UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bollinger discusses being cut from TUF

10/31/13 2:28 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1024 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

On last night's episode of the The Ultimate Fighter, Season 18, bantamweight fighter Cody Bollinger was kicked off the show by Dana White for failing to make weight. In his latest blog, Bollinger discussed his side and how it has affected his life:

I missed weight and have zero excuses about it, I didn’t adjust well enough to the situation I was put in and paid for that tremendously.  A small piece of advice to those chasing your Ultimate Fighter dream, prepare your mind and body, the show is not a joke.  You have 8-9 weeks and you will have to make a lot of weight cuts.  If you are doing a show at 135 make sure you come in around 135.

I knew from the beginning it was going to be an extremely hard weight cut both mentally and physically and it would push me to my limits but I would like everyone to put yourself in my shoes. If you had what was the chance of a lifetime in your MMA career and the opportunity to be a cast member on The Ultimate Fighter, wouldn’t you take a shot for your dream even if you knew there was a chance you’d have weight problems? I took a chance, paid for the mistake and in the end I would do it over again but with some major changes.

I have no hard feelings about the things said about me, I would have said stuff too had it not been my dream ending.  I understand where they were coming from.  All I can do is live and learn.  When Dana White told me to walk out those doors with the cameras rolling, that was as real as it gets. My run on The Ultimate Fighter 18 had come to an end and my MMA career seemed to have hit a speed bump.

read entire article...

10/31/13 2:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hendofanforlife
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats on being this seasons jason guida

10/31/13 2:38 PM
xaeo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joke Phone Post 3.0
10/31/13 2:44 PM
fasterRN
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did he have to make 135 for the fight to get in the house? Phone Post 3.0
10/31/13 2:49 PM
HeyMarkIt1886
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great question, i would assume so
10/31/13 2:55 PM
UncleChael

I choose not to judge the dude. I do, however, think Dana White was a pretentious prick for trying to embarrass him further on national television just to get some more ratings. Obviously, Cody was upset already. To embarrass him further, that's just biitch shiit for Dana to do. Dana needs to cut down to 155, and then talk shiit. The fat fuuck!
10/31/13 3:03 PM
Morgz
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fasterRN - Did he have to make 135 for the fight to get in the house? Phone Post 3.0

sure he did.  They all did (well, 136 anyway).

I think they even talked about in the episode how they all had to cut again after their fight to get into the house.  And then again and again if they keep winning.  That's why they generally have watch their weight the entire show.

10/31/13 3:09 PM
PrettyBoy
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think fighters need to stop risking their health for TUF since it never pays off for them.

Obviously a weight cut is something you can anticipate having a problem with. But fighters will drop weight divisions to try to make it on the show when the payoff isnt there. You also have guys like Chris Beal this season who fought with a broken hand after being selected as the number 1 pick.

For what? He didnt gain anything out of fighting and making sure the UFC got to put on an episode that week. As far as I can tell the UFC isnt awarding him with another shot on the finale.
10/31/13 3:10 PM
Powerful DJH
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fasterRN - Did he have to make 135 for the fight to get in the house? Phone Post 3.0
Yea his fight to get in had me excited. Kid fights with swagger , sick sub defense and took out a tough dude standing. Phone Post
10/31/13 3:11 PM
Kostakio
432 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't blame him. You can tell he really tried. Cutting weight is no joke. It's not like he was fat and lazily quit. Phone Post 3.0
10/31/13 3:11 PM
SomeoneToDoYourDirtyWork

Missing weight is just plain wrong. I agree. But, the double standard here is just fucking silly!! John Lineker has missed weight 3 x in a row....for actual fights!!
10/31/13 3:12 PM
Stone Rolled
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UncleChael - I choose not to judge the dude. I do, however, think Dana White was a pretentious prick for trying to embarrass him further on national television just to get some more ratings. Obviously, Cody was upset already. To embarrass him further, that's just biitch shiit for Dana to do. Dana needs to cut down to 155, and then talk shiit. The fat fuuck!

Hell no. I usually don't like some of his inflammatory comments. But this one is necessary, genuine, and 100% relevant to his business. Dana has a right to be pissed off. Cody's job is to make weight and put on a show. That's what he was hired to do. Imagine there are one of this every UFC show, that's one cancelled fight in every one event. He would never hear the end of it. Cody was upset. Dude, he's not a 8 year old anymore. It's the real world. Should Uncle Dana buy him a treat to calm him down? Give the guy shit, make him feel like shit as a warning for future contestants. Dana did not overreact.
10/31/13 3:12 PM
AssassinsNATION

UncleChael - I choose not to judge the dude. I do, however, think Dana White was a pretentious prick for trying to embarrass him further on national television just to get some more ratings. Obviously, Cody was upset already. To embarrass him further, that's just biitch shiit for Dana to do. Dana needs to cut down to 155, and then talk shiit. The fat fuuck!
It's his JOB he was given a opportunity and screwed it up horribly. He was made an example out of it. Lesson learned by Cody I'm sure, and maybe this should wake guys up to fight in their natural weight classes. Phone Post 3.0
10/31/13 3:40 PM
Morgz
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounded to me like the mistake was thinking he could compete in that weight class.  Didn't they mention his pre-house fights were 145 and up?

