UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: We have too many fighters

10/21/13 9:24 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Saturday nightt at UFC 166, John Dodson earned the Knockout of the Night, sending Darrell Montague plummeting face first to the canvas. In a post-fight interview, Dodson said he needed to, so he could get work - Dodson, ranked #2 in the word as a flyweight, had not fought in six months.

"I had to do something spectacular," said Dodson as transcribed by BleacherReport. "If I wanted to get back on another card and fight soon, I've got to end this one - win it the way that I just did, and show Dana White and all of the UFC that I'm a badass, throw me in another fight. I don't care if it's going to be two weeks, three weeks. I'm going to be ready to go."

"Please don't put me on the bench. Don't put me on the bench for another six months. I want to go within two or one ... one day. I don't care. Just give me somebody. I want to fight."

At the UFC 166 post fight media scrum, UFC president Dana White was asked why Dodson was shelved for six months, and he had a simple answer - there are too many fighters relative to the number of cards.

"I keep telling you guys our roster is too full," said White as transcribed by MMAMania. "Every time after a show we cut a guy, and they're like, 'F--- you, Dana White. You're an idiot. This guy is – shut the f--- up. Let us run our business. The roster's too full, and we want to be good to guys that deserve to be good to.

"We want to be good to the guys who deserve us being good to. Guys like Okami, I like Okami a lot, he's a great guy. But when guys lose, when guys are at certain points in their career, or whatever it might be, guys have to be cut to thin this roster out, so guys like Dodson can continue to fight.

"We are in a situation where if a guy doesn't fight, we still have to pay them. That's not good either. Guys want to fight. Guys like Dodson want to stay busy and active. They want to fight."

If the president of the company thinks he has too many fighters, he has several options.
•Keep too many fighters, and give fighters less fights.
•Put on more fights.
•Cut the roster.

What route do you think the UFC is likely to take?

10/21/13 9:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RockTheVote
430 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

question - these guys sign 3 fight contracts and are not allowed to fight on other promotions... but what if they need the $ and the ufc doesnt have a fight for them? curiosity question. dana made it sound like theyre paying guys outside of just their fights.

10/21/13 9:30 AM
sacredhate
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well, looks like they are trying to do a bit of each.

just look at 6 weeks:

October 19 - UFC 166
Nov 6 - fight night
Nov 9 - fight night
Nov 16 - UFC 167
Nov 30 - TUF finale
Dec 6 - Fight night
Dec 14 - UFC on Fox

that's a lot of fucking fights...we're getting to the point where it will be Wedenesday night fights every week, followed up with monthly PPV's or something.

with all that activity you still have a roster that is too full :( fucking crazy.
10/21/13 9:37 AM
MMAtador
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone know how many fighters there are in each individual division ? Is there more than 20 ? Phone Post
10/21/13 9:38 AM
bonersaurus
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's a ton of fights and you're missing Munoz/Machida this weekend as well. Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 9:39 AM
KnowKontrol
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wednesday night fights! Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 9:40 AM
Tad Ghostal
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAtador -  Anyone know how many fighters there are in each individual division ? Is there more than 20 ? Phone Post

Over 70 at LW.
10/21/13 9:46 AM
MITman2k
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's probably related in part to the number of added weight classes in the past few years. I was thinking that there may be some growing pains as the UFC adds more events in order to showcase all of these fighters and build up these new divisions. It definitely doesn't look like it's easy, but hopefully it can be done right.

10/21/13 9:48 AM
mmadent45
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sacredhate - I agree when you look at all those cards there should be enough room. I think it is a production issue. Change the format get the next fight up and going. The tv broadcast and main card (sponsors) have lot of commercials, but the under cards on any show could add 2- 4 more fights at least. I have attended a lot of UFC events and it goes extremely slow live. All the self promoting and "previews" gets overplayed live and on the broadcast. The preview / documentary to just about every fight could be cut down down on the broadcast and there would be time for at least one more fight on the main card. Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 9:48 AM
DatSpider
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His reasoning here makes no sense. Dana should probably stop talking about Okami and move on.

