UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> katas in BJJ?

10/22/13 5:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
siouxNYC
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone heard of this? the school is reputable and the instructor (and his instructor) are old school BJJ guys.
10/22/13 5:24 PM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judo has katas - for the really old school - but never heard of it in BJJ.
10/22/13 5:28 PM
Akston
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, what do you think every solo drill you've ever done is? Phone Post
10/22/13 7:48 PM
BEEF & CHEESE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ no. Katas are a type of drill but drills aren't necessarily kata. Phone Post 3.0
10/22/13 7:57 PM
siouxNYC
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

these aren't solo, but the partner isn't resisting. it's exactly what you think a kata would be, but it's things like transitioning to four different chokes from knee-on-belly to an armbar, and then switching to the other side and doing it again.
10/22/13 8:04 PM
Tboney8669
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

siouxNYC - these aren't solo, but the partner isn't resisting. it's exactly what you think a kata would be, but it's things like transitioning to four different chokes from knee-on-belly to an armbar, and then switching to the other side and doing it again.
Just sounds like drilling Phone Post
10/22/13 8:38 PM
m.g
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The standup self-defense of Bjj (particular Gjj) is done in kata style.
10/22/13 9:26 PM
ChipW
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing wrong with Kata's.  Even wrestlers do it but dont call it that.  Its the best(only?) way to learn to chain wrestle.  The problem with kata's and drilling is that its fun and easier than going live but if all you ever do is kata's your going to be in for a rude awakening when it gets real. 

10/22/13 9:56 PM
armbarseverywhere
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Flow drills.
10/22/13 11:11 PM
siouxNYC

Tboney8669 - 
siouxNYC - these aren't solo, but the partner isn't resisting. it's exactly what you think a kata would be, but it's things like transitioning to four different chokes from knee-on-belly to an armbar, and then switching to the other side and doing it again.

no, this is very different. this isn't practicing a guard pass or armbar over and over again. this is a deliberate sequence of moves, each one done methodically and slowly. it's even written down and posted on the wall of the gym.
10/23/13 12:25 AM
mmanthebay
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

siouxNYC -
Tboney8669 - 

no, this is very different. this isn't practicing a guard pass or armbar over and over again. this is a deliberate sequence of moves, each one done methodically and slowly. it's even written down and posted on the wall of the gym.
We do them. Great way to get good and systematic very quickly Phone Post
10/23/13 12:34 AM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6g83MgiLMI

Oh wait, that's judo ;)
10/23/13 12:58 AM
Akston
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kata = jap word for solo drill essentially Phone Post
10/23/13 1:52 AM
BJJBuster
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's nothing wrong with katas. At all.

The problem is using katas as the large or only means to judge someone's skill set and promote. This was the downfall of tkd. Katas overtook practical application and then even katas got watered down. Grading should always heavily consider practical application and ones ability to perform techniques in a live situation.

Now if drilling a kata helps someone focus on details and learn the moves, great for them! Phone Post 3.0
10/23/13 2:09 AM
BJJWRESTLER
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

siouxNYC, I think I can answer that. GM Francisco Mansur of Kioto Academy, one of Helio's 1st Blackbelts, and now is a Redbelt, teaches "sequences", I believe they are called. Anyone under his lineage would most likely teach those, and guessing by your name, you are in New York State ? That is where GM Mansur resides now, and has quite a few affiliates throughout the NY area.
10/23/13 2:12 AM
BJJWRESTLER

I learned one years ago from my instructor, whose instructor was GM Mansur. When done as a group, I have seen a number called, then you go to a position/move/technique, and so on, and so on.
10/23/13 6:31 AM
DK Chaos
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think in theory Katas could be a useful way of practising techniques in an organised way.

The problem I see with Katas in other martial arts is that the moves & movements used in the katas is completely different to what gets used in sparring so there is very little crossover.

Eg. karate/tkd sparring involves lots of fast bouncing around footwork throwing kicks & punches in combinations, but the katas involve walking slowly in a straight line in 4 or 5 different directions doing strange blocks & strikes that are never used in sparring,
10/23/13 9:13 AM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

armbarseverywhere - Flow drills.

We call it s-traneing
10/23/13 9:47 AM
siouxNYC

BJJWRESTLER - siouxNYC, I think I can answer that. GM Francisco Mansur of Kioto Academy, one of Helio's 1st Blackbelts, and now is a Redbelt, teaches "sequences", I believe they are called. Anyone under his lineage would most likely teach those, and guessing by your name, you are in New York State ? That is where GM Mansur resides now, and has quite a few affiliates throughout the NY area.

good guess, but no, not kioto. lotus club.
10/23/13 10:31 AM
ChipW
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jumbo Reverse Shrimp - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6g83MgiLMI

Oh wait, that's judo ;)

pretty cool. except for all the bowing and rubbish in between techniques.  Wasted training time in my opinion. 

10/23/13 1:15 PM
BJJER
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've seen a video on youtube that I can't find anymore where Dave Kovar from Sacramento CA is teaching BJJ in kata style. Full on, by yourself, imaginary opponent. Huge waste of time if you ask me.

Drills are not kata.
10/24/13 3:53 AM
Alex17

Nic Gregoriades from the Jiu Jitsu Brotherhood sometimes teach "kata".
An example at the end of this video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t71WPvreci0
10/24/13 10:14 AM
Kneeblock
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Draculino has a video out where he does something like this. It's a way to get how moves combine drilled into your brain and body I believe. Phone Post
10/24/13 1:32 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, drills are not kata. Kata are sequences designed to practice the ideal techniques and to focus attention.
10/24/13 1:58 PM
Ray Cappa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like some buuuullshit to me. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.