That's where it get's kind of tricky.  You're an up and coming guy, and you get the chance of a lifetime, but it's a weight class below what you normally compete at.  Of course when that carrot of stardom is in front of your face, you are going to do whatever you can to make it happen.  So he made it happen for the fight to get into the house, but it was just too much to do it repeatedly for several fights in a 2 month period.

10/31/13 3:46 PM
KTwo
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Morgz - 

Sounded to me like the mistake was thinking he could compete in that weight class.  Didn't they mention his pre-house fights were 145 and up?

That's where it get's kind of tricky.  You're an up and coming guy, and you get the chance of a lifetime, but it's a weight class below what you normally compete at.  Of course when that carrot of stardom is in front of your face, you are going to do whatever you can to make it happen.  So he made it happen for the fight to get into the house, but it was just too much to do it repeatedly for several fights in a 2 month period.

Awhile ago he mentioned he walks around at 165 on his twitter.
10/31/13 9:37 PM
Morgz

Good grief 165 seems massive for BW.

I don't have a calculator handy but that would be 18%-20% cut, no? Phone Post 3.0
10/31/13 9:40 PM
HexRei

Kim jong illest - So sick of guys pretending to cry while muttering," mmmph my family my family I miss them so much mmheeerr errr". Phone Post 3.0

What was your toughest cut, champ? A papercut in 6th grade?
10/31/13 9:47 PM
MMALOGIC

fasterRN - Did he have to make 135 for the fight to get in the house? Phone Post 3.0

yeah... these excuses are ridiculous.  He didnt watch his weight when he got into the house.  It's not like he was the first one picked to fight.

if junie browing can make weight any sane athlete can. 

10/31/13 9:54 PM
Bentleysuper8

I'll probably get flamed for this but if he was on Team Rousey I'm guessing he'd either of made weight or he would have died in the process.
10/31/13 10:17 PM
FETT_ Cains._Burrito_In_My_BrownEye

More fighters need to account for the weight on short notice, and compete on TUF in the class ABOVE where they would normally fight if they had a proper camp.

This guy had NEVER fought at 135 before the house. I am sure that he saw an opportunity, and it is the chance of a lifetime for some of them though.

Tough situation. Phone Post
10/31/13 10:17 PM
FETT_ Cains._Burrito_In_My_BrownEye

Kim jong illest - So sick of guys pretending to cry while muttering," mmmph my family my family I miss them so much mmheeerr errr". Phone Post 3.0
You are a piece of shit. Phone Post
10/31/13 10:27 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

It is fucked up that if you miss weight on tuf, you're pretty much banned from the ufc(not completely, but affectively). Guys miss weight in the actually UFC all the time, and it not that big of a deal. Sure, it's unprofessional, but people make mistakes. Phone Post
10/31/13 10:43 PM
chaplinshouse
703 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you had what was the chance of a lifetime in your MMA career and the opportunity to be a cast member on The Ultimate Fighter, wouldn’t you take a shot for your dream even if you knew there was a chance you’d have weight problems?

Yes, but without the quitting part. And if weight is a known problem why not eat like a rabbit the whole time, and not scarf down fatty shit like he's at a vegas buffet? Not making weight is bad, but secondary to quitting.   It was made worse by constant talk of how this is all for his daughter / wife and in the end it turns out that wasn't enough fuel to at least try till the end.  Show a pic of family:  "THIS is my motivation!"  then quit?  Were they not worth it? I know it's easy to play armchair warrior and he seems like a nice guy but when that is your dream, and it's so close, and you're repping your family, and millions are watching, I'd rather die than quit.  Where's the pride? His great great grandkids will have access to that film. He should use that fact as fuel to have a stellar career and this will all go away, but if he quit then, how can he now find the power to charge forward to excellence? Bad situation, wish him luck

10/31/13 10:49 PM
Korpiklaani

dont feel sorry for any fighter than tries to lose alot of weight adn then regain it for a fight, why cant people jsut fight at normal weights?
10/31/13 11:07 PM
Genghis84

Bentleysuper8 - I'll probably get flamed for this but if he was on Team Rousey I'm guessing he'd either of made weight or he would have died in the process.

Peggy made weight and she's 6'1, 160lbs. Of course she starved herself the entire time.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.