UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Most Disappointing Dvd's

10/20/13 9:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jorle
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Today I didn’t really have anything to do so i started watching my old bjj dvds. Have you bought any dvd that end disappointing you? Mine was Nino’s set. I am an old school and he was my favorite player, so I was expecting something more from the dvds. What about you guys?
10/20/13 10:19 PM
seek
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marcello Monteiro's dvds

Very high price compared to what is on the market. 

I own 90% of what exists on the market and because of the high price I expected something great. 

THEY SUCK!

dont be another sucker.

10/20/13 11:23 PM
alittleknowledge

Can't believe I paid $129 for Butterbean's "Flying Submissions and Rubber Guard Attacks" 3 disk set.

I had really high hopes.
10/20/13 11:35 PM
kying418
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lloyd Irvin's leg locking with a broomstick series.

So pissed I bought it.
10/21/13 2:23 AM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marcello Garcia gi set are incredibly detailed and informative but VERY clinical, I mean VERY much so. Oddly, in contrast , Fabiol Gurgels have very little detail and he flys through all kinds of great material in record time. Fabios are great old school videos for someone who already has the concept of details down and can basically stop-and-go and figure out what needs to be tight, which way a limb or angle needs to be positioned etc, because his interpreter at that time said very little in that regard, but great stuff was demonstrated
10/21/13 11:05 AM
ceoJUSTGIPANTSdotCOM
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i agree,the NINO SCHEMBRI dvd was a let down,its not that it was bad material,just not the stuff i was expecting. Also,anything by that dude Matt Furey is the fucking worst...
10/21/13 12:38 PM
deepu
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kying418 - Lloyd Irvin's leg locking with a broomstick series.

So pissed I bought it.

lol! I thought you were kidding but holy shit, that video does exist!
10/21/13 1:17 PM
Jorle

It's really frustrating when you see they are explaining
More than what the translator says.

I heard LI is close to finish the mastering rear naked choke with a Basketball series.. :) Phone Post
10/21/13 2:45 PM
Jasonbaldy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Combatives the best I've seen. I was surprised by Matt Serra series and thought it was great. Big fan of that guy as well as Saulo's first series.

I will take the high road and avoid mentioning any disappointing videos/dvds.
10/21/13 10:50 PM
burner22
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

truehonor - Marcello Garcia gi set are incredibly detailed and informative but VERY clinical, I mean VERY much so. Oddly, in contrast , Fabiol Gurgels have very little detail and he flys through all kinds of great material in record time. Fabios are great old school videos for someone who already has the concept of details down and can basically stop-and-go and figure out what needs to be tight, which way a limb or angle needs to be positioned etc, because his interpreter at that time said very little in that regard, but great stuff was demonstrated
What do you mean by clinical? Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 10:54 PM
Kneeblock
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a DVD, but the book Inside the Lion's Den probably had the worst description of techniques of any instructional book, video or oral description ever created.

10/22/13 12:59 AM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

burner22 - 
truehonor - Marcello Garcia gi set are incredibly detailed and informative but VERY clinical, I mean VERY much so. Oddly, in contrast , Fabiol Gurgels have very little detail and he flys through all kinds of great material in record time. Fabios are great old school videos for someone who already has the concept of details down and can basically stop-and-go and figure out what needs to be tight, which way a limb or angle needs to be positioned etc, because his interpreter at that time said very little in that regard, but great stuff was demonstrated

Fabio Gurgel's series had footage of him walking through the New York City subways, music pumping and him strutting around in a long coat. There was some commentary he made about the right mindset. His techniques were shown quick - like flipping through a magazine technique shoot. There was was one demo shot, one in slow motion, then full speed. All the while club music is pumping. In between position numbers, you hear a "Whooo!" followed by a "Bing" sound as two hands are tugging at the ends of a black belt (as in tightening the knot). These serve as markers beteween the numbered techniques presented on each DVD.

Contrast these with Marcello's from a slightly later era: A bright studio backdrop, an un-characteristically serious/dry looking Garcia having to rely on an interpretor (Like Gurgel though) as he painstaking leaves no stones unturned in explaining every detail, reason and every associated "In case my opponnet does x, y or z" possibilities when illustrating how and why he executes a technique in the manner he does. The methods speech and overall presentation are very deliberate, methodical and are repeated several times before concluding the position shown. Feels like you are in a lab listening to a professor and can almost hear the lights buzzing. Nothing wrong with any of this, just a very different feel than Gurgel's, which I found odd being that he was Garcia's teacher in his later years.

Garcia deliver's a very high quality product, no gimmicks, no extra footage or anything else. Just a consistent, serious examination of what, how and why he does the magic he does.
10/22/13 2:13 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Kneeblock - 

Not a DVD, but the book Inside the Lion's Den probably had the worst description of techniques of any instructional book, video or oral description ever created.

