UnderGround Forums

What if ... >> are gifs not allowed anymore?

10/20/13 12:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tolstolobic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TZA -

Great Phone Post
10/20/13 12:20 PM
Frames4Life

FETT_ LayNprayNINJA -
Stea1th -
FETT_ LayNprayNINJA -  If zuffa wont even allow thier own programming to show the ends of the PPV fights, why are you shocked they try and stop others from showing it? Phone Post

the UG blog uses gifs with no issues, just wondering why so threads stay up and others get taken down. 

doesn't seem like there is a rule, just more of randomly selecting it 

Does the UG blog have gifs of the finishes to the fights on the PPV?

Serious question. Phone Post
Yes, just watched the finish of JDS on there. Phone Post
10/20/13 1:05 PM
CaliKush
361 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What the fuck!?'v Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 1:34 PM
Meohfumado
297 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dough Joe - why is this even a question? people will see the "high spots" and finishes of fights. therefore they won't spend $50+ on the ppv replay.

This was the first PPV I haven't bought since UFC 80. I would've bought it, but my old man wanted me to go to his place to watch the SC v ND game with him, and I can't turn down my dad. So I missed it.

Very happy I was able to see some gifs of what I missed. But no way in hell I'm paying $50 for a replay of an event where the results are already known.

So even some of us who buy every card almost religiously, ain't shelling out $50 for a ppv replay...its unrealistic. Maybe if replays were cheaper I'd put down money to watch it.

But until then, let the people have gifs. No reason to fuck over die-hard supporters of the sport simply because people who weren't go to buy cards anyways see a couple key seconds of a PPV event in gif form.

Hell, most gif request threads on this site comes from people watching the events live, and saying, "HOLY FUCK THAT WAS AWESOME SOMEBODY POST A GIF!"

I would think such publicity and excitement around the sport would encourage others who didn't buy the current card, to buy the NEXT card, so they don't miss it next time.
10/20/13 2:16 PM
jar of flies
801 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't make any GIFs last night so I didn't notice, but I also never make threads so I probably wouldn't notice anyway.

I don't know how GIFs impact PPV sales but with as simple as it is to stream live events on every device, it seems like GIFs would be a minor concern. If they're satisfied with a grainy GIF, would they have bought it anyway?

A few things I've noticed is that some of the GIFs spread all over the net quickly and reach new people, that has to be a good thing. They also generate a lot of discussion and help people remember what happened. On any given event, there's almost 30 fighters competing that night and that's a lot to take in and retain even for regular viewers. It's a little different than other sports because you don't see the same guys again the next week, it can be months(or years in some cases) before you see some of the guys again.

I've considered putting fighters' names on the GIFs to help with that. I do it sometimes but it's distracting enough as it is.
10/20/13 2:26 PM
Authority Figure

shaqitup - 
Authority Figure - 

They are paying the bills. What are you doing?

He seems to have a blue name, so your argument is invalid

go slurp some more semen.

10/20/13 2:32 PM
Stea1th

Don't mean to start shit. I'm just wondering because I've never noticed it to be a problem before. 

I also am confused because the UG blong was posting GIFs of fight finishes even before the PPV was over, which further confuses me. 

Just need some clarification before I spend timing making gifs for nothing.  Thanks! 

10/20/13 2:39 PM
Synado
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GIFs should be covered under fair use. We would see the same finishes on ESPN or Yahoo sports.
10/20/13 2:39 PM
whoabro

I produce paid content for a living so i get their need to protect their content.

However, i think discouraging and alienating their core fanbase by banning them on here does more harm than good. Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 2:40 PM
pheonix5
619 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you can't get them here, there are a hundred other places you can see them. Banning them here will have no impact on the war against gifs.

10/20/13 2:41 PM
jar of flies
801 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/20/13 2:50 PM
pheonix5 - 

If you can't get them here, there are a hundred other places you can see them. Banning them here will have no impact on the war against gifs.

Are they actually even banned? There are several GIFs in the articles on the main page. I'm guessing they just don't want threads with so much content given away in one spot.
10/20/13 2:42 PM
FETT_Loadin76
932 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So have we actually gotten an official ruling on this yet?

10/20/13 2:46 PM
SonOfThePeepHole

???? Phone Post
10/20/13 2:48 PM
LTL
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Probably negatively effects their ability to place more ads on this site, so the powers that be are freeing up space.
10/20/13 2:49 PM
Vulva Fabulous
753 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TZA -

This is the single most awesome, funny and bad ass GIF all wrapped into one.

