UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: JDS vs. Cain winner best UFC heavy eva

10/19/13 12:19 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
916 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

At a recent media event UFC president Dana White was asked where he thought Saturday's main event stood on the greatest the UFC trilogy fights of all time list. White says this one is lucky 13 (there have been twelve trilogy fights to date).

"I think this is the biggest one," said White. "In their prime, and the way that the first two fights went - knocks him out in the first round in the first fight, then he destroys him in the second fight."

The significance of the fight goes higher still. Since the UFC heavyweght division debuted in 1997, no champion has completed more than three title defenses. That record will be broken Saturday if Cain Velasquez beats Junior dos Santos.

White was asked if he thinks the winner will be the greatest heavyweight champion in UFC history.

"Yeah I do," said White. "I think these two right here are the best two heavyweights in the world. They're in their prime and yeah. This is a great fight. I've been really excited about this fight."

White also has some cautionary words for fans who think the first fight was a fluke, and Cain's domination in the second fight tells all. Dos Santos was going through the end of a ten-year marriage leading up the second fight.

"You have the argument that Junior was going through a lot of personal problems in the last fight," said White. "And that absolutely makes a difference. To say that doesn't make a difference is crazy.'

What do you think UG? Who is the greatest UFC heavy of all time?

10/19/13 12:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SonOfThePeepHole
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol ???? Phone Post
10/19/13 12:24 PM
XcessiveZ

SonOfThePeepHole - Lol ???? Phone Post
What is lol? Phone Post 3.0
10/19/13 12:48 PM
Calavaro
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a great fight between 2 very good heavyweights, arguably the 2 best right now in the world.
Best of all time? Not so sure about that though. Phone Post
10/19/13 12:51 PM
HenryO

Others in contention would be Mir, Sylvia, Barnett and Couture.

Winner of this fights resume would absolutely trump those guys UFC careers
10/19/13 12:54 PM
duckhuntgangsta
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HenryO - Others in contention would be Mir, Sylvia, Barnett and Couture.

How did you omit Fedor from that list? Phone Post 3.0
10/19/13 12:55 PM
Shepherd Wong
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta -

It says best heavyweight in UFC history, bozo. Phone Post 3.0
10/19/13 12:56 PM
XcessiveZ

duckhuntgangsta -

UFC heavyweights. Phone Post 3.0
10/19/13 1:03 PM
HenryO

duckhuntgangsta - 

Everyone knows Fedor and Nog are best eva.

The new "breed" of Hw's that guys always used to talk about in 05 and shit never came and arent coming. Best era of Heavys was 03ish in Pride, I dont expect that to change for awhile.

Look at all the old dogs still able to hold down a top 10 ranking, Mir, Barnett, Hunt, Werdum
10/19/13 1:06 PM
duckhuntgangsta
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

XcessiveZ -
duckhuntgangsta -

UFC heavyweights. Phone Post 3.0
Ahh...then I agree with the statement.

Pre Cain/JDS....Couture is the UFC GOAT. Lesnar is 2nd (depending on your criteria)

Winner does take the cake. No HW in history has defended their title more than twice (which is tied between Randy, Brock, and Tim). Phone Post 3.0
10/19/13 1:07 PM
duckhuntgangsta

HenryO -
duckhuntgangsta - 

Everyone knows Fedor and Nog are best eva.

The new "breed" of Hw's that guys always used to talk about in 05 and shit never came and arent coming. Best era of Heavys was 03ish in Pride, I dont expect that to change for awhile.

Look at all the old dogs still able to hold down a top 10 ranking, Mir, Barnett, Hunt, Werdum
I agree with you, but We can't put big Nog a UFC HW GOAT...well maybe a top five.

The main difference from 10 years ago is the level of competition. Today is a much more comparative environment than ten years ago. Phone Post 3.0
10/19/13 1:08 PM
Stea1th

Best ever? I don't know about that

10/19/13 1:08 PM
Stea1th

Best ever? I don't know about that

10/19/13 1:12 PM
Dr Gonzo
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It says Cain will break the record for HW title defenses with a win tonight, but wouldn't this only be his second defense?
10/19/13 3:14 PM
sevit86

I honestly think Dana is salty as FUCK about pride. he will never admit the significance of what it was in its heyday. UFC still hasnt even come close to the attendence records alone during that era.

Fedor was and still is the greatest Heavyweight of all time and arguably the greatest Martial Artist of all time.
10/19/13 4:36 PM
Dana Stern

I've heard Dana be honest about the significance of Pride and where they stood at the time Pride was around. The problem with Pride was that there was so much bullshit involved on the promotors side. They'd give fighters late notice on match ups or flat out mismatches, very weird decisions were made without an athletic Commision overseeing anything. They also did zero drug testing which as we've seen made a world of difference for some fighters. Cain wins tonight and He'a beat heavyweight champ all time in any org. JDS wins the verdict is still out in my opinion. Phone Post
10/19/13 4:40 PM
eXtv
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/19/13 4:40 PM
^^ lol Dana Stern, because Nog and Fedor fought in PRIDE that means what they did is worthless and Cain surpasses them both if he wins tonight? Give me a break and stop with this UFC-supremacist bullshit.

When PRIDE was around, PRIDE was the best. No other MMA org had talent even comparable to it.
10/19/13 4:42 PM
The Pendulum
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dr Gonzo - It says Cain will break the record for HW title defenses with a win tonight, but wouldn't this only be his second defense?
Yeah, pretty sure he equals it.

