UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> JDS: I thought I got KTFO in 2nd round

10/21/13 6:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MITman2k
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmm from this post fight report, JDS may have had a concussion.

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/20/4857664/manager-junior-dos-santos-is-doing-fine-after-ufc-166-main-event-with

Maybe this is some retrograde amnesia associated with that. Either way, he rightfully received a CT which apparently was unremarkable. So that offers some short-term reassurance at least

10/21/13 6:20 PM
MasterofMartialArts
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ranier wolfcastle -

he was still landing shots with ko power in the 5th

(so was cain, both have amazing chins)

It's good to see somebody praising Cain as well. Everybody talks about him getting KOd, but refuse to talk about the shots he walked through to dominate JDS. What a chin, and he wasn't afraid to do it. JDS has one of the best chins I've seen at HW as well. Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 6:29 PM
Frames4Life
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nuevo Haole -

x-world champ in his prime in a world title fight while he's still got plenty of fight in him

dude, he was in the middle of an episode of brain trauma related short term amnesia, wtf are you talking about?

Which was common knowledge at the time. Phone Post
10/21/13 7:21 PM
OliverHumperdink
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frames4Life -  lol @ people saying he should have been pulled out, an ex-world champ in his prime in a world title fight while he's still got plenty of fight in him?

It's a tough sport. He's not a journeymen than needs to fight again in a couple of months to pay the bills, this was his shot a greatness, he went out on his shield.

People seem to want to find someone to hang over this, why? Because he got beat up?

Go watch something else. Phone Post

Voted up.

10/21/13 7:28 PM
Osbot

The way Cain was fighting was pretty damaging too.

In rounds 4 and 5 it was pretty brutal. He'd pull back, blast JDS and just as JDS was looking like he might be ready to go, Cain would go back into the clinch. He did this over and over again, and it was allowing JDS time to recover his senses just enough so the fight wouldn't be stopped.

Then Cain would do it again, over and over again. I honestly think Herb would have been justified stopping it at pretty much any time in the 4th or 5th following a big barrage.

That is the kind of punishment that causes brain damage.

10/21/13 8:09 PM
jpm995
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reminds me of a boxing match a few years ago. fighter had an odd name [brevort or something like that]. took a terrific beating every round and corner and doc just let it go on. he died after the fight. wonder if his corner even cared. i was wishing they would stop it as you could tell it would end bad. it was mutch worse than the jds fight, as every shot was a head shot.
10/21/13 9:15 PM
crwhitlock
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This was a tough situation for everyone involved. Sadly the end result was a young man receiving a vicious beating. In the end I believe the brunt of the blame falls on the ringside physician. The doctor's only job is to protect the health and safety of the fighter. The coaches job is to do everything in their power to help their fighter win the match. Asking them to stop the fight is asking them to take away their fighters only chance at winning. The referee is there to enforce the rules. In a UFC championship fight, the referee wants to give the fighter every chance to compete possible. The fight should have been stopped earlier than it was. Who exactly is at fault is not an easy question to answer. There is blame to be had on multiple parties.
10/21/13 9:36 PM
Stephen Holder

Junior has been hangin around Nog for too much of his career. In that pic of him bludgeoned from the fight, he even resembles Minotaro. Hes a warrior but hes well on the path to lookin 65 by the time hes 40 just from the two fights with Velasquez alone.
10/21/13 9:56 PM
supersonic
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought it should not have been stopped up to the point it actually was and also don't think JDSs corner should have stopped it. Championship and highest level of the sport. Jds certainly got his ass kicked but that's part of the sport.

Unfortunately with Cain he doesn't and can't at times end things quickly. It's like death by a thousand cuts and or punches

10/21/13 10:45 PM
Chulio
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to try to explain to my friends who thought the sport was too brutal that standing 8 counts in boxing were worse because each one could be a concussion.

He just stayed up but JDS took some very serious damage and it was brutal.
10/21/13 11:15 PM
DJmixmasterMobbie

Lol @ thread title Phone Post 3.0
10/21/13 11:32 PM
I AM A MOFO
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Franklin said the same thing about the second Wanderlei fight. He couldn't remember anything after the second round.
10/22/13 3:54 AM
TSGIGOR
793 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10/22/13 5:36 AM
Bootsy Collins
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Bromovich - 
Madrugadao - It makes me laugh the way Dana or someone makes a comment and it seeps into MMA discussions.

