UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jon Jones: Who thinks DC would beat Gus?

10/21/13 8:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DatSpider
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon Bones Jones ?@JonnyBones 12h
After last night who thinks DC would beat Gus?

What do you guys say?
10/21/13 8:41 AM
aolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do Phone Post
10/21/13 8:52 AM
Da Ghost

Anybody who thinks DC is a better and more complete fighter than Phil Davis probably does Phone Post
10/21/13 8:53 AM
Authority Figure

I think Jon should worry about himself.

10/21/13 9:08 AM
sacredhate
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Authority Figure - 

I think Jon should worry about himself.

he is. that's why he's trying to start things that will affect who the next challenger is.
10/21/13 9:08 AM
DatSpider
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Da Ghost -  Anybody who thinks DC is a better and more complete fighter than Phil Davis probably does Phone Post

Did you happen to miss Gus VS Jones? Gus obviously improved his wrestling by leaps and bounds since then.Not only did he take Jones down but he, successfully, defended against most of Jones' takedowns. Something incredible considering the stats Jones had, against elite competition no-less.

Now I do think DC is much better than Davis, but that is beside the point.

The UFC should book this as a no.1 contender match.

10/21/13 9:09 AM
RockTheVote
346 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dc is not fighting gus. no way. for a long time there was no new blood at 205. everyone talked about jon moving to hvywt. it was all machida rematches and no one was interested. now he has a fight with glover tex after looking mortal vs gus. everyone watches. gus will get a fringe top 10 guy that joe silva wants him to beat so that jones/gus II can make a pile of money. theyll let cormier have a top 10-15 guy they know hell smash so that he can challenge jones and sell tix. you cant eliminate a challenger by having two of them fight just b/c it makes sense. follow the $.

10/21/13 9:11 AM
RockTheVote
346 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DatSpider - 
Da Ghost -  Anybody who thinks DC is a better and more complete fighter than Phil Davis probably does Phone Post

Did you happen to miss Gus VS Jones? Gus obviously improved his wrestling by leaps and bounds since then.Not only did he take Jones down but he, successfully, defended against most of Jones' takedowns. Something incredible considering the stats Jones had, against elite competition no-less.

valid point, but i would counter by saying that jones had to maintain more distance vs gus than he is used to and so his wrestling was happening from further away. that makes it easier to spot and defend, imo. dc will not wrestle him from 7 feet away. i think dc is a really bad matchup for gus, who i think is a stud. if they fight we will probably not see jones/gus II for a long time.

10/21/13 9:12 AM
Tad Ghostal
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Da Ghost - Anybody who thinks DC is a better and more complete fighter than Phil Davis probably does

So...everybody then?
10/21/13 9:16 AM
zebers3
405 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RockTheVote - 

dc is not fighting gus. no way. for a long time there was no new blood at 205. everyone talked about jon moving to hvywt. it was all machida rematches and no one was interested. now he has a fight with glover tex after looking mortal vs gus. everyone watches. gus will get a fringe top 10 guy that joe silva wants him to beat so that jones/gus II can make a pile of money. theyll let cormier have a top 10-15 guy they know hell smash so that he can challenge jones and sell tix. you cant eliminate a challenger by having two of them fight just b/c it makes sense. follow the $.

I feel like DC/Gus NEEDS to happen. I agree that they want Gus/Jones II to happen and they said Gus would have to take another fight first. But Jones/Glover likely isn't going to be until March. So both guys could be matched up and even fight on that same card. They could give them each a different opponent, but then one of them will definitely have to fight twice before a title shot.

There's also the super rare chance that they both lose these random fights, and then we get no fights. So I say let them fight each other so we're guaranteed the true #1 contender.

10/21/13 9:23 AM
mark of the wolf
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon sounds nervous to me. You see someone you know your size will not help you. Someone when they say they can take you down at will is no empty bluff.and a guy who is Cain Velasquez full time training partner is a scary person indeed.
10/21/13 9:34 AM
stlnl2
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do. You know what else? Roy Nelson would beat Gus or Jones as well.
10/21/13 9:40 AM
DatSpider

RockTheVote - 
DatSpider - 

valid point, but i would counter by saying that jones had to maintain more distance vs gus than he is used to and so his wrestling was happening from further away. that makes it easier to spot and defend, imo. dc will not wrestle him from 7 feet away. i think dc is a really bad matchup for gus, who i think is a stud. if they fight we will probably not see jones/gus II for a long time.

I agree, it had be dangerous fight for Gus. They should have booked the rematch right away, but Jones picked Glover what can you do?

Perhaps you're right re: size. But even then you could argue Gus could keep Cormier away his footwork and his great jab.I see it more as an even match-up, but I could be totally wrong.

10/21/13 9:51 AM
undisputed1972

mark of the wolf - Jon sounds nervous to me. You see someone you know your size will not help you. Someone when they say they can take you down at will is no empty bluff.and a guy who is Cain Velasquez full time training partner is a scary person indeed.

Yeah that's the way I see it. He's maybe hoping that Cormier and Gus beat the daylights out of each other while ensuring that one of them will be out of the immediate title picture.
10/21/13 10:02 AM
Ktaco
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's a good idea to have DC fight Gus instead of giving him a immediate shot at the tittle. It's by no means a easy fight for DC but it will let him test himself at 205 and the fact that Gus is of similar build to Jones just makes it even better should he ever face Jones.
10/21/13 10:06 AM
Bobby Lupo
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DC might try to bore him into submission
10/21/13 10:29 AM
Toquinho
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think dc can beat anybody. The guy never lost a round against legit comp.
Ok he is not diego sanchez crazy but damn he is a smart fighter and knows how to win.
Also being an olympic wrestler and having lost a dad at young age and daughter he must be amazingly strong mentally.

I think he psyches jones out before the fight. Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 10:38 AM
Osbot

It makes basically zero business sense for Gus to fight DC.

Jones has cleaned out the old guard as it were. There are very few marketable new challenges for Jones. However there are a couple sure bets for Zuffa.

1) Jones vs Gus II. Many people believe Gus won the first fight. Anyway you spin it, it was a close fight. This is a huge money fight.

2) DC. He is a new, legit challenger. Zuffa can hype the hell out of this fight.

If Zuffa has Gus and DC square off, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.