UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> IBJJF Points question?

10/29/13 5:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
andygrahn
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Suppose a competitor applies a toe hold from on top of inverted guard , the bottom competitor defends and scrambles to top position, should 2 points be awarded to the competitor who comes on top & is out of the toe hold?
10/29/13 6:30 PM
thebigkahuna

Probably if he stabalizes. If it is truly a sramble then no. But if you get on top by defending the footlock that is two points.
10/29/13 10:55 PM
andygrahn

Suppose he attacks the rolling toehold from top and lets go because he thinks he broke the guys foot and starts talking to the ref "it's broken" while the former "footlockee" gains top position?
10/30/13 12:15 AM
cross3dout
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you are in a "guard" of some sort of the opponent on bottom and u end up on bottom it is a sweep and points will be awarded however if their is no established guard then it is a reversal and no pints are awarded Phone Post 3.0
10/30/13 12:15 AM
pray for japan

2 points Phone Post 3.0
10/30/13 2:18 AM
BJJBuster
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cross3dout - If you are in a "guard" of some sort of the opponent on bottom and u end up on bottom it is a sweep and points will be awarded however if their is no established guard then it is a reversal and no pints are awarded Phone Post 3.0
I believe this is correct. It doesn't matter how u end on bottom or if you intentionally out yourself there. If guard is established and person with guard goes from bottom to too its a sweep.
They must however clear the sub to get sweep points Phone Post 3.0
10/30/13 3:25 AM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any footlock due to body position is "a guard situation". Ergo if you start from the top and end up on the bottom, you give up 2 points once the submission situation is over.
10/30/13 11:56 AM
andygrahn

I don't see this clearly in their rule book anymore though, ...I remember these type situations happening at tournaments and reading it in one version of the rules at some point.

thanks for shedding light on this!
10/30/13 4:29 PM
deepu
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/04/13 10:06 AM
While we're at it, what happened with the half guard rule where if top guy got bottom guy's shoulders flat, he would get an advantage? I thought they had scrapped that rule so I checked the official rules and all I find is this:

5.7.2 Advantage from Guard Pass
• When an athlete tries to pass guard and the opponent turns on all fours.
• When the athlete achieves half-guard position, with exception to reverse half-guard.
• When an athlete places a knee on his/her opponent's belly but only places the knee and not foot of his/her other leg on the
ground.

Does that mean, just getting to half guard gets you an advantage now? That's even worse imo.

Also there's an asterisk related to this in the rules:

* The examples above are merely illustrative and do not represent the full array of situations that may warrant advantage points.
10/31/13 10:30 AM
deepu
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for refs
10/31/13 5:15 PM
andygrahn

i'm pretty sure you do not need to completely flatten shoulders in 1/2 guard to get the advantage

....refs??

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.