UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Is Cain Velasquez's Spanish really that bad?

10/22/13 2:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rubitsu
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JimmersonzGlove -

Cain can roll along with me to Adelitas and brush up on his espanol if he wants.

Haven't been there in like 10 years. count me in. Phone Post
10/22/13 2:42 PM
Augustus Caesar_Stun Gun'd_My_Dong
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why are people saying Cain is just learning Spanish? what the hell did he speak to his parents growing up? Chinese?

10/22/13 3:20 PM
omar13

We call him the Mexican Mushmouth Phone Post 3.0
10/22/13 3:35 PM
Bobby Lupo
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Augustus Caesar_Stun Gun'd_My_Dong - 

why are people saying Cain is just learning Spanish? what the hell did he speak to his parents growing up? Chinese?

He probably answered in English when his mom or that Don Johnson looking dad said something to him in Spanish, because that man did not grow up speaking Spanish. He's as comfortable with the Spanish language as a UG'er is around a pretty woman.
10/22/13 4:01 PM
Tumba_Puertas

His Spanish is typical of most "Chicanos" - a blend of Spanish and Spanglish. I understand what he's saying most of the time, but there are definitely certain things that he says that the average Mexican from Mexico wouldn't understand.

I think he should take some legit Spanish classes to polish up on his grammar and pronunciation, especially if the UFC hope to make him into a star in Mexico. Phone Post 3.0
10/22/13 4:16 PM
tbi0904
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Abrtitans - 
Rubitsu -
Abrtitans -
Rubitsu - What's sad is these types of posts slowed down when be lost the tittle. It seems there's some underlying racism when it comes to Latino fighters. He speaks good enough Spanish to be huge in Mexico, so maybe he inspires people in a country dominated by boxing to start training mma? Having this guy promoted as a Mexican fighter can only help mma. But all the closet racists can't see that.
And whether you admit it or not, criticizing him for having pride in his heritage and not speaking proper Spanish is racist. English is my second language and my Spanish sucks compared to my cousins who grew up in Mexico. I guess I'm not Mexican then. Even though I was born there.

The guy is a fucken monster, dominates his competition, isn't out making as ass of himself or talking shit. He's not getting popped for doping. This guy is all good for mma. That's what people should focus on. Phone Post
So what is it called when Europeans take offense to an American claiming they're Irish or British or whatever just because they had ancestors from that country? Phone Post 3.0
That's not the same thing. Mexicans in Mexico aren't upset about Cain being sold as a Mexican fighter. Phone Post
My friend who is from El Salvador thinks he's a poser. Always makes fun of his Spanish. But then again all if those countries have there own totally different identities, the only thing they share in common is that they speak the same language. Phone Post 3.0

De La Hoya had the same problem, there was a number of Mexicans that thought he was a fake Mexican and hated him no matter what he did. It'll be interesting to see if Cain runs into the same problem (if mma gets big enough for the average Mexican to give a shit about). For what it's worth my wife is Salvadoran as well and she doesn't think of Cain the same way your friend does.
10/22/13 4:25 PM
instantkarma
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cain speaks Portuguese you F'n idiots. Phone Post 3.0
10/22/13 4:26 PM
J2C1
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tbi0904 -
Abrtitans - 
Rubitsu -
Abrtitans -
Rubitsu - What's sad is these types of posts slowed down when be lost the tittle. It seems there's some underlying racism when it comes to Latino fighters. He speaks good enough Spanish to be huge in Mexico, so maybe he inspires people in a country dominated by boxing to start training mma? Having this guy promoted as a Mexican fighter can only help mma. But all the closet racists can't see that.
And whether you admit it or not, criticizing him for having pride in his heritage and not speaking proper Spanish is racist. English is my second language and my Spanish sucks compared to my cousins who grew up in Mexico. I guess I'm not Mexican then. Even though I was born there.

The guy is a fucken monster, dominates his competition, isn't out making as ass of himself or talking shit. He's not getting popped for doping. This guy is all good for mma. That's what people should focus on. Phone Post
So what is it called when Europeans take offense to an American claiming they're Irish or British or whatever just because they had ancestors from that country? Phone Post 3.0
That's not the same thing. Mexicans in Mexico aren't upset about Cain being sold as a Mexican fighter. Phone Post
My friend who is from El Salvador thinks he's a poser. Always makes fun of his Spanish. But then again all if those countries have there own totally different identities, the only thing they share in common is that they speak the same language. Phone Post 3.0

De La Hoya had the same problem, there was a number of Mexicans that thought he was a fake Mexican and hated him no matter what he did. It'll be interesting to see if Cain runs into the same problem (if mma gets big enough for the average Mexican to give a shit about). For what it's worth my wife is Salvadoran as well and she doesn't think of Cain the same way your friend does.
Many Mexican boxing fans didn't embrace de la Hoya because of his pretty boy persona, singing career, and how he fought at times(the last few rounds of the Trinidad fight in particular). It had nothing to do with his Spanish, which he speaks just fine. Phone Post
10/22/13 4:27 PM
J2C1
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh and the fishnets didn't help much either. Phone Post
10/22/13 4:34 PM
kingkoopa

UGCTT_FryedTakayama - Werdum speaks better Spanish than Cain Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post
10/22/13 4:38 PM
TX_432
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht -
Lex_o - Like most us Mexican Americans the language we speak with our parents is its own language. It might sound like great Spanish to those who don't speak it but its crap in the real world. Phone Post 3.0

No.

Cain just recently started to learn Spanish. 

