UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Is Cain Velasquez's Spanish really that bad?

10/23/13 6:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MattyECB
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo - 
Wasa-B - I doubt our beloved Bobby Loops's Italiano is any better but no one would question him rocking his red/white/green pride.

My Spanish is better than Cain's. He speaks Spanish like he learned it from native English speakers, like he tries to say English phrases that don't exist.

He's better now, but he was hideous when he first started speaking with the Spanish language media.

My Italian is mad dialectical from the dirty south, but it sounds like the street, not a book.

You from Sicily or Calabria?
10/23/13 6:47 AM
MattyECB
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

J2C1 - 
Rubitsu - What's sad is these types of posts slowed down when be lost the tittle. It seems there's some underlying racism when it comes to Latino fighters. He speaks good enough Spanish to be huge in Mexico, so maybe he inspires people in a country dominated by boxing to start training mma? Having this guy promoted as a Mexican fighter can only help mma. But all the closet racists can't see that.
And whether you admit it or not, criticizing him for having pride in his heritage and not speaking proper Spanish is racist. English is my second language and my Spanish sucks compared to my cousins who grew up in Mexico. I guess I'm not Mexican then. Even though I was born there.

The guy is a fucken monster, dominates his competition, isn't out making as ass of himself or talking shit. He's not getting popped for doping. This guy is all good for mma. That's what people should focus on. Phone Post
Well said. Phone Post

????

You're kind of jumping the gun. I think a lot of people are just genuinely curious how his accent sounds because it's interesting when he promotes with spanish-speaking shows or radios whether or not he sounds spanish/mexican.

Obviously it doesnt mean a fucking thing beyond that. Mexicans give a lot more of a shit about fighting style and spirit than linguistics anyways. It's why De La Hoya had such a hard time breaking into the Mexican fanbase
10/23/13 7:04 AM
matt_the_kiwi
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Legendary One -
NicolasExitBJJ - cain sounds like a gringo tourist when he speaks spanish. nothing wrong with that as he was born and raised in murica but pretty funny as they're trying to use him to connect to the mexican audience...
Imagine JDS and Werdum having a conversation in Spanish and Cain tries to join in and they laugh at how crappy it is and Cain gets all sad Phone Post 3.0
Legitimate LOL. Just imagined that's as a bobble-head cartoon in my mind with high pitched chipmunk voices Phone Post 3.0
10/23/13 7:11 AM
Bobby Lupo
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MattyECB - 
Bobby Lupo - 
Wasa-B - I doubt our beloved Bobby Loops's Italiano is any better but no one would question him rocking his red/white/green pride.

My Spanish is better than Cain's. He speaks Spanish like he learned it from native English speakers, like he tries to say English phrases that don't exist.

He's better now, but he was hideous when he first started speaking with the Spanish language media.

My Italian is mad dialectical from the dirty south, but it sounds like the street, not a book.

You from Sicily or Calabria?

Potenza, so Napoli dialect
10/23/13 7:20 AM
Vale_Tudo_83
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His spanish is good. Hell I love in the southern most part of tx, on the boarder and work 2 hrs away in corpous and a lot of latinis don't even understand spanish! Phone Post
10/23/13 7:20 AM
TheMessiah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only thing that matters to me is how good he fights Phone Post
10/23/13 8:34 AM
quality

I know tons of immigrant parents that have kids that basically refuse to talk to their parents in their native language. The kids know the language but only want to speak English. The parents speak to them in Spanish (or the native language) and the kids respond in English. They all understand each other after a while. That might be how Cain grew up.

My son is 3rd generation American and his Spanish is probably on Cain's level but my son's Spanish will continue improving over the years since he's still young.
10/23/13 8:38 AM
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio
290 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IamGerardo689 -
UGCTT_ScarecrowRio -
The Lysine Contingency -
MahatmaPetey - Better Spanish: Cain or Peggy Hill? Phone Post
PEGGY Hill! Substitute teacher of the year. Phone Post
3 Time Sub of the Year. Even Maia doesnt have those honors Phone Post 3.0
Maia speaks better Spanish then Cain Phone Post 3.0
But can he do push ups like Chad Mendes? Phone Post 3.0
10/23/13 9:08 AM
HiHu

So the guy has proven all of you armchairs warriors wrong by his cage performances and you only have his spanish accent to debate on ?

Poor america..

10/23/13 10:46 AM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

J2C1 -  Junior's Spanish is indeed better but I wouldn't want to hear either recite passages from Don Quixote anytime soon. Phone Post

I'm still laughing -10 minutes in to reading this remark!
10/23/13 4:58 PM
ausgepicht

HiHu - So the guy has proven all of you armchairs warriors wrong by his cage performances and you only have his spanish accent to debate on ?

Poor america..

Actually it's called a discussion. No one is hating on Cain, and if they are then they are assholes. Cain is one of my favorite fighters. Are you running for Forum Sheriff and telling his fans what they should and shouldn't discuss?

Fuck off.

