UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Next Team Break-Up?

10/25/13 11:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Double Gold BJJ
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who do you think will be the next team that has a break-up?

I'm completely speculating but I'm thinking Atos will lose Claudio Calasans. It looks like most of their main guys in Brazil are now focused on MMA and all of the main guys that are focused on jiu-jitsu are in the US. So it's him and Guto Campos left in Brazil and his results haven't been that great lately. I see him leaving the team.
10/25/13 12:39 PM
Muffinho
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AOJ will leave Atos soon.
10/25/13 12:40 PM
checkuroil
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He took second at the worlds. That's pretty good Phone Post 3.0
10/25/13 12:51 PM
Double Gold BJJ
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Muffinho - AOJ will leave Atos soon.

I can't see that happening due to their loyalty to Ramon Lemos.
10/25/13 6:51 PM
Hywel Teague
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ Hacks, free Arte Suave videos, Direct from Rio
I agree AoJ won't leave - they went white to black under Ramon. Who is also in Brazil, so it's only Galvao and the Mendes in the US right? Ary Farias is going mma sure but there are still a lot of good guys in brazil you never heard of Phone Post 3.0
10/25/13 7:07 PM
pray for japan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Double Gold BJJ -
Muffinho - AOJ will leave Atos soon.

I can't see that happening due to their loyalty to Ramon Lemos.
wont happen. the mendes bros rely highly on andres camp for high level training partners which is an important part of their training philosophy Phone Post 3.0
10/25/13 8:05 PM
Poet of Gore

why would atos break up?

as far as cavaca leaving checkmat : he had like 200 affiliates or some crazy ass number. that is insane.

10/25/13 8:09 PM
angrypirate

ari will leave keith owen.
10/26/13 3:11 AM
JoejitsuMD
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

angrypirate - ari will leave keith owen.
Only of Ari's check doesn't clear Phone Post
10/26/13 5:36 PM
Robobear
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoejitsuMD - 
angrypirate - ari will leave keith owen.
Only of Ari's check doesn't clear Phone Post

Why? Did he make black yet?

10/26/13 6:42 PM
Muffinho
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ramon Lemos is asking the Mendes Bros for affiliation fees.

Both Brothers are apparently not happy about this.

-My Source
10/29/13 12:03 AM
tf1
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Muffinho - Ramon Lemos is asking the Mendes Bros for affiliation fees.

Both Brothers are apparently not happy about this.

-My Source
I think AOJ will start their own team and break off eventually. They might lose something in the mix though. Atos has a good thing going. Would suck to see the bros split. Phone Post 3.0
10/30/13 3:44 AM
KingBodhi
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My guess would be GFT. They have a ton of guys that left other teams to join them based on business deals GFT set up for them. More than half their team is recruited from other teams. GFT has tons of affiliates in the US when just a few years ago there were only a few. As these gyms grow and contracts expire I could see GFT affiliates breaking away to make more cash.
10/30/13 8:39 AM
Sir Taps
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Mendes boys just need to hang on until they get their 2nd degrees on their belts, and then they can go it alone. Until then, they'll still be dependent on a higher belt if they plan on grading any one to black belt (yes I know that's ONLY if you follow IBJJF regs, but as AOJ has a ton of competitors, they need to follow the federation rules).

James
10/30/13 8:51 AM
Muffinho

Sir Taps - The Mendes boys just need to hang on until they get their 2nd degrees on their belts, and then they can go it alone. Until then, they'll still be dependent on a higher belt if they plan on grading any one to black belt (yes I know that's ONLY if you follow IBJJF regs, but as AOJ has a ton of competitors, they need to follow the federation rules).

James

6 years to second degree? should be good to go soon. Rafa got his black belt late 2008 (october).
10/30/13 9:07 AM
pray for japan

Sir Taps - The Mendes boys just need to hang on until they get their 2nd degrees on their belts, and then they can go it alone. Until then, they'll still be dependent on a higher belt if they plan on grading any one to black belt (yes I know that's ONLY if you follow IBJJF regs, but as AOJ has a ton of competitors, they need to follow the federation rules).

James
if that were the case they could split now and just not grade anyone to BB until next year. their academy hasnt been around long enough to have any overdue candidates for the black. if they left atos they wouldnt have anyone at their level to train with and its them who would suffer more Phone Post 3.0
10/30/13 10:59 AM
Double Gold BJJ

KingBodhi - My guess would be GFT. They have a ton of guys that left other teams to join them based on business deals GFT set up for them. More than half their team is recruited from other teams. GFT has tons of affiliates in the US when just a few years ago there were only a few. As these gyms grow and contracts expire I could see GFT affiliates breaking away to make more cash.

What were the business deals like/about? I'm curious.
10/31/13 2:00 AM
KingBodhi
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Double Gold BJJ - 
KingBodhi - My guess would be GFT. They have a ton of guys that left other teams to join them based on business deals GFT set up for them. More than half their team is recruited from other teams. GFT has tons of affiliates in the US when just a few years ago there were only a few. As these gyms grow and contracts expire I could see GFT affiliates breaking away to make more cash.

What were the business deals like/about? I'm curious.

I know of a few GFT reps that actually got their black belts from Gracie Barra, GFT recruited them to move them to the US to head schools in the quickly expanding GFT affiliation market. Gyms in Brazil are filled with skilled black belts, but in gyms filled with black belts there aren't tons of opportunity to make a living teaching BJJ in Brazil. GFT needs people to run affiliations in the US, so they recruit from other teams.

I also know of GFT affiliations in the US recruiting from other teams with the promise of sponsorship for tournaments, free gis, and other perks for joining them. It's simple economics.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.