How is this possible with 2 Mexican Spanish only speaking parents? Phone Post
10/22/13 4:43 PM
Lobo8

Edited: 10/22/13 4:44 PM
Cains spanish is very very bad. And yes werdum does speak it much better than he does. In terms of how well some american born mexicans speak it, it varies a bit. Most 1st generetion mexican americans speak spanish very well but you do get a few that can barely put together a sentence, cain is one these. The second generation are the ones that dont learn spanish because there parents know english. Im first gen and speak Spanish, when i hear cains spanish i cringe a little.
10/22/13 4:56 PM
instantkarma
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

J2C1 - Oh and the fishnets didn't help much either. Phone Post
Beating JCC was bad for him, too. Phone Post 3.0
10/22/13 5:12 PM
J2C1

instantkarma -
J2C1 - Oh and the fishnets didn't help much either. Phone Post
Beating JCC was bad for him, too. Phone Post 3.0
Very true. Phone Post
10/22/13 5:16 PM
lueng jon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread may as well just be on the OG , as it has nothing to do with MMA beyiond the participants.
10/22/13 5:17 PM
Bobby Lupo
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tumba_Puertas - His Spanish is typical of most "Chicanos" - a blend of Spanish and Spanglish. I understand what he's saying most of the time, but there are definitely certain things that he says that the average Mexican from Mexico wouldn't understand.

I think he should take some legit Spanish classes to polish up on his grammar and pronunciation, especially if the UFC hope to make him into a star in Mexico. Phone Post 3.0

He's on some Google translate shit sometimes. It can be understood, but his Spanish is about as good as Borat's English.
10/22/13 6:07 PM
MiloTheDog
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A coaching gig on TUF Mexico would do wonders for his spanish. I doubt any spanish speaking MMA fighter would pass on training with Cain based on his inability to roll his rr's.
10/22/13 6:10 PM
KZTT_FawkingxD
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone know if pettis or Melendez can speak Spanish? I know pettis is Puerto Rican and Mexican, but I've never really seen any interviews same with Melendez. I think I saw like an mma truth interview where pettis was in Puerto Rico, but he talked English the entire time.

If so pettis vs Melendez could coach tuf Mexico. If Velasquez and werdum don't ! Phone Post 3.0
10/22/13 10:05 PM
LiMe_101

TX_432 - 
ausgepicht -
Lex_o - Like most us Mexican Americans the language we speak with our parents is its own language. It might sound like great Spanish to those who don't speak it but its crap in the real world. Phone Post 3.0

No.

I am from Bosnia and I answer my parents in Bosnian that being said my Bosnian is meh. The reason it's average is I don't speak to my parents constantly so my vocab is pretty limited. Basic phrases like "schools going great" "just got done with work" "how are you doing mom" etc. I don't talk to my dad about the central banking system of this country and how it's debt driven cause I wouldn't have a fucking clue how to say that. As the years progress it and I get older it kinda sucks since I can't get into deep conversation with them but when I go to Europe it improves drastically and then falls off when I come back and go to college. So I can defiantly seeing his Spanish being really bad. If i forget a phrase my mom usually knows enough English to understand me. People also hating on him for being Mexican first revolves around how his parents raised him not the country he lives in. Mexicans have a lot of pride.
10/22/13 10:17 PM
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Lysine Contingency -
MahatmaPetey - Better Spanish: Cain or Peggy Hill? Phone Post
PEGGY Hill! Substitute teacher of the year. Phone Post
3 Time Sub of the Year. Even Maia doesnt have those honors Phone Post 3.0
10/23/13 1:19 AM
ausgepicht

TX_432 - 
ausgepicht -

No.

I have a LOT of friends whose parents are from Portugal and don't speak ANY English. They are in a country SURROUNDED by English. No one said both parents couldn't speak. His mother could speak English.

"Winning the support of friends and family was one hurdle, but Velazquez faced another before he could appeal to his growing fan base: learning Spanish. While his older brother and sister grew up completely fluent in Spanish, Cain did not. He understood Spanish, but couldn’t speak it.

“I just never spoke a whole lot of Spanish with him,” Isabel says. “But he went out and learned how to speak it. I told him if that’s your image, your ‘Brown Pride’ tattoo, you better know how to speak Spanish.”''

http://www.fightmagazine.com/mma-magazine/cain-velasquez-searching-for-aztec-gold-611/

10/23/13 2:23 AM
MahatmaPetey
389 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ScarecrowRio -
The Lysine Contingency -
May lammo CANE VELASKEZ! Phone Post
10/23/13 2:39 AM
IamGerardo689

UGCTT_ScarecrowRio -
The Lysine Contingency -
Maia speaks better Spanish then Cain Phone Post 3.0
10/23/13 2:43 AM
IamGerardo689

IamGerardo689 -
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio -
The Lysine Contingency -
Maia speaks better Spanish then Cain Phone Post 3.0
Than* Phone Post 3.0
10/23/13 6:40 AM
MattyECB
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

XIITT_JBASS - 
malryan -
XIITT_JBASS -
Lex_o - Like most us Mexican Americans the language we speak with our parents is its own language. It might sound like great Spanish to those who don't speak it but its crap in the real world. Phone Post 3.0
I'm half greek and live in Australia, my family speaks a funny mix of greek and English, although I don't speak greek and only hear the English. I still remember the first time telling my grandmother i had started BJJ, I had to get my mother to explain it to her as grandma's English is poor. She said something in greek, then said 'like karate'. I still don't think they have any idea what BJJ is lol Phone Post
Is it true that greeks like it in the ass? Phone Post
Why do you ask? Are most of the men that fuck you in the ass greek or something?? Phone Post

No, but he's greek too and the only way I could get him to stop complaining when I make him my midnight bitch was to tell him all Greek take it up the ass...

Don't let the cat outta the bag!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.