UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW, Rebney, Alvarez, and karma

11/3/13 10:21 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Bellator lightweight Eddie Alvarez engaged in a bitter, protracted, and ultimately losing legal battle with Bellator MMA CEO Bjorn Rebney, following Alvarez's attempt to move to the UFC when his Bellator contract expired.

The issue centered on Bellator's right to match any contract Alvarez was offered. The UFC contract offered points on a PPV. Bellator rewrote the UFC contract word for word, a seemingly perfect match. However, Alvarez argued that the word for word contract was not in fact identical, as Bellator had never done a PPV.

Bellator countered that they planned a PPV. In fact, Saturday's event was to have been the promotion's PPV debut, until Tito broke his neck, cancelling a planned fight with Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, and ultimately, forcing the show to free tv. Alvarez's argument was that, to make use of metaphor, the UFC offered him a ride in a Ferarri. Bellator said we are going to go buy a car and you wiill get a ride in it; but no one believed it would be a Ferarri. A ride in a Ferarri is not identical to a ride in an Accord, and thus, by this reasoning, the contracts were not, in fact, identical.

By way of illustration, this is a fighter in a Ferrari:

This is a fighter in an Accord:

In the end, the legal case extended far into 2014, and the peak years of Alvarez's fight career were being spent renovating houses, so he signed a new contract with Bellator.

Several days before his winning Fight of the Year candidate with Michael Chandler Saturday night, Alvarez was asked a prescient question by MMAFighting's Luke Thomas.

"If you win on November 2nd, you win the belt back," Thomas asked Alvarez. "Is it fair to say as a bonus to winning, do you want to stick it to a few people?"

Alvarez replied in the affirmative.

"Yeah, why not? I always smile in the back of my head," he said. "All of the smirk going on inside and it'll feel good."

And so it happened.

UFC president Dana White saw justice in Eddie's win.

"I'm hearing Djork oops Bjork got served a big fat plate of Karma tonight :)" tweet chortled White after the event, adding "Congrats Eddie!!"

Alvarez is believed to have one more fight on his contract, which will undoubtedly be a rubber match with Chandler, and then is a free agent. Rebney was asked about the jibe by reporters after the event.

"If karma is that we just put on the best mixed martial arts fight I've ever seen, that's karma I'll take big boatloads of," said Rebney, as reported by MMAJunkie.

Earlier in the evening, Rebney had declined to respond directly to White's Tweet.

"I've kind of picked my spots where I thought it was necessary to respond. Some of his valuation comments were ridiculous given that his partner paid us tens of millions of dollars for our rights in Latin America – and some of the other things that I've recently responded to on the Askren front. He claimed that the greatest fighters in the world fight in the UFC, but the sixth-ranked welterweight in the world becomes available, and you don't even pick up the phone to call him?

"I don't know what karma is."

What do you think UG? Did you see any karma Saturday night?

11/3/13 10:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DTAlexONE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can someone please explain how Eddie might stick it to Bellator and fam?

If he's under contract and their champion now, how will he able to leave?

11/3/13 10:38 AM
MisterMr
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All I'm seeing here is child's play. These ''promoters'' are not promoting the sport but killing it.

11/3/13 10:40 AM
MMAzombie

Eddie has a 1 fight rematch contract to be free he has to fight Chandler 1 more time win or lose he walks if wants to but keep in mine Eddie made 190k last night he could easily make 250k for fight 3
No matter how you feel about your boss that's a lot of money he won't be making in the UFC no way they start him at 200k

There are fighters who dislike the UFC but gladly take their pay checks from them Eddie is no different. Phone Post 3.0
11/3/13 10:42 AM
Rob San Soo

MisterMr - All I'm seeing here is child's play. These ''promoters'' are not promoting the sport but killing it.

This^^^^^ vtfu Phone Post 3.0
11/3/13 11:42 AM
Mongo Lloyd
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAzombie - Eddie has a 1 fight rematch contract to be free he has to fight Chandler 1 more time win or lose he walks if wants to but keep in mine Eddie made 190k last night he could easily make 250k for fight 3
No matter how you feel about your boss that's a lot of money he won't be making in the UFC no way they start him at 200k

There are fighters who dislike the UFC but gladly take their pay checks from them Eddie is no different. Phone Post 3.0

Unless I am missed something, what Eddie got paid was exactly what Bellator matched from UFC's offer. So yeah he would have made that much and had it been a PPV he would have made even more.
11/3/13 11:45 AM
RicGillespie

Mongo Lloyd - 
MMAzombie - Eddie has a 1 fight rematch contract to be free he has to fight Chandler 1 more time win or lose he walks if wants to but keep in mine Eddie made 190k last night he could easily make 250k for fight 3

Unless I am missed something, what Eddie got paid was exactly what Bellator matched from UFC's offer. So yeah he would have made that much and had it been a PPV he would have made even more.

It is not the same contract. It is a completely different one with new/different terms. So yes, you are missed something.
11/3/13 12:41 PM
Mongo Lloyd
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/03/13 12:45 PM
You are right, looks like Eddie's new contract basically just gives him the opportunity to make Bellator look stupid and pay him to do it.

That said the poster above is still very wrong on the UFC Payout.

