UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> TME about Law School

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
10/18/13 11:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/20/13 11:40 PM

I live in california and have a great gpa. I haven't been in school for like 4 years now minus this fancy smancy six sigma black belt (sarcasm)

-LSAT?
-Law School?
-Becoming a Lawyer?
-Actually practicing law?

When can I start dressing like Harvey Specter?
10/18/13 11:25 PM
TheHawker
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just borrow 100k and flush it down the toilet. The end result is the same either way.
10/18/13 11:30 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

The Hawker,
Seriously? lol that bad?
10/18/13 11:39 PM
NICK MANNING
793 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10/18/13 11:50 PM
NeoSpartan

that is a sexy bitch

girl is cute too
10/19/13 12:03 AM
NeoSpartan

ttt
10/19/13 12:15 AM
Wovito
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a huge financial gamble. The average 1L in 2013 has a pretty crappy career outlook. Law schools pump out many more JDs than there are jobs for new attorneys. There are MANY easier ways to make more money (if that's why you want to do it). My advice is not to go.

And if you can beat the odds (which 100% of new law students think they will, but only 10% or so actually do) . . . you can have a rewarding profession and/or make a very comfortable living and/or use your skills to tangibly make the world a better place. Phone Post 3.0
10/19/13 12:18 AM
NeoSpartan

Wovito - It's a huge financial gamble. The average 1L in 2013 has a pretty crappy career outlook. Law schools pump out many more JDs than there are jobs for new attorneys. There are MANY easier ways to make more money (if that's why you want to do it). My advice is not to go.

And if you can beat the odds (which 100% of new law students think they will, but only 10% or so actually do) . . . you can have a rewarding profession and/or make a very comfortable living and/or use your skills to tangibly make the world a better place. Phone Post 3.0

"There are MANY easier ways to make more money."

Please, please, pretty please, go on...
10/19/13 12:18 AM
Wovito

You can significantly increase your chances of getting a good job if you graduate from a t-14 law school. All the rest are basically the same prestige-wise and local network becomes more of a factor than pedigree. Phone Post 3.0
10/19/13 12:19 AM
Wovito

NeoSpartan -
Wovito - It's a huge financial gamble. The average 1L in 2013 has a pretty crappy career outlook. Law schools pump out many more JDs than there are jobs for new attorneys. There are MANY easier ways to make more money (if that's why you want to do it). My advice is not to go.

"There are MANY easier ways to make more money."

Please, please, pretty please, go on...
Start a business. Start investing. The options are unlimited. Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 9:21 PM
NeoSpartan

ttt
10/20/13 9:58 PM
Cookie Monster
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would not advise it. Unless you are just wanting a law degree for some reason, the payoff, financially and otherwise, is not likely to be worth it. Not anytime soon anyway. Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 10:10 PM
jdindiana
319 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like you man, so ill be honest.....Don't, just don't. Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 10:21 PM
Brabo Fett

Recent law graduate.

Everyone says its a waste of money and they are largely right. However you should still go if you are one of the following: a strong interest in law or work experience or you are a hot female.

A ton if my classmates just didn't want to be there but had nothing else to go to with their sociology degrees. People who showed a real interest did well and got good jobs. Also all the hot girls got hired no matter how dumb. Partners at large firms prefer eye candy for summer associates.

Good luck with your choice. I am happy that I went and love my work. The same can't be said for many of my classmates Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 10:24 PM
GettaJaab
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have tons of MAs and JDs wanting to interview for a $16/hour nonprofit program coordinator position that I currently have posted. Times are tough. Invest better in yourself. Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 10:25 PM
doughboyunited

I am a 3L at a top 3 law school right now. DO NOT GO TO ANY LAW SCHOOL. I am regretting it every day and even though I was lucky enough to land a job at a law firm I am dreading the day I graduate. I feel like I am getting scammed by tuition even though I am getting a scholarship because school is pretty much useless in training you and all you get in class is whiny, self important people yelling "buh buh but where do we draw the line?" or "that is a very slippery argument". There is no way law school should be 3 years. Every partner I interviewed with was pretty much alone, fat, and miserable and it is crazy to think that these are the "successful" people in the legal world.
10/20/13 10:36 PM
Nostradamus32

Wovito - It's a huge financial gamble. The average 1L in 2013 has a pretty crappy career outlook. Law schools pump out many more JDs than there are jobs for new attorneys. There are MANY easier ways to make more money (if that's why you want to do it). My advice is not to go.

