UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Newton: I showed 1st win was no fluke

11/3/13 2:42 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

When former NCAA Division I All-American wrestler and former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammed Lawal entered Bellator, many fans expected him to sail through a tournament, and then in all likelihood take the league's title. However, anything can happen in MMA, which is why you have the fight.

When "King Mo" faced the relatively unheralded Emanuel Newton, this happened.

Many fans attributed the win to the unorthodox technique, characterising it as a fluke. When Newton's rematch with Lawal Saturday night went to decision, it demonstrated that the win was no fluke.

“In some parts of me, I’m glad it went all five, because that shows it wasn’t just a lucky, one-punch knockout and that I can compete with the toughest fighters in the world,” Newton told Sherdog.com after his victory. “I got to show a lot of how my style is different. I don’t think there is anybody in the sport who has a style like mine. I’m able to be Bruce Lee-ish and throw a lot of side kicks, and I think that gets in my opponents’ heads.”

“[I wanted] to keep him on his toes and keep him thinking. I get into my opponents’ heads, because they don’t know what I’m going to throw next. I know I landed some good shots on him, even to the body. He said that I didn’t have him hurt, but I know there were a couple of times where I caught him. You can look in your opponent’s eyes and see that it was a good shot.”

“I’m glad it’s over, and I hope I don’t have to hear anymore trash talking. That’s not the kind of person I am, but knowing Mo and all his guys, I’m sure I’m going to hear more. I’m sure he’s going to climb back up to the top. He’s still the toughest light heavyweight in Bellator. I have a feeling I will see him again.”

Next up for Newton is a rematch with Bellator light heavyweight champion Attila Vegh, who decisioned “The Hardcore Kid” in the semifinals of the 2012 Summer Series tournament.

Newton being Bruce Leeish:

Bruce Lee being Bruce Leeish:

Lee might be able to kick a little higher, but like boards, Kareem Abdul Jabbar's on film don't hit back.

11/3/13 2:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Il Duce
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Happy for him. Phone Post 3.0
11/3/13 2:58 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
572 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Many fans attributed the win to the unorthodox technique, characterising it as a fluke. When Newton's rematch with Lawal Saturday night went to decision, it demonstrated that the win was no fluke."

I felt like this came from Mo and his group more than fans. Phone Post
11/3/13 3:00 PM
epwar
551 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UG Blog using a GIF...oh the irony.

11/3/13 3:18 PM
Kerouac
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really happy for Newton.

And like epwar said...oh the irony.

Again...all this .gif nonsense happened because of the Honda-scoot gif.

Pathetic is the UG.
11/3/13 3:30 PM
Kirik
1927 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
epwar - 

UG Blog using a GIF...oh the irony.

Animated gifs are of course the intellectual property of the copyright holder. In my experience, Bellator MMA is fine with use of GIFs. In my experience, attorneys for the UFC not so fine with it.

Not sure what is ironic about that though?

11/3/13 4:16 PM
NYFists

Newton trains down at wild card in LA. I've seen him there a bunch of times working his Muay Thai with his bald Asian trainer... You can tell he hits hard. Phone Post 3.0
11/3/13 4:27 PM
TwentyNineTwentyEight

Huge congrats to him. He seems like a great guy.

11/3/13 4:29 PM
eXtv

Newton is a good guy (or so he seems) and has an unorthodox style that I actually like to watch. Lots of motion, lots of kicks, very dynamic. Happy that he could silence the doubters last night.
11/3/13 4:32 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People sleep on Newton, people just said he wasnt good after he beat Mo the first time to rip Mo even more

He is tough, has weird angles, but guys who have watched him know he is a good fighter, he could already been the champ or fought M'Pumbu for the title instead of Vegh because most had him winning against Vegh the first time

Good for him

11/3/13 4:33 PM
caposa
1803 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That lead leg high kick was freezing Mo in his tracks all night. Newton's style is so awkward. Phone Post 3.0
11/3/13 5:42 PM
Bay Area

Is that supposed to say former strike force light heavyweight wrestler? Maybe champion? Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 7:37 PM
Keithadamberrydotcom
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great fight Phone Post
11/4/13 8:26 PM
MMA Playwright
843 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"In my experience, Bellator MMA is fine with use of GIFs. In my experience, attorneys for the UFC not so fine with it."

Attorneys for the UFC need to chill out. Legally, of course.
11/4/13 8:56 PM
UGCTT_granite007
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/04/13 8:56 PM
MMA Playwright - "In my experience, Bellator MMA is fine with use of GIFs. In my experience, attorneys for the UFC not so fine with it."

Attorneys for the UFC need to chill out. Legally, of course.

Everyone needs to chill

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.