UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Pumpkin Contest Voting!

11/1/13 12:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris
349 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/01/13 1:13 AM
Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO

Thanks to everyone who participated! Some great entries this year. 

Voting is now live and it's simple. The most 'likes' of the picture on Facebook will win! Vote today, share with your friends, etc. 

2013 Pumpkin Carving Contest

Voting ends November 7th, at 12:00 AM EST.

P.S. Please if you notice that your pumpkin was somehow left out of the voting, please e-mail me immediately (chris@mixedmartialarts.com)

11/1/13 1:43 AM
Letibleu
1666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/01/13 1:45 AM

I wish I had a fake Facebook account. No way I am identifying myself on there.

I would have voted Joe Son for originality of the concept. The others all have merit too. Every single one of them are worthy of a prize of some sort.

Great job everyone!

11/1/13 1:47 AM
Tangerine Dream
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Korean Zombie Pumpkin is GOLD Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 1:49 AM
DARTHHOGAN
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Coleman one is fucking unreal, but man that Belcher tattoo one has me cracking up big time, tough call

11/1/13 1:54 AM
-D0DG3R D0GG13-
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't vote but if I could I'd go with the Rosie O'Donnell one Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 2:00 AM
Team GDP
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hey chris is facebook voting really the best way? i feel like there is a higher chance of someone manipulating a contest on fb.

11/1/13 2:24 AM
MartialArtsMixed
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Korean zombie wins Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 2:31 AM
CDarwin
742 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Letibleu -

I wish I had a fake Facebook account. No way I am identifying myself on there.

I would have voted Joe Son for originality of the concept. The others all have merit too. Every single one of them are worthy of a prize of some sort.

Great job everyone!

+1 Phone Post
11/1/13 5:47 AM
Ch1ef
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Voted for Mark Coleman. That carving is unreal. Phone Post
11/1/13 8:08 AM
Kerouac
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ch1ef -  Voted for Mark Coleman. That carving is unreal. Phone Post

11/1/13 8:37 AM
rushinbear
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cant vote, dont do the Facebook thing.
11/1/13 8:59 AM
Letibleu
1666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/01/13 9:19 AM
rushinbear - cant vote, dont do the Facebook thing.

The forum has an integrated polling system available that works well. It is much more immune to jerry rigging than the Facebook method (Facebook is a really bad idea when it comes to voting contests like this one in terms of fair vote representation). It turns into a popularity contest rather than a merit contest.

Positive points in using the UG forum poll voting system instead of  the Facebook like system:

- Can't flood the forums with one time friends or internet influence because of the MMA.TV signup process. Mods could see a bunch of votes from users with almost no posts if it were to happen. So the voting ends up limited to actual acvtive UG members.

- It can be anonymous for those that believe in the right to privacy when exercising a vote choice

- It isnt Facebook

-People who use their actual Facebook accounts to vote can end up being data mined by other users. Considering the sometimes strong opinions shared around here it really isn't the best idea to have one person who's information about friends, family and their life in general is available to another person that does not share the same. It can open up a whole nasty can of worms.

-Those who vote on Facebook woth their real accounts make themselves vulnerable to a laundry list of possible trouble by anyone who can stay anonymous and motivated by bad intentions.

- Considering the efforts put in by the contestants that participated, a fair vote that is as immune to tampering as possible (within reason) is the least we can do.

- Considering the size of the prizes, it would be naive to think jerry rigging will not happen on Facebook using the like system. The best work should have a chance of winning, not whoever has the biggest social circle.

- The work on display was done by the UG community, for the UG community and should be voted by the UG community.

- Not every MMA.TV member that wants to participate in the voting process has a Facebook account and it should definately not be a requiremement to have a facebook account to actively participate in the community. Seriously.

My intention here is not to shit all over the contest but rather to point out flaws and suggest a constructive alternative. I just would like this thing to remain as fair as possible for both those who did the work and those who vote.  I stronly believe my views will probably be echoed by a majority voice.

11/1/13 8:59 AM
Barbasol OOTFFTT
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rushinbear - cant vote, dont do the Facebook thing.
. Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 9:32 AM
FETT_TFK_El Pescadero
2486 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barbasol OOTFFTT -
rushinbear - cant vote, dont do the Facebook thing.
. Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 9:32 AM
Team GDP
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Letibleu - 

The forum has an integrated polling system available that works well. It is much more immune to jerry rigging than the Facebook method (Facebook is a really bad idea when it comes to voting contests like this one in terms of fair vote representation). It turns into a popularity contest rather than a merit contest.

