UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> 30min too far to train?

10/29/13 4:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bigraydaddy
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I travel 35 miles from NW Indiana to Chicago. 29-55 minutes depending on time of day/traffic.
10/29/13 6:02 AM
Stipe
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One Giant Step Back For Manningkind - Lol at 1/2 hour

I am almost an hour Phone Post 3.0

Well it is, in all likelihood, just a teasing/troll thread.

Look at the way it is set up - "found a gym, instructor is great, it works well with my schedule..."
and then, as a supposed twist, the question - "would you guys travel 30 min for that."

It seems like a joke to me
10/29/13 8:35 AM
GaspareBJJ
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stipe -
One Giant Step Back For Manningkind - Lol at 1/2 hour

I am almost an hour Phone Post 3.0

Well it is, in all likelihood, just a teasing/troll thread.

Look at the way it is set up - "found a gym, instructor is great, it works well with my schedule..."
and then, as a supposed twist, the question - "would you guys travel 30 min for that."

It seems like a joke to me
Sorry if It came off as a dumb question or a troll. Im just not sure what the "norm" for traveling distance is.

Thank you guys for the replies! Phone Post 3.0
10/29/13 10:28 AM
uberpinscher
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GaspareBJJ - Found a gym about 30 min from my house, It works with my schedule and the guy is a great instructor.
Would you guys travel the 30min? Phone Post 3.0

'is normal

I live down town Toronto and leave around 6:10 to be training for 7:00 three times a week. If its a good gym with good instructor, good schedule its a no brainer. Listen to a podcast, clear your head, whatever but if its a good place you would be crazy to pass it up!

10/29/13 10:41 AM
sfx
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No. I have my own school in Northern NJ but still come to train at the Renzo Gracie Academy (which has been my BJJ home from the beginning) in Manhattan 3x/week. It takes me 1 1/2 hours each way (I drive to Park & Ride, take the bus into Manhattan and then walk). I think it's worth it.
Karel
www.SilverFoxBJJ.com
10/29/13 2:17 PM
quidditch
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Living in Los Angeles, the gym could be across the street and still a 30 min trip. Not joking.
10/29/13 2:35 PM
ams
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But if so, can't you just use a bicycle or walk? Phone Post 3.0
10/29/13 4:12 PM
quidditch
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

15 min. wait for the elevator (40 stories up). 5 min walk to the end of the block. 5 min wait for crosswalk (la cops love giving j-walking citations). 5 min walk back up the block. You get the idea.
11/1/13 10:13 PM
fakezaga
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On the other hand, I'll say this:

I used to drive 30 - 45 minutes each way. Now I drive 10-15.

The difference is amazing, especially when it comes to impact on the rest of your life; kids, marriage etc. It's an hour a day I'm saving. I can sit with the kids while they eat dinner.

But you gotta do what you gotta do.
11/1/13 10:35 PM
The Handsome One
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No Phone Post 3.0
11/2/13 2:11 AM
Giraffe
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the past when I've commuted to train I feel like the lessons sunk in better because of the time for mental drilling on the drive time. Phone Post 3.0
11/2/13 8:21 AM
Jits_n_Hoez
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

30 min is nothing. Phone Post
11/2/13 10:30 AM
mattglov01
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't believe this is a serious question, my academy is an hour away and I've been going there consistently for almost 4 years. Phone Post
11/5/13 3:10 PM
KidJustice
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I travel 27 miles one way. When I leave for the Academy at 5:00 I get there at about 6:05/6:10 which is right during warmups. I'm sure people think I'm sandbagging and just trying to miss the workout (I love to workout so that is not the case)

Going home at 7:45 from the academy only takes me 35 minutes.

11/5/13 5:24 PM
rexkwondo79
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 hour away and most people I know commute at least that much. When you want quality instruction or you have an ounce of loyalty in your blood, it's always worth the drive.
11/5/13 5:32 PM
thesalfordmongoose
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I travel 30 minutes to my gym and drive past about 8 others on the way but it's well worth it for the technical level and super positive and healthy atmosphere. Phone Post 3.0
11/10/13 10:45 PM
VincentVega
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been training for 13 years and my commute is 54 miles in EACH direction. I still train with my instructor 2x weekly. The time isn't that bad, cuz it's alone time so you can listen to an audio book, or catch up on biz/personal calls.

But the abuse on the car, the gas, and tolls are rough!!! Phone Post
11/11/13 2:18 AM
Team Python
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I drove 1 1/2 hours one way three to four times a week for 11 years........30 minutes is nothing.
11/11/13 3:05 AM
90lb_weakling

I've commuted 1 and a half hour (actually a bit more) each way for several years in the past when BJJ was scarce around these parts.

I think I could stomach 30 minutes. Hell I spend 20 minutes now. Isnt that normal? 30 minutes to get somewhere I mean? Phone Post
11/11/13 3:10 AM
plasticonoband
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SMACDADDY -  30 minutes is nothing major. If you live less than 15 minutes from your gym, you're practically spoiled. I've traveled as much as 2 hours in one direction over the years. Only issue I see is getting "enough" permission from the wife to be gone that long. "Oh, you can drive an hour round trip for that wrestling/karate crap, but you don't have time to remodel the kitchen?!" Phone Post

lol! you are not alone.
11/11/13 9:44 AM
SidRon
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you are single then it is entirely up to you and it is only your time you are sacrificing so drive four hours to train if you want to. If you are married and or have kids then being gone several hours a day several days a week to pursue your personal hobby is replacing quality time you could be spending with your family assuming they don't train with you.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.