UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sonnen unhappy with promotion of UFC 167

11/1/13 7:45 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC 167 is the 20th anniverary event for the promotion which debuted in November of 2013. The event features two highly anticipated bouts with Georges St-Pierre defended his title against Johny Hendricks and Chael Sonnen battled Rashad Evans. As big of an event as it is, co-main fighter Chael Sonnen feels like his company isn't doing enough to promote the event:

"You know, I'm on the card and I'm a huge fan. And outside of my fight and St. Pierre's, I don't know who else is fighting that night.  The card as a whole has not been promoted. I think when you have Georges St. Pierre on a card, that at times they view that as enough. And it appears that that's the case. There's another storyline here as well that this is the 20th anniversary event of the UFC, so that's also been taking some headlines. But, I agree, I've seen the commercial and I saw the poster and Rashad and we weren't on either. That's up to them. They handle that, I handle the fighting."

transcribed by MMAMania.com...

listen to entire interview...

11/1/13 8:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack_Bauer
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/01/13 8:18 PM

lol....Chael is awesome

11/1/13 8:22 PM
thebearbohland
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hell yah! ^^^ Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 8:26 PM
iShatswhenWeidmanBassoondSilva
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UG blog talking in past tense like the event is over. Quality!
11/1/13 8:32 PM
ndmma02005
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has a point, I forgot he was on the card. Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 8:39 PM
Harmon Whistler
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"UFC 167 is the 20th anniverary event for the promotion which debuted in November of 2013."

Only one sentence in and already an error.
11/1/13 8:51 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
475 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What does he expect, that UFC sucks at marketing and promotion. Why do you think Primetime numbers are so bad. Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 11:15 PM
IhaveDSL'SforPettis
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy - What does he expect, that UFC sucks at marketing and promotion. Why do you think Primetime numbers are so bad. Phone Post 3.0
They are not only the top organization but have survived when most other orgs have failed, I don't know that they necessarily "suck" at anything. Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 11:31 PM
TheBear228
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't believe GSP is taking a backseat on this PPV poster. Guy is the champ, one of the best ever...and he's got a tiny little side profile on this image. King Sonnen and the Fox executives clearly have this on lock.
11/1/13 11:46 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
475 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IhaveDSL'SforPettis -
GayGuardMooseSaucy - What does he expect, that UFC sucks at marketing and promotion. Why do you think Primetime numbers are so bad. Phone Post 3.0
They are not only the top organization but have survived when most other orgs have failed, I don't know that they necessarily "suck" at anything. Phone Post 3.0
At marketing yes they do. You can hang off their nuts or whatever, but go look at the recent numbers. Most people here have to be reminded about Primetime and other specials because there's no advertising. Phone Post 3.0
11/1/13 11:50 PM
I Love Stun Gun's Dong
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheBear228 - Can't believe GSP is taking a backseat on this PPV poster. Guy is the champ, one of the best ever...and he's got a tiny little side profile on this image. King Sonnen and the Fox executives clearly have this on lock.

That's not the actual event poster genius, just a fan made one. The real poster has only GSP and Hendricks on it, with no mention of Chael-Rashad or MacDonald-Lawler.

11/2/13 5:45 AM
kungfukid
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Debuted in November 2013? Defended? Battled? Who rewrites this shit?
11/2/13 6:48 AM
ChaosOverkill
542 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/02/13 6:48 AM

UFC not promoting a card enough? I AM SO FLABBERGASTED! Surprised they just don't put Derp W JR on the Posters now flexing.

11/2/13 7:01 AM
Bobby Lupo
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IhaveDSL'SforPettis - 

Somewhere out there is a midget whose a little taller than every other midget.
11/2/13 8:55 AM
Buck 65

I didn't even know there was a Primetime for this until yesterday and I missed the 1st episode. Terrible marketing, especially since UFC 167 is supposed to be a big 20 year anniversary PPV
11/2/13 9:24 AM
donkey guard
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does UNderground blog use foreign writers ? Like outsourcing to India? Phone Post 3.0
11/2/13 11:24 AM
Rob San Soo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't buy Gsp fights and just seen how stacked it is , got to buy :) Phone Post 3.0
11/2/13 11:45 AM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC sucks at marketing. Bellator is better at promotion than the UFC. Phone Post
11/2/13 11:55 AM
Entreri

Interesting, I did not know Sonnen was in 167.
11/2/13 3:42 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not excited about the Sonnen/Evans fight. Will pay to see the Sonnen/W. Silva fight, however.
11/2/13 3:53 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
297 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael has been in charge of marketing Chael for so long that the UFC felt they didn't have to anymore.

That's what happened.

Chael has saved the UFC time and effort by promoting his fights.

The UFC was counting on Chael being Chael and marketing his own fight.

Chael brought this upon himself by doing such a good job that the company no longer had to work. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.