UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why no suped up ring entrances in the UFC?

10/25/13 8:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stephen Holder
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Before anyone accuses me of being a WWE fanboi, let me let you know I'm the furthest thing from a. I cant even bare to watch Bellator mainly because of their TNA affiliation and I cringe any time I catch the mma hour and Helwani makes pathetic attempts to blend mma with pro wrasslin. I'm a 'to each their own' kinda guy first and if you like that shit then good for you but they are two different entities and truly believe it needs to stay that way for the betterment of mma.

That said (and although I admit this is a bit of a contradiction) the one single area where I think the UFC could benefit by stealing from Vince is the high production value ring entrances. That kind of shit not only gets people's attention but also it would provide footage to use in commercials to get people hyped up. As a kid when I watched WWF/E shows the spectacle made as the guys came down the ramp weren't only epic but memorable. I'm not suggesting that Cain comes down to the ring in a plume of smoke rockin a black trenchcoat n top hat or nothin. A cool lookin ramp and entrance video with higher production value on music/lighting wouldn't hurt though?

I know Pride had cool entrances, why cant the UFC? Is there a reason they don't do them? Its not like they cant afford it. Has Dana ever mentioned this does anyone know?
10/25/13 9:05 AM
billaabum
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana has stated in the past that he does not like 'flashy' entrances. Phone Post 3.0
10/25/13 9:07 AM
Mushroom Slap
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

even from the SEG days they didnt want WWF enterances bc it was supposed to be about the fighting
10/25/13 9:09 AM
zebers3
427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10/25/13 9:10 AM
zebers3
427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10/25/13 9:13 AM
xaeo

Prides dead bro Phone Post 3.0
10/25/13 9:17 AM
JStrongMMA

Those big ramps and pyro set ups actually cut off a good portion of the arena, which means they can't sell as many tickets. Phone Post
10/25/13 9:52 AM
stevekt
590 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Flashy entrances look out of place in the UFC. My favorite entrances are BJ Penn and Matt Hughes. Those guys had their signature songs that fit perfectly with their personality and really set the mood for the fans. Phone Post
10/25/13 9:56 AM
gabemadrid
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strikeforce HWGP entrances were sick with the huge video screen wraps that had the fighter with some meteors and weird end of the world animations behind them Phone Post 3.0
10/25/13 10:03 AM
Hired Gun
465 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It died when Zuffa bought out Pride. A little bit of mma died that day
10/25/13 10:10 AM
zebers3

Pitbull3744 - 

I love flashy entrances like Tom Lawlor!!!!!!!!!!

10/25/13 10:23 AM
Hired Gun
465 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pitbull3744 - 
Hired Gun - It died when Zuffa bought out Pride. A little bit of mma died that day

A lot of MMA died that day.  There is a reason we all say Pride never dies and still love everything about it to this day.  Trust me i dont think anyone would miss the UFC if Pride was around and UFC died.

The ringtone I use for my wife is Prides Theme
10/25/13 10:24 AM
Stephen Holder

The ramp cutting off seating affecting the revenue significantly, I could see being a legit concern, I guess. Couldn't they make a smaller ramp and like a jumbotron hanging from the ceiling or some shit?

I guess if Dana isn't feeling it though, we aren't going to see it regardless.
10/25/13 10:33 AM
Ghidorah
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/25/13 10:34 AM
I love some entrances (Like Genki Sudo), but sometimes people are forcing it. I remember Carlos Newton coming out in a suit dancing around. Rough to watch
10/25/13 10:47 AM
RKing85
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

entrance ramp was awesome. The fighters came off as much bigger stars with the ramp there.

The UFC always says they need new stars. Bringing the ramp back would help that. (although I know it's obviously not going to happen)
10/25/13 11:04 AM
Stephen Holder

Edited: 10/25/13 11:08 AM
Being against that shit is dumb otherwise, imo.

I have a friend who I used to try and get interested in the UFC back around the time the 1st season of TUF started. He has somewhat of a short attention span but loves the NFL, NBA, ect. but no matter what he just wouldn't sit still and watch a decent length mma fight. He claimed that it was boring and that the guys were as he put it 'too careful.' He mentioned though that he preferred to watch the Pride matches I showed him over the UFC ones.

When he was younger he watched pro wrestling (as many of us did) and just barely knew who Lesnar was. When Brock started fighting he became the biggest fan on his own. Today, he watches every card on FS1, FOX PPV whatever. He even watches Bellator.

I attribute him becoming a 'crossover' fan due to Vince more than Lesnar himself because everyone knows that although he looked like a beast, Brock when he was green in his early pro wrestling days had the personality of a pebble. He was built up not entirely but at least in part due to aesthetics like pyro, titan tron, music during his ring entrance, ect. Of course embellishing storylines and creating characters in MMA would be corny and unacceptable in every way. I applaud efforts Dana has made in the direction of not cross-promoting with the WWE like Bjorn did with TNA. Little things however like arena entrances that captivate audiences are worth incorporating into the UFC product. They could make potential fans with short attention spans give a second look at mma, imo.
10/25/13 11:05 AM
Hired Gun

How about just elevating the walk in area? You wouldn't have to lose any seating but everyone in the arena could see the fighters come in AND it would get them away from all the jackasses grabbing at them. Sooner or later someone is going to get poked in the eye by a fan canceling a fight. How about losing a main event over it?
10/25/13 11:11 AM
Swooper
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ortiz v Shamrock 1 had it, just added to the fight. Phone Post 3.0
10/25/13 11:18 AM
Swooper

Ken
http://youtu.be/124Al8JvO4Y Phone Post 3.0
10/25/13 11:22 AM
Swooper

Sorry that was Tito^^^
Ken..http://youtu.be/_0zvlEUSsYU Phone Post 3.0
10/25/13 11:25 AM
Broady
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone post the Chuck / Mask entrance video.
10/25/13 11:37 AM
Stephen Holder

Swooper - Ortiz v Shamrock 1 had it, just added to the fight. Phone Post 3.0

Kinda funny that those two are arguably the most well known mma fighters that became popular from the UFC..

I'm tellin you 'flashy' ring entrances would go a long way in the longevity of the UFC.
10/25/13 11:43 AM
Swooper

Stephen Holder -
Swooper - Ortiz v Shamrock 1 had it, just added to the fight. Phone Post 3.0

Kinda funny that those two are arguably the most well known mma fighters that became popular from the UFC..

I'm tellin you 'flashy' ring entrances would go a long way in the longevity of the UFC.
I agree, I could see Hector walking out to Freak by Silverchair 'cos "he's a freak....of nature". Phone Post 3.0
10/25/13 11:46 AM
badnewsbrown
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

keep it away. other organizations allow it a bit but i really don't want to see a copy of melvin manhoef dancing around like a fairy for 10 minutes.
10/25/13 11:47 AM
MediumRare25
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zebers3 -
Pitbull3744 - 

I love flashy entrances like Tom Lawlor!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. I still watch the weigh In where he "shocked the world", was so awesome. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.