I take it you never read the Fighter's Notebook.
10/22/13 6:45 AM
burner22
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

truehonor -
burner22 - 

Fabio Gurgel's series had footage of him walking through the New York City subways, music pumping and him strutting around in a long coat. There was some commentary he made about the right mindset. His techniques were shown quick - like flipping through a magazine technique shoot. There was was one demo shot, one in slow motion, then full speed. All the while club music is pumping. In between position numbers, you hear a "Whooo!" followed by a "Bing" sound as two hands are tugging at the ends of a black belt (as in tightening the knot). These serve as markers beteween the numbered techniques presented on each DVD.

Contrast these with Marcello's from a slightly later era: A bright studio backdrop, an un-characteristically serious/dry looking Garcia having to rely on an interpretor (Like Gurgel though) as he painstaking leaves no stones unturned in explaining every detail, reason and every associated "In case my opponnet does x, y or z" possibilities when illustrating how and why he executes a technique in the manner he does. The methods speech and overall presentation are very deliberate, methodical and are repeated several times before concluding the position shown. Feels like you are in a lab listening to a professor and can almost hear the lights buzzing. Nothing wrong with any of this, just a very different feel than Gurgel's, which I found odd being that he was Garcia's teacher in his later years.

Garcia deliver's a very high quality product, no gimmicks, no extra footage or anything else. Just a consistent, serious examination of what, how and why he does the magic he does.
Thanks! Sounds like marcelo's is more up my alley Phone Post 3.0
10/22/13 7:19 AM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jasonbaldy - Combatives the best I've seen. I was surprised by Matt Serra series and thought it was great. Big fan of that guy as well as Saulo's first series.

I will take the high road and avoid mentioning any disappointing videos/dvds.

lol, so you come onto the thread to talk about dvd sets you like and want to "take the high road" regarding disappointing dvds? Did you read the thread title?
10/22/13 8:40 AM
JasonGV
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread made me smile. I remember an awful SBG video on side control, pitched as some masterclass 5 DVD set. This was when Matt Thornton was making really strong videos, and SBG was really coming across as an inclusive, no-sense organisation putting quality information for everyone.

I can't remember who taught it, but they did almost everything wrong. Including not just renaming techniques to teach them as new, but invent entire new concepts. Like... "po-mission"; a submission where you don't have to give up the pin to get! And then they showed a figure 4 from side control. LOL

Good times.
10/22/13 8:44 AM
JasonGV
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh wait, I got another one. Remember when Margarida was killing everyone in the early/mid 2000s? BJJ Tapes announced his upcoming series and everyone was VERY excited. His cross knee pass, cross choke, baseball slide choke, all killer stuff everyone was looking forward to seeing.

And he didnt show ANYTHING he used in tournaments. He did a BJJ 101 set aimed at white belts which was terribly taught to boot.

Imagine Marcelo coming out with a series right after tooling everyone with his x-guard back in the day... and showing only closed guard moves. Fun times.
10/22/13 9:21 AM
ddk
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm probably the only man alive that was disappointed with saulo's first set. Found it to be very slow paced and boring. Was also annoyed with his uke, who just lay there like a dead fish. Phone Post 3.0
10/22/13 11:51 AM
elitecmbt
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ Please explain how an Uke is supposed to act. If you don't like Saulos instructional, you may want to check out Submission 101. Phone Post
10/22/13 1:23 PM
MrBen
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JasonGV - Oh wait, I got another one. Remember when Margarida was killing everyone in the early/mid 2000s? BJJ Tapes announced his upcoming series and everyone was VERY excited. His cross knee pass, cross choke, baseball slide choke, all killer stuff everyone was looking forward to seeing.

And he didnt show ANYTHING he used in tournaments. He did a BJJ 101 set aimed at white belts which was terribly taught to boot.

Imagine Marcelo coming out with a series right after tooling everyone with his x-guard back in the day... and showing only closed guard moves. Fun times.

Also Rani Yahya had an instructional which i remember the general consensus was disappointing.

Bjj tapes were so hit and miss with their instructionals.
10/22/13 1:32 PM
chitownbjj
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What happened to BJJ Tapes? He used to post on here. Got his BB and then poofed...he is gone! Phone Post 3.0
10/22/13 1:40 PM
Judo Scott
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ddk - I'm probably the only man alive that was disappointed with saulo's first set. Found it to be very slow paced and boring. Was also annoyed with his uke, who just lay there like a dead fish. Phone Post 3.0

He did everything he was told to do. Was he supposed to freestyle it?

Also it had probably the second funniest most quoted portions of a dvd ever as well.

hunh...
10/22/13 1:40 PM
TBoy2
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All the bjj tapes I got I like: Braulio, Margarida, Pe De Pano

maybe I got lucky. = )
10/22/13 2:02 PM
BJJWRESTLER

About the Fabio Gurgel set....I had a Brazilian Blackbelt tell me how bad it was. He said, " I saw Fabio's set, I know Fabio, good man, but....he leave out many details on those techniques. Did he leave out on purpose or forget ? ". He smiled at the end, and gave me the impression that Fabio DID leave details out, because he didn't want to give out too much.
10/22/13 3:01 PM
BJJWRESTLER

I remember the Renzoku set, Lol. One of the advertisement pics in the magazines showed one of the "Black belts", doing a Triangle choke the wrong way :)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.