UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rousey: "the perplexing celebration of 'realness'"

10/29/13 10:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JustAnotherMMAFan
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/10/on-ronda-rousey-and-the-perplexing-celebration-of-realness

Ben Fowlkes weighs in on Ronda's perception of being "real":

"Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like this take on the obnoxious behavior of famous people is unique to contemporary society. I don't think there were many people in ancient Rome going, 'You know, that Caligula may be totally insane, but at least he's real, man.'"

"The thing is though, we don't do this (not to this extent, anyway) with other people. Imagine if Rousey wasn't famous, wasn't a world champion, wasn't really good at fighting but was instead just your roommate who worked at Starbucks. If she was doing this stuff in your house instead of on your TV, you probably wouldn't think much of her I'd-rather-be-real-mean-than-fake-nice explanation. You'd probably point out that much of what we regard as civility or common courtesy or "fake nice" is really the act of restraining our natural impulses, which we generally expect from one another".

"It doesn't make you fake to have a thought and keep it yourself, just like it doesn't make you a phony to feel like kicking a hole in somebody else's stuff without actually doing it. Maybe it also doesn't make you much fun to watch on TV. Which, if we're being honest, is what we're actually talking about here. That's the irony of it".
10/29/13 10:48 AM
Granpa
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How anyone can pass her behavior as acceptable from an adult is beyond me. I don't care that she's a great fighter, she's acting like a petulant child in front of the whole world. She either has seriously mental problems, which she should get treated, or a complete lack of class, or a lot of both.
10/29/13 10:48 AM
sacredhate
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ronda is a great figher.

and a WWE personality at the same time.

She's not the total cunt that TUF makes her out to be....the father's day gifts show that she has a good heart....the rest of her displayed behaviour is a mixture of immaturity, and selling the show.

10/29/13 10:49 AM
The Brotorious B.I.G
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't get the hate for Rhonda.

She does the same thing the Diaz bros. Do, but when she does it it ribs everyone the wrong way, including me.

I just don't get it.

Nothing gets me more amped then even i see Nate or nick giving their opponent the bird but when i see Rhonda do it she just seems like a bitch Phone Post
10/29/13 10:51 AM
sacredhate
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Brotorious B.I.G -  I don't get the hate for Rhonda.

She does the same thing the Diaz bros. Do, but when she does it it ribs everyone the wrong way, including me.

I just don't get it.

Nothing gets me more amped then even i see Nate or nick giving their opponent the bird but when i see Rhonda do it she just seems like a bitch Phone Post

plenty of folks here seem to hate the Diaz brothers and see them as unprofessional jokes as well. would be interesting to see what would happen if one of them held a strap and coached tuf actually....this place would implode.

10/29/13 10:54 AM
sacredhate

Pitbull3744 - 
Granpa - How anyone can pass her behavior as acceptable from an adult is beyond me. I don't care that she's a great fighter, she's acting like a petulant child in front of the whole world. She either has seriously mental problems, which she should get treated, or a complete lack of class, or a lot of both.
Actually I would say she is extremely insecure with herself and puts on a facade that isn't really who she is and u can almost see how hard she is trying to be that way. Phone Post 3.0

I think that TUF makes one into a caricature of oneself.

she hard-assed and competitive....so those things got blown out of proportion in her portrayal on the show. The was no way she was going to come across as the empathetic nurturing or mothering type of female coach.
10/29/13 10:59 AM
AK-BJJ

This thread is full of racist eyebrows, imo...
10/29/13 10:59 AM
JkdSam

People call the Diaz brothers dicks as well.
10/29/13 11:13 AM
sacredhate

she just didn't realize the nuance of Chael's actions.

He was never the heel as a coach, and never did shit to piss off dana. He's a WWE character too....and a total company man.

Ronda lacks the finesse with which Chael does it.
10/29/13 11:17 AM
ABE FROMAN
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/29/13 11:21 AM
Pitbull3744 - 

As someone has said here before being "real" is just an excuse to be an asshole and to be like "oh well im real not fake" Blah Blah.  

I'm the one who pointed that out. I wrote a version of this article on here before. The Internet pushes this angle where assholes are doing the world a favor for being assholes. You can see dozens of posts defending some dick for being a dick all over the Internet. Most of them act like everybody else should excuse the asshole because they are just stating their opinion and it's a free country, lol.

Instead of 'if you don't have anything nice to say' it's 'say every bullshit thing you can think of' nowadays.