All the talk of his corner throwing in the towel is silly. It just isn't done and will never be done. I suspect every fighter would/does tell their corner in advance 'do not throw in the towel, no matter what'.

The ref could have stopped it but if he did, there would be twice as many threads complaining about it.

The bottom line is, this is professional fighting. It is very dangerous. It will very likely affect your future health. The fighters understand this, fans need to as well.

Or

The commission need to advise refs to start stopping fights earlier. I am sure that will be appreciated...
Didn't Nick Diaz throw in the towel when Nate was getting battered by Thomson? Phone Post

I could be wrong but I think throwing in the towel actually contravenes the UFC's written rules?
10/22/13 6:30 AM
Willo232

MrHughes1991 - 
The Legendary One - Thank god it wasn't at bad as the Miguel Torres one or he'd be asking if he was fighting Mark Hunt Phone Post 3.0
What did Miguel Torres do? I forget Phone Post 3.0

Got KTFO by Heavy-Handed Farmboy Fan Favourite Michael Mcdonald
10/22/13 7:17 AM
MattyECB
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lueng jon - JDs was thorwing arm punches(Uppercut) in the 5th, They seemed powerful, but there wasn't muich zing on them.

You mean the 2nd?
10/22/13 7:19 AM
MattyECB
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3 Sided Square - 
Frames4Life - lol @ people saying he should have been pulled out, an ex-world champ in his prime in a world title fight while he's still got plenty of fight in him?

It's a tough sport. He's not a journeymen than needs to fight again in a couple of months to pay the bills, this was his shot a greatness, he went out on his shield.

People seem to want to find someone to hang over this, why? Because he got beat up?

I'm sure he can take comfort in knowing he went out on his shield when he is eating all his food through a straw. Phone Post

Yo brah, chronic traumatic encephalitis is for fags. JDS'll just take some creatine and nut up, and if he gets the shakes or gets severe depression, well what's the worst that can happen?

It's not like JDS has a retarded kid he's takin' care of
10/22/13 8:38 AM
goldenboyart

teamquestnorth - 
chawkins - Oh man. That's no good. Shades of Rich Franklin's "what round is it?" in last round of the Tanner fight (it was the Tanner fight, right?).
I think that was the louasio(sp?) fight. Phone Post

NO, NO, NO, It was the 2nd fight with Tanner for the Belt. Franklin got flash dropped and ended up winning it and was excited and happy and was asking what round was it "I don't remember, I thought it was the 2nd round" when it was the 4th round.

The 2nd fight was much harder fight for Franklin and Tanner gave ans well as he got but Franklin pulled through and got the W via TKO in the 4th round.

But this is what the OP was talkng about Rich thinking it was a totally different round.

Sadly I really think a lot of the Brawlers are going to have a lot of damage when they reach their 40's and early 50's.

If you think Ali has it bad by Parkinson's syndrome brought on by Head Trauma (in boxing with huge assthen just imagine being hit with these little ass gloves over and over again.

It won't be a pretty sight, I'll tell you that, after working with numerous patients in Physical Therapy.

I'm the Rehabilitation Director - Physical Therapist for a 4 county area based out of Duke medical Center here in Nroth Carolina.

10/22/13 8:51 AM
Rhythmprince

Frames4Life - lol @ people saying he should have been pulled out, an ex-world champ in his prime in a world title fight while he's still got plenty of fight in him?

Dude, he got hit in the head hard enough and repeatedly enough in the same fight to think that the fight was over 3 rounds early. It is obviously a failure on the part of the corber to recognize that JDS was taking too much. Phone Post
10/22/13 9:41 AM
Billyz
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rhythmprince - 

Dude, he got hit in the head hard enough and repeatedly enough in the same fight to think that the fight was over 3 rounds early. It is obviously a failure on the part of the corber to recognize that JDS was taking too much. Phone Post

Agreed. when/if he was mumbling to the doctor incoherently that should have sealed the deal. right there. rather see JDS back sooner doing what he does best than him return far from now possibly a shell of himself and possibly more susceptible to being knocked out due to all the damage.

Remember chucks legendary chin? next thing you know he is getting KO'd left and right. there are countless guys like that. hell remember Cabbage? guy had a head like a cinder block and would take massive damage till finally he started dropping from single shots.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.