UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Big Nog: Palhares is a man of great character

10/18/13 5:41 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Rousimar Palhares infamously held a heel hook vs. Mike Pierce at UFN 29 last week, and was released by the UFC, apparently for life.

Palhares has a history of holding heel hooks too long in both MMA, and in grappling, and his former coach, BTT co-founder Murilo Bustamante said there was the same problem in the gym.

"I got tired of seeing how he hurts people so often when he is sparring, especially when he has a fight coming up," said Bustamante. "We used to argue every time it happened, so we argued a lot. That was a reason - together with his nonsense excuses every time he lost a fight - that our relationship started to get bitter."

Palhares' manager Alex Davis took issue with Bustamante's criticism.

"I do know why Rousimar left that team, and let me make it clear that it was not Murilo that asked him to leave," said Davis. "Rousimar left because he felt he was not evolving as a fighter, and there were other fighters who left that camp around that time for the same reason."

Palhares currently fights for Team Noguiera, and team head Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira defended Palhares' conduct in the gym, and explained that heel hooks have to be applied explosively.

"I can say that in our gym, ‘Toquinho’ has never hurt anyone," said Nogueira in a release sent to MMAFighting.com. "He is a good person, excellent company and a man with a great character. I believe that he has never thought of doing anything evil to any opponent because this isn’t his conduct.

"I don’t question UFC’s decision because the people who are in control have a global view of the business and they understand it better than anyone in the whole business that involves our sport."

"It’s a dangerous position and the guy who applies it has to be explosive. At the time, you don’t look at the opponent. ‘Toquinho’ lost the position several times because he released the grip a little. It’s a position that you go with everything or you lose it. It’s a complicated situation. The referee needs to be aware and has to intervene in an energetic way."

10/18/13 5:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FETT_ LayNprayNINJA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kazp306 - Jumping on the leg isnt energetic? Go feed a bus Phone Post
Correct. It is not. It was his best intentions to relieve the pressure, but it caused PH to not know the fight was over as he was looking downward at the mat.

Grabbing PH by the arms and getting his attention would have caused a quicker release imo. Phone Post
10/18/13 6:02 PM
UGPTT_Rear Naked Chode
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FETT_ LayNprayNINJA - 
Correct. It is not. It was his best intentions to relieve the pressure, but it caused PH to not know the fight was over as he was looking downward at the mat.

Grabbing PH by the arms and getting his attention would have caused a quicker release imo. Phone Post

Imo too.
10/18/13 6:04 PM
NeonGreenHares

Pffft. What does Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira know about grappling? He couldn't even beat Fedor.

10/18/13 6:15 PM
FlyingKnee_bar
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would be more productive if his camp jsut admitted paul harris was in the wrong and promised to work on correcting the issue so that he could one day be back in the ufc
10/18/13 6:33 PM
Bucephalus

Big Nog is projecting.
10/18/13 6:37 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big Nog for the win! Sperry said the same! Phone Post
10/18/13 7:32 PM
Vizslarex

Great character ???? No, not in my book. I am glad he was fined and cut. Phone Post 3.0
10/18/13 7:51 PM
goldenboyart

Kazp306 -  Jumping on the leg isnt energetic? Go feed a bus Phone Post

LOL, Funniest damn quote I've read on the UG all day. I just picture him feeding a donkey, LOL.

Good stuff Kazp.
10/18/13 7:55 PM
Submissable
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FETT_ LayNprayNINJA - 

So because he was looking down at the mat, he couldnt see the man who was 12 inches from his face trying to loosen his grip on the submission?

He cant see the guy in all black? He's looking down at the mat and cant see the ref? Come on now.

10/18/13 8:08 PM
Bay Area

I'm sure he wanted to hurt pierce for the things he said before the fight. He just went to far, making him tap should have been enough Phone Post 3.0
10/18/13 8:41 PM
dermotfix
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Big Nog: Palhares is a man of great character"

"I can say that in our gym, ‘Toquinho’ has never hurt anyone," said Nogueira

...'nuff said

10/18/13 8:52 PM
NeonGreenHares

Again, Big Nog and Mike C don't know what they are talking about. It's YOU, the 12er UGers who do. We're lucky to have you.

10/18/13 10:04 PM
jaime kingslayer lannister

Submissable -
FETT_ LayNprayNINJA - 

So because he was looking down at the mat, he couldnt see the man who was 12 inches from his face trying to loosen his grip on the submission?

He cant see the guy in all black? He's looking down at the mat and cant see the ref? Come on now.

Totally agree, an elite submission guy doesn't know when he has got it or can't see the ref ontop of him, now Anthony Pettis he is all class. Phone Post
10/18/13 10:24 PM
Rob San Soo

War big nog Phone Post 3.0
10/18/13 10:29 PM
FETT_ LayNprayNINJA

Submissable -
FETT_ LayNprayNINJA - 

Instead of a still shot, try looking at the gif from the other side NOT in slow motion. Id post it but im on my phone.

He is looking straight down and possibly has his eyes closed.

Had the ref dove to PHs arms and got his attention, instead of Pierces leg, he would have noticed him sooner. The ref had excellent intentions trying to relieve pressure on Mikes leg, but it caused a longer delay.

From the moment the ref grabs PH and PH looks up and sees him, it was timed at 1.08 seconds. Oh MAN!!!

And for all those claining they know PHs intent was to ignore the ref and seriously injure Pierce think about this:

An extremely strong former MW fire plug, with THE best leglocks in the UFC. If that person TRULY wanted to seriously injure his opponents he would. No question. Yet somehow NONE of his UFC opponents have been seriously injured. All sprains, all back to fighting within months.

If he wanted to cause serious harm he would. If he wanted ligaments to tear they would tear. If he wanted to ignore refs i PROMISE they wouldnt be able to pry him off before there was serious damage.No question.

No one in any of these threads trying to cry about what PH did has even a halfway intelligent response to that reality. Phone Post
10/18/13 11:10 PM
danggook
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just because he is a character, doesn't mean he has character Phone Post
10/19/13 12:44 AM
Kimbos Lice
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dang, I now think less of Nog ;( Phone Post 3.0
10/19/13 2:53 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mario Sperry his long time coach shot down Bustamante claims that he hurt ppl in gym. Said ppl hurt him more than he ever did. That's enough for me! Plus the Nog bros his long time training partners Phone Post
10/19/13 5:05 AM
bungles

Puh-Leeeze! Phone Post 3.0
10/19/13 6:11 AM
gotmysitchpackedbyweidman

You guys are still mad that Palhares dominated an American. Phone Post
10/19/13 6:51 AM
bferg09
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So the fact is he just needs to be hit with a taser as soon as the guy tapped cause he's just retarded Phone Post 3.0
10/19/13 8:36 AM
Sprawl 68

Submissable -
FETT_ LayNprayNINJA - 

This inability to recognize what is going on is perplexing. I think BS! Phone Post 3.0
10/19/13 8:45 AM
submitbitch

gotmysitchpackedbyweidman -  You guys are still mad that Palhares dominated an American. Phone Post

You mad Palhares got dominated by another American right out of the sport.
10/19/13 8:47 AM
Bucephalus

MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ -  Mario Sperry his long time coach shot down Bustamante claims that he hurt ppl in gym. Said ppl hurt him more than he ever did. That's enough for me! Plus the Nog bros his long time training partners Phone Post

Mike. Bro. He's gone. His career in the UFC is over. Done.

Bellator doesn't want him. His old coach doesn't want him. Most of the MMA community doesn't want him.

Tell yourself whatever you need to hear so it doesn't hurt as much on the inside.

Peace.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.