Maybe Dana is so confident in Cain, he reckons Cain can't be beaten by anyone other that JDS? Phone Post
10/19/13 4:45 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
516 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JDS and Cain are already easily the best heavyweights in UFC history. Phone Post
10/19/13 4:47 PM
Fox censored my Chael screen name

As far as greatest "UFC" heavyweights go, I think it can be a true statement, but over some more test of time.

Frank Mir has a good argument but honestly based on what I've seen from JDS and Cain, their skills are top notch.

I think the loser of this fight goes on a win streak and tries and perhaps succeeds in getting a 4th title fight. 

Some people may be against this, but it used to happen in boxing in the older days quite often.  Sometimes you just need to fight a guy a few times to really determine who is better. 

10/19/13 4:56 PM
MasterofMartialArts
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jafar rustler -
eXtv - ^^ lol Dana Stern, because Nog and Fedor fought in PRIDE that means what they did is worthless and Cain surpasses them both if he wins tonight? Give me a break and stop with this UFC-supremacist bullshit.

When PRIDE was around, PRIDE was the best. No other MMA org had talent even comparable to it.

Forrest griffin > shogun, rampage
Chris Leben > wanderlei silva
Rashad Evans > dan henderson, rampage
Ken-Flo > Takanori Gomi
Schaub, Nelson > cro cop

TUF > pride.
You prove your lack of MMA knowledge with this post. Phone Post 3.0
10/19/13 5:10 PM
shaqitup
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The significance of the fight goes higher still. Since the UFC heavyweght division debuted in 1997, no champion has completed more than three title defenses. That record will be broken Saturday if Cain Velasquez beats Junior dos Santos."

What the fuck does this mean?

That's not a real fucking statistic and it is also incorrect.

"completed title defense", is this a stupid way of including losses as an accomplishment?

Even so cain has defended it once, and it will be his 3rd fight as the champion.

Randy defended it 3 times, and had 5 fights as the champion.

10/19/13 5:23 PM
kevsh
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jafar rustler - 
MasterofMartialArts - 
jafar rustler -
eXtv - ^^ lol Dana Stern, because Nog and Fedor fought in PRIDE that means what they did is worthless and Cain surpasses them both if he wins tonight? Give me a break and stop with this UFC-supremacist bullshit.

Ken-Flo > Takanori Gomi
Schaub, Nelson > cro cop

TUF > pride.

OH, so griffin, leben, evans, kenflo, schaub and nelson didn't win those fights? is that what you're telling me?

Come on, you know better than to try push this crap.

Cro Cop, Wanderlei and Gomi were well past their prime when they lost those fights. Shogun destroyed Griffin the rematch and Evans got a lackluster decision. You know damn well that in their prime Cro Cop, Hendo, Silva and Shogun would have been beasts in the UFC.

But on a different note, I'm trying to name the 12 trilogies (without looking it up), in no order:

1) GSP/Penn
2) Penn/Hughes
3) Tito/Shamrock
4) Tito/Griffin
5) Edgar/Maynard
6) Tito/Chuck
7) Chuck/Couture
8) Sylvia/Arlovski
9) Vitor/Randy

... my brain is asleep, there's at least one obvious one I'm missing.
10/19/13 5:25 PM
24karat

You can't compared current UFC with outdated PrideFC. No one can say for a fact that some of these fighters like Cain or JDS or even Brock for that matter wouldn't actually fought in PrideFC and been the current PrideFC champ. Or any great fighter on the UFC roster if Pridefc was still around. Stupid to argue about Pridefc of past and current UFC. PrideFC had most of the top fighters in its day period. They recruited Americans as well as fighters all over the world ie Brazil. I don't care if fighters were on steroids or not, i want to see great fights at their peak performance all the time. Fighters don't only use it to enhance performance but to recover from injuries faster too. Don't care if anyone smokes pot either, let them fight, don't care for the 3 point stance, don't care if they soccer kick or stomp on a persons head. I do care if they stop the fighter from further punishment if he's knocked out or submitted, still happens in UFC ie Paul Harris 2x, Hendo,etc. UFC has been a good promoter of MMA in North America and PrideFC IMO had poor promoting its events but had way better production value. I mean i couldn't wait for Bushido events to take place.
10/19/13 5:49 PM
lil_ninja
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jafar rustler -
kevsh - 
jafar rustler - 
MasterofMartialArts - 
jafar rustler -

Ken-Flo > Takanori Gomi
Schaub, Nelson > cro cop

TUF > pride.

OH, so griffin, leben, evans, kenflo, schaub and nelson didn't win those fights? is that what you're telling me?

Come on, you know better than to try push this crap.

Cro Cop, Wanderlei and Gomi were well past their prime when they lost those fights. Shogun destroyed Griffin the rematch and Evans got a lackluster decision. You know damn well that in their prime Cro Cop, Hendo, Silva and Shogun would have been beasts in the UFC.

But on a different note, I'm trying to name the 12 trilogies (without looking it up), in no order:

1) GSP/Penn
2) Penn/Hughes
3) Tito/Shamrock
4) Tito/Griffin
5) Edgar/Maynard
6) Tito/Chuck
7) Chuck/Couture
8) Sylvia/Arlovski
9) Vitor/Randy

... my brain is asleep, there's at least one obvious one I'm missing.

So as soon as those guys fought in sanctioned fights with drug testing they were past their prime?
Guessing you forgot what happened when chuck and rampage fought during pride Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.