10/29/13 11:19 AM
moss_4h
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no one cares about ancient rome brah
10/29/13 11:25 AM
tetris
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My guess is that is very insecure and actually has anxiety problems. Phone Post 3.0
10/29/13 11:30 AM
Phil999
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Granpa - How anyone can pass her behavior as acceptable from an adult is beyond me. I don't care that she's a great fighter, she's acting like a petulant child in front of the whole world. She either has seriously mental problems, which she should get treated, or a complete lack of class, or a lot of both.

Serious mental problems?

Do you have any experience with people with mental health issues?
10/29/13 11:35 AM
Mulletron5000
1308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The article assumes that she would be the same person without Judo/fighting. A lifetime of top-level competition and training has undoubtedly shaped her personality. Most people will be put off by her demeanor because most people aren't raised in an extreme environment like she was. Phone Post
10/29/13 11:42 AM
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/29/13 1:18 PM
Mostly I just don't get her much publicized and relentless hatred of Tate. So much has been made out of that, but no one seems to be wondering about the actual source of this hate?

Where does it come from exactly?

Rousey pretty much single handedly manufactured the rivalry back in SF, when she was just another fighter. She managed to get Tate so emotional she couldn't see straight. Then she won the belt. She got everything she wanted.

Shouldn't Miesha be the one giving her the finger? Or is Rousey that mad about being a champion?
10/29/13 12:03 PM
Gobulcoque

You guys still aren't over this shit yet? Jesus.
10/29/13 12:11 PM
I LOVE GSP

She doesn't have a regular job. She can be an asshole to people she doesn't like. It's one of the perks of being a successful professional fighter. Phone Post
10/29/13 12:15 PM
ABE FROMAN
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/29/13 12:15 PM

LOL, fuck that.

I see bigger celebrities every day, if any of them want to be an asshole then all of them get the finger.

Nobody gets a free pass to be an ass unchallenged in NYC. Everybody gets flipped off.

10/29/13 12:21 PM
Shoryuken Rw

Phil999 -
Granpa - How anyone can pass her behavior as acceptable from an adult is beyond me. I don't care that she's a great fighter, she's acting like a petulant child in front of the whole world. She either has seriously mental problems, which she should get treated, or a complete lack of class, or a lot of both.

Serious mental problems?

Do you have any experience with people with mental health issues?
I do, and I agree with him.

Why are you acting like you need psych education to see that Ronda has mental issues? It's pretty obvious man. Phone Post 3.0
10/29/13 12:22 PM
oliverhh
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRFMu3zb5dA
when keeping it real goes wrong..
10/29/13 12:28 PM
Standup29

What confuses me here is outside of her dealings with Mrs and Mr Tate, what else has she done or said that makes her an asshole?

Frankly I thought she has been respectful to her opponents and fans (outside of responses to questions about sex). Like it or not, the media interviews her a lot. People say she should shut up but it's not like she is calling up news sites and asking to be interviewed.

She has only 1 fight in the UFC but has beat 2 of the absolute best women at 135 and Liz was no joke and easily top 10. All the Cyborg talk to discredit her is moronic and simply just an excuse to hate. All the steroid talk aside, the fight was offered (not call outs) and one fighter declined. Simple as that.

TUF is not doing her any favors but does anyone honestly think she would have been flipping off Cat? Does anyone think Cat would have acted like Meisha? These two don't like eachother and Rhonda isn't good at keeping her emotions in check verbally. I just can't wait for the fight to see what happens. Phone Post
10/29/13 12:47 PM
Misedukatd
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the show is 5% reality, 5% kayfabe, and 90% selective editing. I have a feeling that Ronda may not exactly be the character she plays on TV.

10/29/13 12:59 PM
SRTGEO

cool...another ronda thread...gfy op.
10/29/13 1:22 PM
ShaqNoob
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Brotorious B.I.G -  I don't get the hate for Rhonda.

I just don't get it.

She does not do the same thing the Diaz brothers do though. When they do flip someone off, you know that after the fight they're going to be shaking and raising their opponents hand. Ronda is for some reason forever mad at Miesha, even though she beat her.
10/29/13 1:23 PM
Mark Hunts Pet Monkey
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fake hate is dull, and very high school. She is not Chael. She lacks his sense of humor. All she has is angst and cheesy swag. I thought you are supposed to leave those at the door when you leave your teenage years behind.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.