That's the Triple Crown of GIFs Phone Post
10/20/13 2:49 PM
Il Duce
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jar of flies - I didn't make any GIFs last night so I didn't notice, but I also never make threads so I probably wouldn't notice anyway.

I don't know how GIFs impact PPV sales but with as simple as it is to stream live events on every device, it seems like GIFs would be a minor concern. If they're satisfied with a grainy GIF, would they have bought it anyway?

A few things I've noticed is that some of the GIFs spread all over the net quickly and reach new people, that has to be a good thing. They also generate a lot of discussion and help people remember what happened. On any given event, there's almost 30 fighters competing that night and that's a lot to take in and retain even for regular viewers. It's a little different than other sports because you don't see the same guys again the next week, it can be months(or years in some cases) before you see some of the guys again.

I've considered putting fighters' names on the GIFs to help with that. I do it sometimes but it's distracting enough as it is.

These are good points. It really seems like a retarded business move and way fan unfriendly. Who is on this board? The biggest of fans. The internet has proven it will adapt and find another playground, gifs will be posted somewhere. You can't stop it, period.

Is the argument that mma.tv is making money from people posting gifs? I suppose in a round about way, that could be said. Does it really do anything for the UFC to hoard content? Not in my opinion. I'll watch PPV events live, but will never order a replay or buy DVD's. That's just how it is for me. Knowing that I can watch a few gifs the following day is never what lies between my decisions to watch PPViews or not. I get to stay excited and connected as a fan with the clips. Boo.
10/20/13 2:56 PM
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for an answer. Phone Post 3.0
10/20/13 3:27 PM
Stea1th

jar of flies - 
pheonix5 - 

Are they actually even banned? There are several GIFs in the articles on the main page. I'm guessing they just don't want threads with so much content given away in one spot.

that's the odd part, that the UG blog is posting them and even taking the GIF's from random people, it's not even made by them and using it for their posts. Yet some threads with multiple different gifs keep getting deleted with no reason.                        

10/20/13 3:32 PM
J2C1
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meohfumado speaks the truth: "Let the people have gifs" Phone Post
10/20/13 3:38 PM
Choochy
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dough Joe -
Meohfumado - 
Dough Joe - why is this even a question? people will see the "high spots" and finishes of fights. therefore they won't spend $50+ on the ppv replay.

This was the first PPV I haven't bought since UFC 80. I would've bought it, but my old man wanted me to go to his place to watch the SC v ND game with him, and I can't turn down my dad. So I missed it.

Very happy I was able to see some gifs of what I missed. But no way in hell I'm paying $50 for a replay of an event where the results are already known.

So even some of us who buy every card almost religiously, ain't shelling out $50 for a ppv replay...its unrealistic. Maybe if replays were cheaper I'd put down money to watch it.

But until then, let the people have gifs. No reason to fuck over die-hard supporters of the sport simply because people who weren't go to buy cards anyways see a couple key seconds of a PPV event in gif form.

Hell, most gif request threads on this site comes from people watching the events live, and saying, "HOLY FUCK THAT WAS AWESOME SOMEBODY POST A GIF!"

I would think such publicity and excitement around the sport would encourage others who didn't buy the current card, to buy the NEXT card, so they don't miss it next time.

regardless, that's just your way of looking at it. i bet there are more than a feww people who dudn't buy the replay because they come online and see it for free.
Who the hell buys a replay of any live event at full cost? Phone Post
10/20/13 5:21 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Stea1th -
jar of flies - 
pheonix5 - 

that's the odd part, that the UG blog is posting them and even taking the GIF's from random people, it's not even made by them and using it for their posts. Yet some threads with multiple different gifs keep getting deleted with no reason.                        

I use threads in my articles by I don't make them I just found them. I'm looking to have someone illustrate them so there's no grey area Phone Post
10/20/13 5:21 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
caseharts -
Stea1th -
jar of flies - 
pheonix5 - 

I use threads in my articles by I don't make them I just found them. I'm looking to have someone illustrate them so there's no grey area Phone Post
Gifs not threads Phone Post
10/20/13 6:25 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dough Joe - why is this even a question? people will see the "high spots" and finishes of fights. therefore they won't spend $50+ on the ppv replay.
If you are buying the replay and don't wish to be spoiled; you would avoid MMA sites.

If you are here AND would still buy the replay?

You already know the "finish" and would be looking to see if the show was worth buying on replay.

In that case a GIF actually sells a replay. Phone Post
10/20/13 6:28 PM
insomnia
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who the hells buys replays?
10/20/13 6:36 PM
Stea1th

UFC put up a "replay" today showing most of what the gifs show. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.