UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cormier wants Davis or Little Nog for 205 debut

10/24/13 12:03 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1030 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Daniel Cormier appeared recently on "UFC Tonight" and discussed who his next fight may against at lightheavyweight.

A match up with Alexander Gustafsson appeared to be in the offing, but the UFC has said they hope to match up Gustafsson for a fight in Europe, and Cormier wants his first fight at 205 to be in the USA.

"I have no problem fighting Alexander Gustafsson... not at all," said Cormier, as transcribed by BleacherReport. "The one thing I'm concerned about is being that it is going to be my first time fighting down at 205 and I know Gustafsson is going to be fighting somewhere in Europe. Whether it's Sweden or somewhere else in Europe, I don't want to be making my first weight cut down to 205 overseas.

"I know what I'm going to need and I know I can find saunas here in the United States and all the food I would need in order to make the weight. I know those things are easily accessible for me fighting in the United States of America. I have no problem fighting Gustafsson but I would not want to do it overseas."

"I want to win a title, man. That is the reason I'm going to go down to 205. I thought that was going to be my first fight. That was my intention, but it doesn't seem that way now and the division has moved on."

If Gustafsson is off, "DC" said "settle" for a fight with Phil Davis or Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.

"But give me 'Lil Nog' or Davis, that would be a great fight. Any of those guys make for an exciting fight. I want big fights and I want to face a guy who is a contender."

What do you think UG? Who would be a good first fight for Cormier at 205, from Little Nog to Jon Jones, there are a lot of potential fighters.

10/24/13 12:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BeatonHauff
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Him vs Davis would be awesome. Phone Post 3.0
10/24/13 12:16 PM
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

little Nog will probably fight Gustaffson.  Phil Davis vs Cormier would be very nice.

10/24/13 12:42 PM
TzTinkle
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got a chuckle out of Cormier's concern about being around a proper food source. I am rooting for him to give whoever he fights hell so that we can have a great buildup to Jones vs Cormier. It would be an awesome story if he beat Jones.
10/24/13 12:43 PM
shmuckothemighty
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't Sweden invent Saunas?

10/24/13 12:44 PM
Mr Sizzzz
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who gets Jones if Gus and Cormier win? Phone Post 3.0
10/24/13 1:03 PM
Bisping decisioned my SN

Lol he never will cut to 205. Phone Post 3.0
10/24/13 1:05 PM
kyle223
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously, why is Lil Nog's name still being thrown around for title fights? The guy fights twice every few years.
10/24/13 1:06 PM
Aaron Becker

would rather him fight little Nog instead of Davis, I want Davis to get his TS first
10/24/13 1:07 PM
Aaron Becker

or would rather him fight Gus
10/24/13 1:09 PM
Sukulaku

Heh. No saunas in Sweden.
10/24/13 1:19 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum

shmuckothemighty - Didn't Sweden invent Saunas?

I believe that would be Finland. Literally all of my Finnish friends have saunas in their homes.

10/24/13 1:51 PM
crwhitlock
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/24/13 1:52 PM
Cormier shouldn't be "cutting" any weight in the first place. He needs to stop walking around with double digit body fat and he'd weigh less than 205 without cutting a lb.
10/24/13 1:58 PM
Shoryuken Rw

crwhitlock - Cormier shouldn't be "cutting" any weight in the first place. He needs to stop walking around with double digit body fat and he'd weigh less than 205 without cutting a lb.
He's obviously been working on that, if you look at his physique now, he's coming along pretty well.

He weighed in at 224 against Nelson. A 19 lb weight cut is normal. Phone Post 3.0
10/24/13 2:01 PM
shaqitup
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping decisioned my SN - Lol he never will cut to 205. Phone Post 3.0

He's pretty much in range to cut right now, and he's chubby.

10/24/13 2:06 PM
Chaz Johnson

Black fedor will be champ that guy has a hunger. Phone Post 3.0
10/24/13 2:19 PM
Silverball
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

octowussy - Jon Jones gets shit for "choosing his fights", but Cormier seems to do it all the time and the UG is still all over his nuts. What's the deal? Refusing to fight overseas? Choosing an opponent who is notoriously awful at dealing with wrestlers? At least he's not calling out Shane Carwin any longer.

It's called managing your career, and it's not really "choosing his fights", but more of a suggestion to the powers that be. Neither Cormier or Jones are matchmakers for the UFC, so at the end of the day they either accept or turn down what's offered. Cormier is in his mid-30s, so he's forced to be a bit more calculating than most fighters with only two wins in the UFC.
10/24/13 2:22 PM
LEKS

I'm in for Davis vs Cormier Phone Post 3.0
10/24/13 2:27 PM
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee
705 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think either match up would be utter shit.

I used rashad with cormiers head on top when i pictured it

10/24/13 2:28 PM
caseharts
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Davis Cormier Lil nog Gustaffson Phone Post
10/24/13 2:31 PM
catgobling

damn, calling out lil nog so late in his career. its lame. he cant fight in europe because he doesnt think the right food will be accessible. ha! i enojoyed his last fight before he hurt his hand, but what the hell. with his credentials to be fighting roy then lil nog....they must have told him he needs more footage before they will give him a title shot. he needs to call out alex/bones
10/24/13 2:34 PM
Il Duce
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Such a heel dragger! This guy does not like to go out of his comfort zone when it comes to food.
10/24/13 2:34 PM
caseharts
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
catgobling - damn, calling out lil nog so late in his career. its lame. he cant fight in europe because he doesnt think the right food will be accessible. ha! i enojoyed his last fight before he hurt his hand, but what the hell. with his credentials to be fighting roy then lil nog....they must have told him he needs more footage before they will give him a title shot. he needs to call out alex/bones
Lame? He just beat rashad calm down Phone Post
10/24/13 3:17 PM
Eric Bloodaxe
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well. Gus gets the next shot with a win, I guess (and hope). DC will probably need two wins if he's fighting Davis or Lil Nog first then. A win over Gustafsson would probably put him first in line. 

If that's what he wants moving down to a new division fine. I really don't think saunas and food would be too much of a problem though, and non-Americans have to travel all the time.

10/24/13 5:23 PM
Shoryuken Rw

Eric Bloodaxe -

Well. Gus gets the next shot with a win, I guess (and hope). DC will probably need two wins if he's fighting Davis or Lil Nog first then. A win over Gustafsson would probably put him first in line. 

If that's what he wants moving down to a new division fine. I really don't think saunas and food would be too much of a problem though, and non-Americans have to travel all the time.

With the way the LHW division is I doubt he needs 2 wins for a title shot. Fucking Chael Sonnen got a shot. Glover is getting a shot and most of the guys he beat were on losing streaks when he beat them. He's fortunate Bader rushed the KO because he was getting rocked.

Aside from Gus, this is the best we have to offer Jones. The LHW division has been murdered by him. It won't be hard for DC to get a shot. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.