UnderGround Forums >> us army cancels combatives program

10/18/13 7:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
devils advocate
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

due to budget cuts

didn't see a thread on this

pretty fucked up

I was all ready to go to level two, I pretty much destroyed everybody at level one because I had couple of years of BJJ

for those not in the service combatives is (or was) the army primary hand to hand combat program that was developed with input of gracie family, level one is mostly grappling coupled with training for weapon control, level two and up they start to get into boxing and muay thai

10/18/13 8:04 PM
FETT_TFK_Tat2tillidie
357 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sucks to hear that ... Phone Post 3.0
10/18/13 8:06 PM
Nitecrawler
1826 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
That sucks. Phone Post 3.0
10/18/13 8:12 PM
armbarheelhook
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, sad to hear that. Miletich used to teach a combatives course to military aswell iirc.?

So when are they phasing out the M-16/M-4 for a newer platform? Last i heard they needed to free up some money for new equipment. Possible reason for budgetary cuts.

H&K was working on an assault rifle for the military and so was Barrett i believe.? Phone Post
10/18/13 8:20 PM
devils advocate

armbarheelhook -  Yeah, sad to hear that. Miletich used to teach a combatives course to military aswell iirc.?

So when are they phasing out the M-16/M-4 for a newer platform? Last i heard they needed to free up some money for new equipment. Possible reason for budgetary cuts.

H&K was working on an assault rifle for the military and so was Barrett i believe.? Phone Post

lol that's not happening any time soon

they just cancelled all funding for XM25 this summer that should tell you something

10/18/13 8:22 PM
devils advocate

Kazp306 -  Yeah its good to have I guess. Dont they give you guns though? How practical could it be? Phone Post

exactly why it was cancelled, not much practicality in the bigger picture

unless you argue the benefits of confidence and character building of Soldiers

10/18/13 8:25 PM
armbarheelhook
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

devils advocate -
armbarheelhook -  Yeah, sad to hear that. Miletich used to teach a combatives course to military aswell iirc.?

lol that's not happening any time soon

they just cancelled all funding for XM25 this summer that should tell you something

No shit..? Must've missed that report. All them damn paper pushers in the Pentagon flying a desk are hard at work huh.?!? haha. Phone Post
10/18/13 8:41 PM
The Acorn
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

devils advocate -
Kazp306 -  Yeah its good to have I guess. Dont they give you guns though? How practical could it be? Phone Post

This Phone Post 3.0
10/18/13 8:46 PM
Poet of Gore

they give cops guns

the military has to deal with guerilla warfare where the enemy might now always announce himself

you should try thinking before posting, but even after thinking maybe consider not posting.

10/18/13 8:52 PM
brahmabull81
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope they bring it back eventually.... I know guys in the army that LOVE that program. Lame.
10/18/13 8:54 PM
GodSaveTheReem
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It wasn't the most useful program...if it is hand to hand then shit has hit the fan. Seal, Berets, Rangers, PJs and CCs will still get hand to hand training, but no one else really needs it.

Also, I get that new technology is awesome and all, but I think the M-4 is amazing...there are a million other things that need updating first.
10/18/13 8:57 PM
jfw jr

That sucks. I was level 1, getting ready for level 2 before I got injured. Great program, too bad. Phone Post 3.0
10/18/13 9:01 PM
Primitive Mischief

Poet of Gore -

they give cops guns

the military has to deal with guerilla warfare where the enemy might now always announce himself

you should try thinking before posting, but even after thinking maybe consider not posting.

So hand to hand combat is critical to fighting guerrilla wars... because the enemy might not announce themselves. I don't see how knowing some low level BJJ is going to matter against a hidden enemy with a firearm. Phone Post 3.0
10/18/13 9:01 PM
bcolflesh
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Probably went to the top of the chopping block after that woman took out two guys - was fun to watch though!
10/18/13 9:27 PM
GodSaveTheReem
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Primitive Mischief - 
Poet of Gore -

they give cops guns

So hand to hand combat is critical to fighting guerrilla wars... because the enemy might not announce themselves. I don't see how knowing some low level BJJ is going to matter against a hidden enemy with a firearm. Phone Post 3.0

Hand to hand combat is pretty much irrelevant in today's US Military. CAN it happen? Yes, but statistically it is incredibly unlikely.

I'd rather be out with a guy who understands tactics and isn't going to flag me. That is more important and our commanders know that.
10/18/13 10:25 PM
FJJ828

Put this in the background....

With the budget woes and lack of funding, the military will be moving into a "Peace Time" or "Garrison" role which means that people will be getting forced out if they don't have the max education points required for them to make the next rank. Part of the draw down is to make people who enjoy and are comfortable in military life... miserable and uncomfortable with "Garrison" life. IMHO, this is why you see the grooming and tattoo standards getting a lot of attention as well as the discontinuation of the MACP that people actually like. It will push a lot of people out and allow them to lower physical standards so the administration can have their first Ranger School  and SFQC female graduates.

In any case, Garrison duty sucks because unless you are deploying for a security mission somewhere, you are painting rocks, digging holes, buffing floors and spit shining boots for some douche Battalion CSM's inspection.

10/18/13 11:19 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

devils advocate -

Really fuckface? Phone Post 3.0
10/19/13 12:28 AM
Strykr619

Primitive Mischief - 
Poet of Gore -

they give cops guns

Are you this stupid or you trolling? Ever heard of hand to hand combat in an urban encounter ?

Fucking moron.
10/19/13 12:44 AM
Primitive Mischief

Strykr619 -
Primitive Mischief - 
Poet of Gore -

they give cops guns

Are you this stupid or you trolling? Ever heard of hand to hand combat in an urban encounter ?

Fucking moron.
Lots of one on one banging happening? Phone Post 3.0
10/19/13 1:13 AM
GnP Sonnen

Well that's shitty. Phone Post
10/19/13 2:18 AM
OG 12er
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most people that armchair discuss the military have never been deployed. You work right next to those dudes when we are deployed. You don't always have your weapon with you when you are working. Because of my position, I almost always had a 9mm with me but the majority of our mechanics only had weapons to and from work and to and from the chow hall. Working next to nationals and being told to watch for sabotage - at any time something could happen and all you'd have is your fists. The combatives wasn't only for that, it was also for esprit de corps and a way to get additional exercise and build confidence levels. It's a shame they did that. I had fun as a low level instructor and watching young soldiers attitudes change when they rolled and did well against bigger opponents. Phone Post
10/19/13 2:57 AM
GodSaveTheReem

FJJ828 - 

Put this in the background....

With the budget woes and lack of funding, the military will be moving into a "Peace Time" or "Garrison" role which means that people will be getting forced out if they don't have the max education points required for them to make the next rank. Part of the draw down is to make people who enjoy and are comfortable in military life... miserable and uncomfortable with "Garrison" life. IMHO, this is why you see the grooming and tattoo standards getting a lot of attention as well as the discontinuation of the MACP that people actually like. It will push a lot of people out and allow them to lower physical standards so the administration can have their first Ranger School  and SFQC female graduates.

In any case, Garrison duty sucks because unless you are deploying for a security mission somewhere, you are painting rocks, digging holes, buffing floors and spit shining boots for some douche Battalion CSM's inspection.

there is a depressing amount of truth to this

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.