
10/21/13 11:32 AM
Tomato Can

I think DHK commented about it, and said that he thought it would give him an advantage when he fought Paulo Thiago in Macau.

He's still 7-2 in the western hemisphere, though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.