UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Tired of hearing "best fight ever"

10/21/13 2:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kralkemal
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know if you guys agree with me but it's starting to get annoying to hear Dana and Joe Rogan mention almost every exciting fight to be the Best They've Ever Seen.

Over use of that term radically decreases the value of it and every time I hear I be like "Yeah Yeah"....

Couple of weeks ago it was Gus vs Jones and now it is Sanchez vs Melendez. And in my oppinion, neither of those are the most exciting ones.

Don't get me wrong, I love that the fighters bring it as frequently as they do nowadays, but I am just sick of hearing that every exciting fight is the best yet.
10/21/13 3:20 AM
painfulapathy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's easy to get caught up in the excitement when you're adrenalin is pumping. If after you've calmed down you still believe it, that's when you know it's true.

Great fight. Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 3:40 AM
ELuke
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed. I thought melendez/sanchez was good but not even close to the best "fight" ever. I saw it as Diego getting tuned up in the first 2 rounds and being tough enough to make a comeback in the 3rd but I saw it more of a display of Diego's toughness than a great fight
10/21/13 3:41 AM
kralkemal
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hear you all but its the same with when promoting a fight, very often use the phrase "history of the sport"...
Even if they are promotors, they should not over use these phrases. People will start to get sick of it, like I am now. But then again, everyone is different, maybe some of you like it.
10/21/13 3:47 AM
buddie
272 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok thanks OP for bringing this up.

I'm tired of hearing "Greatest fight" and "Greatest fighter." "greatest kick" "best wrestler" bla bla bla, they count on short memories and hyperbole without paying the proper deference to fans who supported them and the sport for a long time.

I also found it particularly annoying that the promo for the latest UFC compared Cain v JDS to Ali v Frazier.

Cain and JDS are both spectacular, but come on...
10/21/13 3:48 AM
Large Intestine
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"We've never had fights this good and it's unlikely we'll have fights this good again anytime soon. If you weren't overly impressed with the action tonight, don't bother buying PPVs anymore because tonight's card is as good as it gets." Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 3:50 AM
Large Intestine
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

buddie - Ok thanks OP for bringing this up.

I'm tired of hearing "Greatest fight" and "Greatest fighter." "greatest kick" "best wrestler" bla bla bla, they count on short memories and hyperbole without paying the proper deference to fans who supported them and the sport for a long time.

I also found it particularly annoying that the promo for the latest UFC compared Cain v JDS to Ali v Frazier.

Agreed, the Ali/Frazier comparison was ridiculous Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 3:51 AM
sockeye
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every rock em' sock em' fight in the UFC will be the best " fight ever" Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 3:52 AM
KhabibSmokedPatsStash
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ELuke - Agreed. I thought melendez/sanchez was good but not even close to the best "fight" ever. I saw it as Diego getting tuned up in the first 2 rounds and being tough enough to make a comeback in the 3rd but I saw it more of a display of Diego's toughness than a great fight
I felt the same way to be honest. Phone Post
10/21/13 3:57 AM
buddie
272 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There appears to be a marketing strategy that commentators are asked not to mention anyone that the company doesn't employ or isn't making $ off of. It makes the entire commentary seem disingenuous.

Sometimes you hear Royce Gracie or someone like Rico Rodriguez mentioned in passing, but seriously, the UFC was built on these guy's blood, sweat and tears. The UFC and MMA in general has a rich, albeit short, history that extends farther back than 4 years ago.

10/21/13 4:34 AM
BoxingIsDead

Dana is a master troll so nothing he says can be taken seriously. He's running a business and will say anything to enhance his product. Zuffa pays Rogan's salary, I'm sure in production meetings they tell him what he can, cannot and has to say on air. I mean, they got the guy on ESPN claiming that boxing is being swallowed by their sport. He has to say what Zuffa wants him to say, it's part of the job.
10/21/13 5:05 AM
MrAntichrist
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Large Intestine -

I could be wrong, but I believe it was JDS who had said prior to this fight that he believed he and Cain would be like the Ali/Frazier of MMA, so hopefully that was the only reason they made the comparison and not because they actually find them similar. Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 6:24 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

MrAntichrist -
Large Intestine -

I could be wrong, but I believe it was JDS who had said prior to this fight that he believed he and Cain would be like the Ali/Frazier of MMA, so hopefully that was the only reason they made the comparison and not because they actually find them similar. Phone Post 3.0
Was the reference relative to MMA. As in JDS and Cain are the Ali and Frazer of MMA?

I don't think they were being compared like for like.

It's just a way if hyping a fight, I wouldn't let it upset you. Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 6:25 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

^^Frazier. Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 9:16 AM
NomoRomophobia
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BEST FIGHT EVER! Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 9:29 AM
Tad Ghostal
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you ever watched/listened to Joe Rogan's podcast? Whatever he's experiencing at that moment in time is the '....iest' thing he's ever seen/heard/tasted/etc.
10/21/13 9:32 AM
MMAtador

Think he said the best fight card ever not a individual fight. Phone Post
10/21/13 9:59 AM
blas4ublasphemy
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It reminds me of the old WWF days when the announcers said it was the best event ever literally every time they had one. It seems Joe Rogan is on a much tighter leash as a broadcaster since the Fox deal. He used to speak his own mind (In the UFC's favor or detriment)much more often then but now seems to always tow the company line. The LLoyd Irving rape scandal situation and Joe calling him a respected teacher while totally leaving out his infamous past was eye opening and shows that he has forgotten that his brutal honesty is what made him a fan favorite MMA announcer.
10/21/13 10:08 AM
Dr Gonzo
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes everything is the best thing ever. Corn Nuts are the greatest corn snack OF ALL TIME. Anthony Pasquale Giordonno Jr is the greatest supervising producer OF ALL TIME.
10/21/13 11:15 AM
MieshaTatesSideBoob
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People were saying Jones vs Gus was best fight ever and I didn't think so. It was a great fight but I wouldn't put it top three.

But Diego vs Gil is a fight you could say that about... Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 11:28 AM
EatItPal

Hendo shogun last best fight ever i can recall Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 2:26 PM
blas4ublasphemy
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EatItPal - Hendo shogun last best fight ever i can recall Phone Post 3.0

I agree but also feel Ninja vs Sperry deserves mention. It was a changing of the guard type moment and the tears on the faces of the legends looking on really drove home the point and made you appreciate what you were witnessing. In my opinion seeing this live was a one of a kind moment that I doubt I will ever forget.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.