UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Can Chandler and Alvarez rematch live up to hype?

11/1/13 7:59 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The first time Eddie Alvarez met Michael Chandler met in the Bellator for cage for the lightweight championship the bout was pure fireworks. A back and forth battle that saw both fighters dropped and hurt, Chandler would finish Alvarez in the fourth round with a submission. Two years later and the two are scheduled to meet again in Saturday's main event, but can the two recreate the magic of the first bout.

"It takes two people to put a fight on like that," Alvarez said. "I've done it a couple times where I've had fight of the year. It's not what you aspire to. You don't want to be in a fight of the year. It takes years off your life. But, it's why fans tune in, it's why people gravitate towards your fights, its why people want to watch you fight. It's important to get into them, but it's important to try not to get into too many of them.

"When you're in them, it's enjoyable, it's why a lot of fighters fight," Alvarez continued. "To feel that feeling, to deal with that adversity and feel the energy of the fans. It's something special, but it's something special you don't want to experience too many times in your career."

Chandler's victory over Alvarez put him on the map, so obviously he remembers the night fondly as well.

"That's the goal," Chandler said. "You want to go out there, you want to be known as the guy who people refuse to miss your fight. ‘If Michael Chandler's fighting, I'm not going to miss that fight.' You want fans to have that in their mind, they've already made that decision. You want to be exciting, you want to be a guy the fans want to see to be involved in a fight like that was great and I'm excited about the fight."

read entire article... 

11/1/13 8:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Going to be a good one

11/1/13 8:16 PM
Kostakio
493 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liquidrob - Going to be a good one

haha Phone Post 3.0
11/2/13 10:35 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get hype
11/2/13 10:41 AM
OneGloveJimmerson
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I expect Eddie to fight more conservative and pick his shots. Chandler is going to be full blown offensive from the very beginning. He is clearly more comfortable loading up on his shots and taking people out then he was earlier in his career.
11/2/13 6:59 PM
CaptainAhab
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm posting just to prove that Bellator coverage does, in fact, generate interest, grab eyeballs and drive revenue for this website.

(Fifth)

(22 hours after OP.)
11/2/13 8:01 PM
I LOVE GSP
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in on first page.
11/2/13 8:10 PM
MediumRareMistake
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let's hope so cuz this is my Saturday night lol Phone Post 3.0
11/2/13 10:10 PM
The Horror

Nothing lives up to the hype, unless it's reasonable hype, in which case it wouldn't be hype.

11/2/13 10:19 PM
The Horror

Bravo for throwing up the top story and getting no comments though. Proves the point and drives it home.

There's a larger issue though which is that there is no hype for this promotion because its not supported.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

11/2/13 10:59 PM
Dana Stern

No I predict a quick finish Phone Post
11/3/13 8:28 AM
liquidrob

Boom
11/3/13 8:35 AM
CaptainAhab
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana Stern -  No I predict a quick finish Phone Post

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/29212271/139-are_you_a_wizard_large.jpg
11/3/13 9:22 AM
Kirik
1663 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Heh

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/29212271/139-are_you_a_wizard_large.jpg

11/3/13 10:24 AM
Nexuscrawlers
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta - Great fight. Better than the first? Phone Post 3.0
I thought the first fight was better. But the rematch def lived up to the hype. Phone Post
11/3/13 3:37 PM
liquidrob

I think it's safe to say that these two can't have anything but a great fight against each other
11/3/13 3:41 PM
Chris27

Nexuscrawlers - 
duckhuntgangsta - Great fight. Better than the first? Phone Post 3.0
I thought the first fight was better. But the rematch def lived up to the hype. Phone Post

this.  First was better but it was a great fight.  I didnt think it would live up to the first fight but it did.  I thought it would be a quick finish.

Guess these two are just made for each other.

11/3/13 4:56 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

KingofBJJ -

can it live up to the hype?  Heck yes!  It was one of the best fights I have seen.  Curran v Strauss was the other.  Both were tied as the best fights of the night IMO.

I can't wait to see Rampage fight. It has been a long time since he fought for anyone but the UFC.

WHAT?!? Curran vs Strauss was boring as fuck. Phone Post
11/3/13 5:07 PM
OCMikey
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those guys are warriors! Can't wait for them to be in the UFC! Better sooner than later! Phone Post 3.0
11/3/13 10:41 PM
CaptainAhab

In Viking heaven all of Odin's warriors hack each other to pieces every day in preparation for Ragnarok. Then they magically regrow their limbs and drink all night.

It would be a great addition to Viking heaven if Chandler and Alvarez could fight every day and magically heal during each night to do it again.
11/3/13 11:00 PM
OCMikey
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CaptainAhab - In Viking heaven all of Odin's warriors hack each other to pieces every day in preparation for Ragnarok. Then they magically regrow their limbs and drink all night.

It would be a great addition to Viking heaven if Chandler and Alvarez could fight every day and magically heal during each night to do it again.
My thoughts exactly I thinnk Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.