This. It worked out for me, but it was a big financial gamble in hindsight. I've been practicing for eight years, and if I knew then what I do now, I wouldn't take the risk. A very small percentage end up at elite law firms with the big salaries most assume all lawyers make. I would lean against taking the risk, and I'm saying this as someone that was able to get into big law. With that said, I actually really like practicing law, and it pays well. But, many don't end up in great situations.

If you have questions about the Cali market, etc., shoot. I practice in SoCal. Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 10:59 PM
gatorlaw
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Attorney here 3 years into practice. One of the top real estate firms in Florida.

Go do something else unless you have a passion for something specific in law. Go into business, etc. Upfront investment for law school is generally not worth it. Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 11:04 PM
NeoSpartan

fuck guys. just fuck.
10/20/13 11:10 PM
redwhiteandblues
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

up
10/20/13 11:18 PM
NeoSpartan

Nostradamus32 - 
Wovito - It's a huge financial gamble. The average 1L in 2013 has a pretty crappy career outlook. Law schools pump out many more JDs than there are jobs for new attorneys. There are MANY easier ways to make more money (if that's why you want to do it). My advice is not to go.

This. It worked out for me, but it was a big financial gamble in hindsight. I've been practicing for eight years, and if I knew then what I do now, I wouldn't take the risk. A very small percentage end up at elite law firms with the big salaries most assume all lawyers make. I would lean against taking the risk, and I'm saying this as someone that was able to get into big law. With that said, I actually really like practicing law, and it pays well. But, many don't end up in great situations.

If you have questions about the Cali market, etc., shoot. I practice in SoCal. Phone Post 3.0

What do you know about the difference between a CBE or ABA school? I live in SoCal and I'm NOT going anywhere else so help me god. So the CBE schools are cheaper (like <75k for the degree) but obviously they seem like shit compared to ABA school. And if what you're saying is true it's not even worth the effort if I attend an aba school very much less cbe.

I genuinely like law, logic, etc. I have no idea if I can get into big law I'm doing stupid well on these practice LSATs but I know that doesn't mean dick despite my arrogance.
10/20/13 11:24 PM
NeoSpartan

FUCK man you guys are bumming me out tho lol
back to the drawing board

So go back and get an engineering degree (petrol or ee)? or get my MBA?
10/20/13 11:26 PM
Zenoplata
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone I know that is in law school or has a JD says pretty much the same as these guys.

Any chance you could just get an advanced degree in computer science, accounting, or an industry with a strong outlook?
10/20/13 11:33 PM
NeoSpartan

Zenoplata - Everyone I know that is in law school or has a JD says pretty much the same as these guys.

Any chance you could just get an advanced degree in computer science, accounting, or an industry with a strong outlook?

excuse the arrogance, but pretty easily. I don't have a problem doing anything really. Probably not computer science I have some background in programming but you really need a specific mind for that. My dad was a civil engineer so I have some idea what I'm getting into with that field. I've thought about just getting my CPA license. I'm in finance now, real estate and operate my own import/export wholesaling biz on the side.

i just find it disappointing that my friends who grow weed and have delivery services make the same or more money than me with 1/4 of the bullshit.
10/20/13 11:33 PM
Tommy_Wiseau

Unless you want to work on some social issue that you are truly passionate about down to your very core, do not go to law school. The majority of lawyers earn a pathetic salary while working shit jobs in toilet law. The lawyers who earn a decent salary at biglaw firms work miserable hours in a miserable environment surrounded by miserable people...basically like i-banking, except you make a lot less money. The lawyers who make real money are like needles in a haystack.

You would be INFINITELY better off studying computer engineering and going to work in silicon valley.
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.