Positive points in using the UG forum poll voting system instead of  the Facebook like system:

- Can't flood the forums with one time friends or internet influence because of the MMA.TV signup process. Mods could see a bunch of votes from users with almost no posts if it were to happen. So the voting ends up limited to actual acvtive UG members.

- It can be anonymous for those that believe in the right to privacy when exercising a vote choice

- It isnt Facebook

-People who use their actual Facebook accounts to vote can end up being data mined by other users. Considering the sometimes strong opinions shared around here it really isn't the best idea to have one person who's information about friends, family and their life in general is available to another person that does not share the same. It can open up a whole nasty can of worms.

-Those who vote on Facebook woth their real accounts make themselves vulnerable to a laundry list of possible trouble by anyone who can stay anonymous and motivated by bad intentions.

- Considering the efforts put in by the contestants that participated, a fair vote that is as immune to tampering as possible (within reason) is the least we can do.

- Considering the size of the prizes, it would be naive to think jerry rigging will not happen on Facebook using the like system. The best work should have a chance of winning, not whoever has the biggest social circle.

- The work on display was done by the UG community, for the UG community and should be voted by the UG community.

- Not every MMA.TV member that wants to participate in the voting process has a Facebook account and it should definately not be a requiremement to have a facebook account to actively participate in the community. Seriously.

My intention here is not to shit all over the contest but rather to point out flaws and suggest a constructive alternative. I just would like this thing to remain as fair as possible for both those who did the work and those who vote.  I stronly believe my views will probably be echoed by a majority voice.

vtfu. this is what i was talking about in my post. and i say this as someone with one of the shittier pumpkins who would greatly benefit from manipulating the contest. very easy for someone to say "Hey everyone on my friend list go vote this pumpkin so i can win" 

11/1/13 10:10 AM
pennviachoke
1104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah...fuck facebook Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 10:53 AM
Danger'sDaddy
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Too much at stake for there too be any manipulation. Go with a poll thread or a series of them on here. Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 11:36 AM
rushinbear

Letibleu - 

- It isnt Facebook

This gets my vote and a VTFU as well
11/1/13 12:14 PM
JustPeed
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doing it on Facebook is a terrible idea Phone Post
11/1/13 12:26 PM
OnAHigherLevel
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Team GDP - 

hey chris is facebook voting really the best way? i feel like there is a higher chance of someone manipulating a contest on fb.

I think just having Dana rank his top 3 would have been the best and most fair. This is more of who has the most friends.
11/1/13 2:01 PM
fakezaga
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnAHigherLevel - 
Team GDP - 

I think just having Dana rank his top 3 would have been the best and most fair. This is more of who has the most friends.

That's how they did it last year and people weren't happy either. Many folks thought one particular pumpkin (mine!) didn't deserve a prize. But taste is subjective, and this year they went for a different approach.

No system is perfect.

Thanks to everyone who likes my Belcher tattoo pumpkin. I will never win a "drawing on a pumpkin" contest, but I hope I make some people laugh.
11/1/13 3:29 PM
Hel13torm
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fakezaga -
OnAHigherLevel - 
Team GDP - 

That's how they did it last year and people weren't happy either. Many folks thought one particular pumpkin (mine!) didn't deserve a prize. But taste is subjective, and this year they went for a different approach.

No system is perfect.

Thanks to everyone who likes my Belcher tattoo pumpkin. I will never win a "drawing on a pumpkin" contest, but I hope I make some people laugh.
Can you post the "controversial" winning entry? Phone Post
11/1/13 3:36 PM
fakezaga
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/01/13 3:38 PM
LOL at pumpkin controversies!! I'll need the assistance of a bluenamer.

This took third last year. the prizes were all the same: a nice UFC giftpack with a hat, a T-shirt, a backpack and a hoodie.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/theferguson/IMG_1709.jpg

I love all the UG contests and the Secret Santa, but for some reason, people's feathers always get ruffled. I have worked hard on entries for other contests and not won - that's just life.
11/1/13 3:44 PM
DevilsAdvocate
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who made the Andy/Weidman one? It wasn't in the entry thread and wasn't in the Facebook album right away either. Phone Post
11/1/13 4:03 PM
DevilsAdvocate
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There should be a way of voting down Facebook comments that contain photoshop accusations. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.