UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cain is a new and improved Randy Couture

10/20/13 1:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dangerboy12
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta love the gameplan, the skill, the dirty boxing, the constant pressure. Very Couture like with his style. Except Cain is bigger, stronger, faster, has more cardio, and a better chin.
10/20/13 1:11 AM
gooddoc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Randy had a better physique.

Beep Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 1:19 AM
kingkoopa

I thought the exact same thing

Except I always hated the wall n stall gameplan and still do. It works though.(due to faulty system)
10/20/13 1:22 AM
CapnInsano
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought about randy too during that fight. He was able to take the size advantage away from guys. So with someone like Cain mastering it that's bad news for the heavyweights. Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 12:41 PM
dangerboy12
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kingkoopa - I thought the exact same thing

Except I always hated the wall n stall gameplan and still do. It works though.(due to faulty system)

Yeah I didn't like it when Randy used it. Not that it was cheap or ineffective, I just didn't see the finishing potential. And looking back, that probably had more to do with Randy.

With a monster like Cain, it is a very effective and violent strategy. It will be interesting to see who will be the guy to find the answer.
10/20/13 12:43 PM
Wasa-B
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In some ways, Randy was a good finisher on the ground though lets not forget that but a guy like JDS is better on the ground than before too.
10/20/13 12:46 PM
dangerboy12

Wasa-B - In some ways, Randy was a good finisher on the ground though lets not forget that but a guy like JDS is better on the ground than before too.

yeah he was. But the damage Cain was able to do against the cage was very impressive.

To be able to do that kind of damage, without putting yourself in to much danger, thats what it's all about IMO.
10/20/13 12:50 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep. It was a smart gameplan. Cigano's KO power is always there.

Great fight. Phone Post
10/20/13 1:02 PM
JOESONDO
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cain is the new and improved Couture but JDS should have used Liddell's strategy against him. Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 1:06 PM
FETT_ LayNprayNINJA

This. 

The cage is SUPPOSED to be there to contain the fight, like the ropes only "cooler". 

The fact that fighters get to use it as leverage to STALL after failed TD attempts is pure garbage. 

Dana just shat all over the TUF fighter for Wall'n'Stall. 

It is the most frustrating part of the sport from the fans perspective. 

Time to change the rules about how the cage is treated. 

10/20/13 1:12 PM
theshooter
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cain also reminds me a lot of Fedor. The same thing with Cain's teammate, Daniel Cormier.
10/20/13 2:47 PM
kingkoopa

FETT_ LayNprayNINJA -

This. 

The cage is SUPPOSED to be there to contain the fight, like the ropes only "cooler". 

The fact that fighters get to use it as leverage to STALL after failed TD attempts is pure garbage. 

IMO the cage needs to go

The cage affects fights way too much and with the current rules/judging It gives a clear advantage to one discipline.

A ring is the optimal fight arena. It's easier to view and the ropes can't be used to gain an advantage.
Not only does the cage aid wrestlers in takedowns and wall stalls but it also prevents submissions.

As far as ppl falling out and off the ring in mma it's only happened like twice. Phone Post
10/20/13 2:58 PM
Gortcho
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think DC is.... Phone Post
10/20/13 5:02 PM
dangerboy12

I'm not gonna argue cage vs. ropes, but if you think what Cain did was stalling, well, I just can't agree. He beat the shit out of JDS.

And the cage works both ways. Takedown defense and escapes from the bottom have improved dramatically across the board since guys started using the cage defensively. Go back and watch some old fights. Getting up after a good wrestler took you down was a minor miracle. A non wrestler stuffing a takedown from a good wrestler gave everyone a boner. The cage has helped a ton in this respect.
10/20/13 5:06 PM
THE CACTUS KID
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Last night I told my friends that Cain was Couture 2.0 when he had JDS on the cage grinding him down Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 5:35 PM
kingkoopa

Gortcho - I think DC is.... Phone Post
DC is more dynamic Phone Post
10/20/13 5:38 PM
dangerboy12

Cormier is more like GSP IMO. He's just too fast and too good at wrestling for everyone at HW.
10/20/13 6:31 PM
banging

dangerboy12 - Gotta love the gameplan, the skill, the dirty boxing, the constant pressure. Very Couture like with his style. Except Cain is bigger, stronger, faster, has more cardio, and a better chin.

Agree 100% - all I kept thinking was, "wow, he's fighting just like Randy Couture", "but better". haha.
10/20/13 7:53 PM
kingkoopa

MMA Lives Here -
kingkoopa -
FETT_ LayNprayNINJA -

This. 

IMO the cage needs to go

The cage affects fights way too much and with the current rules/judging It gives a clear advantage to one discipline.

A ring is the optimal fight arena. It's easier to view and the ropes can't be used to gain an advantage.
Not only does the cage aid wrestlers in takedowns and wall stalls but it also prevents submissions.

As far as ppl falling out and off the ring in mma it's only happened like twice. Phone Post
Buddy the regional show here just tried to use a ring and three fighters fell through the ropes - one of them landed on the bell and the fight had to be stopped. If you don't know what you're talking about, better not to talk about it Phone Post 3.0
#1 this sounds like complete bullshit

#2 if true were they using an mma ring or a boxing ring? If it was a local show it was most likely a boxing ring. On MMA rings the mat goes out a bit past the ropes in case the fighters come out of the ring they don't fall off Phone Post
10/20/13 7:59 PM
dangerboy12

The ring does have it's pros and cons, just like the cage.

I, personally, think there is room for both in MMA.

But all that aside, Cain is a monster in the clinch.
10/20/13 8:32 PM
Maasiai
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes it seems like Cain has taken a book out of Couture's chapter!
10/20/13 8:50 PM
Drew_Akira
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was thinking the same thing but I was wondering if Cain wanted to keep it standing against the cage to minimize subs from JDS or if it was just hard to keep him down? Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 9:45 PM
billaabum
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, because the UFC took a sample of Courture's DNA and altered it to make a bigger, better, more Mexicany, version dubbed Cain Velasquez. How bout Cain Velasquez is Cain Velasquez? Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 10:17 PM
RollHighAllDay
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I suggest a bloodsport like platform with bleacher seats on either side. No mouth guards, gold teeth mandatory. Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 9:09 AM
FETT_ LayNprayNINJA

MMA Lives Here -
kingkoopa -
FETT_ LayNprayNINJA -

This. 

IMO the cage needs to go

Buddy the regional show here just tried to use a ring and three fighters fell through the ropes - one of them landed on the bell and the fight had to be stopped. If you don't know what you're talking about, better not to talk about it Phone Post 3.0
Oh so because a regional show didnt have the proper rope setup and enough staff to contro it...we dont know what we are taking about?

Solid point.

The cage can stay but it needs to be treated like the ropes in as far as how much time the fight is alowed to be there. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.