10/23/13 8:02 PM
KempoKata

Rubitsu - 
tunaburn -
Wasa-B - Also, not speaking perfect Spanish does not mean white America looked at Cain and his family and his kind as equals growing up. You think he wasnt called Beaner because of his shitty spanish?

you serious? He grew up in arizona and california. More mexicans than white people here. I doubt he was called beaner any more often than i get called hitler. Which sadly happens every so often out of nowhere.
I grew up in San Diego and used to be called little bean by a school teacher. Also gotten wetback and spic. Racist assholes are racist assholes no matter where u are. I'm 37 and had a guy tell me to take my beaner tortilla eating ass back across the border about a month ago. He heard me speak Spanish to a cashier because she addressed me in Spanish. Phone Post

I grew up in Bakersfield and handful of other cities here in Cali. I have also had wetback, beaner and spic thrown at me. Along with the, you don't like it go back to your country crap too. When I hit up the Vallarta Market or Latin Markets sometimes I get addressed in Spanish. The best part, my dad is white and my mom is Phillipina. I was born and raised here and I only speak English. I have no accent other than the Valley, California, American English one. I used to get shit from Mexicans too. Though not as often and not in the lets fight motherfucker tone. Mostly they just wanted me to get jumped in and join the gang. I would say of all the hostile racist shit thrown at me, 100% of the time it was a white guy. That's bullshit because the majority, I would say 75%, of my friends are white and although I am mixed, based on my upbringing, I identify as white. 100% of the time I just walked away. I'm not gonna lie and say that doing the right thing doesn't eat at a person inside. I must admit I have had to grapple with the what if I just beat the fuck out of him thoughts. In the end, walking away was the right decision every time. Which reminds me of a time when I couldn't even run away.
When I was 17. I ended up at a party one of the homies suggested we go to; after the second party we were at, got broke up by cops. I immediately noticed that everyone there was a Peckerwood(skinhead for you guys who don't know what a Peckerwood is). There were 4 of us and at least 30 of them with girls sprinkled in. Most of which were in their 20's-30's. The homies sister was dating on of the big dogs there. Of all my friends I was the only one that wasn't "white". They immediately started fucking with the three of us they didn't know. They surrounded us. It was weird because there were two guys in front of us that started questioning and verbally harassing us. While the rest would come up behind us and talk in our ears. They were tellin them they were gonna get jumped in and their heads shaved and they had to beat me up to get in. They were just verbally harassin the shit out of me. Sand nigger, spic, greasy turd, wetback, your mother this that etc. etc.. Even the broads joined in. The homie and his sister were saying the three of us were cool and were trying to get them to stop. It was crazy how we just walked up, opened a beer and shit starts happening right then. They persisted for a while. I'll never forget thinking, this is just to see if we're pussies at the same moment as, the "homie" that brought us there, laughing at the situation. My two friends kept playing it off and saying naw we dont bang and that's our homie right there we wont jump him. Thats when they said if you dont we will. They laughed it off and were saying we'll just leave. It was one of those times were you think these dudes are all in and its kind of scary even if their just playin. It may have been funny if we got to kick it or just leave after being harassed like that. I remember seeing the four or five guys behind my friends, take them to the ground. I swear time slowed down right then. I don't know how many, but before I could do anything else, I was on the ground. I was jumped by Mexicans in 7th grade but they were fuckin 7th and 8th graders too. It was unbearable before I was kicked in the head and knocked out. I woke up being dragged across the street. Then I was thrown into the bed of the homies truck. They fuckin spit and blew snot rockets on me and told my friends to "take your turd colored friend back to mexico". It seemed like forever, but we were only there ten minutes. Needless to say I am glad they didn't beat me to death. Looking back some 13 years later, I'm just glad they didn't piss on me too. I have never said a word to tha "homie" ever since.
I thought I was just replying simply about your comment about how racism is still prevalent. Giving my personal examples and sharing a story. Sharing a story I have told a few times with as much extent as, one time I got jumped by peckerwoods at a peckerwood party. As I have never tried to describe it in writing I have just realized how much it just took me back there. Fuck...
I was just gonna say there are idiots every where and racism is still abound. And now a thirty seconds just turned into thirty minutes. I would normally erase such a long reply but fuck it. This was semi therapeutic.
Back on topic though, who really gives a shit about how well someone speaks a second or third language. So long as they are trying. Unless the employer of said person is trying to market that person as something they aren't.
10/23/13 8:28 PM
mmavixen
1121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I give him a lot of credit for speaking Spanish.  The point is that he's trying, , and as a native Spanish speaker  I think that's great.

10/24/13 12:40 AM
elburrogrande
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

having spoken to him in person, i can vouch that his spanish is very good.
10/24/13 1:00 AM
THE CACTUS KID
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Remember on the Selena movie she couldn't speak Spanish very well either and her father was Edward James Olmos Phone Post 3.0
10/24/13 1:18 AM
iwrestledabearonce
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Lysine Contingency -
MahatmaPetey - Better Spanish: Cain or Peggy Hill? Phone Post
PEGGY Hill! Substitute teacher of the year. Phone Post
LMAO! Phone Post 3.0
10/24/13 6:29 AM
Bobby Lupo
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmavixen - 

I give him a lot of credit for speaking Spanish.  The point is that he's trying, , and as a native Spanish speaker  I think that's great.

He's improved greatly since the Brock fight when he first did Spanish language press on his own and sounded like a student robot. I watched the hype show for the Brock fight during staff meal a restaurant where most of the dudes working were from Mexico in the US less than 5 years. They were laughing at Cain, and were like "which one of these guys is supposed to be Mexican?" (They thought he was going to get killed. When he beat Brock, all of a sudden he was one of them.)

Point is: if he's going to wrap himself in the Mexican flag, have a Mexican (not American) flag behind him in the press poster for 166, come out to traditional Mexican music and sell himself that way. It would have been a good idea to learn Spanish before the age of 26

Gio Rossi was born in New Jersey, but plays for Italy instead of the US national team in soccer. This is a touchy subject, but Rossi speaks Italian like a native. He made the effort. Cain got a late start.
10/24/13 8:54 AM
quality

Cheech Marin and Danny Trejo disagree with this thread.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.