UFC offered Alvarez 75k/75k (show/win) making it so that with a win his base payout would have been 150k, just 10k below what Bellator paid him last night for the Main Event fight against Chandler.

Now let's say this fight had happened under the UFC Banner and let's put them on a smaller buy rate UFC. 300k buys.

He would have made an extra 100k.

Eddie was looking to make a lot of money. Giving him PPV points would have put him into a class of fighters that is few and far between in the UFC.

Do not forget the UFC is VERY capable of holding a PPV.
11/3/13 12:43 PM
Mongo Lloyd

In addition, Zuffa currently has a standing offer to Alvarez for a bout at UFC 159 in late April, but has altered its original contract offer to include the pay-per-view revenue perk (in addition to the negotiated $75,000 show and $75, 000 win purses), despite it not being a title fight. According to Alvarez's UFC offer, included in Bellator's complaint, the fighter stands to make an additional $1.00 for every buy between 200,000-400,000 units, $2.00 for each buy sold between 400,000- 600,000 units and $2.50 for each buy sold over 600,000 units.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mma/news/20130120/eddie-alvarez-counterclaim-against-bellator/#ixzz2jbbrFoC9
11/3/13 12:49 PM
NFABeeJay
267 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice little shot at Nick Diaz. Phone Post 3.0
11/3/13 12:49 PM
Chris27

This shit is just stupid, Dana should shut up because karma can come back and bite him in the ass.

11/3/13 12:53 PM
ThickS0lid N Right
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey great fight ... Why are we talking about Dana !? Can we please keep the Bellator news goin about Bellator .. Like maybe results in the top of the news! I pay for an mma website not ufc .com Phone Post 3.0
11/3/13 12:55 PM
epwar
607 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/03/13 12:55 PM

You can't use Nick Diaz as an example without these:

Months later when Diaz lost to Condit (and Dana had to pay him to do media obligations)...

11/3/13 12:57 PM
Frobenius

Well, I wonder which side UG news is on.
11/3/13 12:58 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another amazing fight from Chandler and Alvarez, so let's make it about Dana White

Awesome
11/3/13 1:12 PM
Kirik
1742 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
Frobenius - Well, I wonder which side UG news is on.

Is there a single person on the UG that thinks the identically written contracts were, in fact, identical? if so, please make the case.

Also the image of Diaz was not intended to be a dig at him, at all. It was a reference to Diaz's complaints that with the income he was making, he was driving around in an old Accord. He would not presumably have been making the same complaints if he was driving a Ferarri.

11/3/13 1:15 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

Is there a single person on the UG that thinks the identically written contracts were, in fact, identical? if so, please make the case.

Also the image of Diaz was not intended to be a dig at him, at all. It was a reference to Diaz's complaints that with the income he was making, he was driving around in an old Accord. He would not presumably have been making the same complaints if he was driving a Ferarri.

A lot do, it was about the guaranteed money, potential ppv fights mean nothing

The guaranteed money was matched dollar for dollar
11/3/13 1:16 PM
liquidrob

There wasn't even a guaranteed ppv fight in the contract, the UFC only offered a ppv bout AFTER they knew Eddie couldn't fight and Bellator matched the original offer
11/3/13 1:27 PM
ThickS0lid N Right
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

Hey Kirk how did the UG blog about Bellator stack up to the last few ufc event threads .. I'm curious Phone Post 3.0
11/3/13 1:28 PM
DamnSevern
1192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bjorn comes off much better here,    "Congrats Eddie!!" is all Dana needed to say.

11/3/13 1:30 PM
JStrongMMA

Christ...can you guys be anymore obvious with your one-sided reporting and writing? We just saw a great fight and Bellator put on a strong card so you make this about the controversy of Eddies contract from months ago. Can you guys try...just try to be a credible place for news? Don't give me your crap that no one here cares about Bellator news stories and events because people bitch about this every week. Phone Post
11/3/13 1:30 PM
Zekolas

I still do not get it, can Alvarez sue if bellator does not hold a PPV?

So from what I gather is Bellator had an option to match a competing offer, so UFC put a PPV matching clause in. The whole court case was that Bellator had no way to match this offer but in the end bellator promised it might put on a PPV so Alvarez was stuck with Bellator.

So I get bellator is claiming they still will do PPV but if they do not, can Alvarez walk saying breach of contract?
11/3/13 1:32 PM
liquidrob

ThickS0lid N Right - 
Kirik -

Hey Kirk how did the UG blog about Bellator stack up to the last few ufc event threads .. I'm curious Phone Post 3.0

Bellator 106

43, 000 and counting

UFN 30

27, 000

But no one cares about Bellator...also had 3 Times the posts of UFN
11/3/13 1:34 PM
Chris27

liquidrob - 
ThickS0lid N Right - 
Kirik -

Bellator 106

43, 000 and counting

UFN 30

27, 000

But no one cares about Bellator...also had 3 Times the posts of UFN

Is that the afternoon UFC event? 

What are numbers for primetime events, lets say UFC 166.

11/3/13 1:49 PM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

Chris27 -

This shit is just stupid, Dana should shut up because karma can come back and bite him in the ass.

This.. All the fighters he's done wrong? It'll come back pretty bad. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.