Cutting top 6 talent because a roster is full is nonsensical no matter how you look at.
10/21/13 9:50 AM
Tad Ghostal
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still don't agree with Okami being cut as he was still ranked in the top 10 after his loss. There are plenty of guys not ranked that could be cut.

In fact, the term 'UFC level' is no longer significant as they have so many fighters on the roster that are just there to fill card space. I assume they want lots of extra guys in case of another rash of injuries.
10/21/13 10:01 AM
Ramon Maroni

Tad Ghostal - 
MMAtador -  Anyone know how many fighters there are in each individual division ? Is there more than 20 ? Phone Post

Over 70 at LW.

holy shit really?
10/21/13 10:08 AM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Okami got cut so we can watch a 125 lb men's division? Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 10:09 AM
cheesesteak
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WE HAVE TO MANY FAAAAAHKIN FIGHTAHS

-Dana White
10/21/13 10:12 AM
Tad Ghostal

Ramon Maroni - 
Tad Ghostal - 

Over 70 at LW.

holy shit really?

Yep. 73 to be exact.

3 Heavyweights (265 lb, 120 kg): 32 fighters
4 Light Heavyweights (205 lb, 93 kg): 32 fighters
5 Middleweights (185 lb, 84 kg): 56 fighters
6 Welterweights (170 lb, 77 kg): 74 fighters
7 Lightweights (155 lb, 70 kg): 73 fighters
8 Featherweights (145 lb, 65 kg): 49 fighters
9 Bantamweights (135 lb, 61 kg): 38 fighters
10 Women's Bantamweights (135 lb, 61 kg): 15 fighters
11 Flyweights (125 lb, 56 kg): 21 fighters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_UFC_fighters
10/21/13 10:13 AM
Metafour

Please put on weekly fights on FOX!

We are getting a lot of free fights now and I am not complaining but a weekly show would be great for everyone... except maybe my girlfriend. Phone Post
10/21/13 10:25 AM
Uncle Muay Thai
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not sure how profitable it would be for the UFC but how about increasing the number of fights per card? I know the free cards are restricted with time but adding 2 extra fights per fight card one prelim and 1 main card or 2 prelims on a free tv card in would add extra value for fans ppv money and it would also keep more of the roster active. Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 10:39 AM
shaqitup
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah bullshit from Dana ,there are 300 people in the roster that should be cut before Okami.

10/21/13 10:41 AM
DragonWrath
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I mean, am I alone in feeling like it's been really hard to keep track of who's who in the UFC for a little while now?
10/21/13 10:48 AM
ThirdJackson

I remember Dana saying as they continue to grow they're gonna need a lot more fighters. What happened? Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 10:50 AM
jakeb
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kind of upsets me to hear him say that after the WEC/Strikeforce consolidation. Phone Post
10/21/13 10:55 AM
crazyea
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Dana thinks the ufc has too many fighters, and the fans think that there are too many televised shows (oversaturation), then why can't they have untelevised, smaller local shows with the lower tier guys. That way they get fights, the budget stays low, the fighters get paid, and the ufc can hold onto some of their talent pool?
10/21/13 10:56 AM
Uncle Muay Thai

DragonWrath - I mean, am I alone in feeling like it's been really hard to keep track of who's who in the UFC for a little while now?
Yeah for sure there does seem to be new names on every card. I think the UFC in a way is a victim of its own success. If guys deserve a shot at the big time it's hard to deny them so I'm not really sure what the answer is. Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 11:00 AM
ThirdJackson

I just want guys to fight every 3 months. Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 11:09 AM
The Lysine Contingency

Lol at "I'm seriosus, our roster is too full!! Now shut up and let me do my job and cut fighters". As if it wasn't the UFC that overfilled their own roster. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.