UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Lyoto Machda: Angles and Feints

11/4/13 3:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DatSpider
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great stuff.
11/4/13 3:52 PM
Lovetriscuit
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great post as usual, but you have a tiny typo.

True is spelled as treu in the opening paragraph. Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 3:53 PM
MMAFriedRice
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Phone Post
11/4/13 4:22 PM
Wasa-B
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another great one, Jack. My questions:

1) The Munoz win seemed to be the first case for Machida in which he won by being more proactive rather than wait to counter. Perhaps this was a bit easier because he knew Munoz's game more but as you mention many times, Machida's boxing isnt all that, he doesnt jab so how do you for see him being able to continue being more proactive like this? Just as we saw, with the kicks?

2) The key from what ive noticed of Machida out of the many things you point out is your "Forcing the Lunge" section or specifically "By fighting at a greater distance than most strikers, Machida forces his opponent to take a step before attacking." Ive noticed each time Machida cleanly counters guys, its the distance he seems to own and that his opponents are not quite used to. Though I thought Machida should have beaten Davis, I thought Davis actually did a good job of throwing Machida's rhythm off. But did you notice anything else differently that Davis did to manage the distance that others were not able to?

3) Basic thoughts on the Hendo fight? Machida threw some and landed some on Hendo but never quite landed anything flush even though Dan is one of the most telegraphed guys out there. Was it perhaps Hendo's power that Machida was weary of at first and where he started finding his range and opening up more later in the 3rd?

Basically, though i think the Munoz win is a good sign, because he knew Munoz and because Munoz's plays into Machida, i want to see Machida vs a Moussasi,Vitor, Weidman to see if he's still the distance master against a better striker but i thought that Machida was losing his magic after the lackluster Hendo and Davis fights.
11/5/13 1:12 PM
Jack Slack
1753 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

11/5/13 6:31 PM
Jack Slack
1753 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bump!

11/5/13 6:34 PM
hubris
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you know I really want to see more of his foot sweeps
11/5/13 7:19 PM
theoutsiders
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vtfuuuuuuu Phone Post 3.0
11/5/13 7:33 PM
KyokushinCatch
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice
11/5/13 7:36 PM
Bloodstorm
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub for later I love jacks articles Phone Post
11/5/13 8:47 PM
theoutsiders
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goosebumps every time I read jacks articles. Phone Post 3.0
11/5/13 9:00 PM
hedfunk
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great stuff Phone Post
11/5/13 11:19 PM
NatualBornTickler
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good read jack cheers Phone Post 3.0
11/7/13 4:00 PM
Jack Slack

TTT

11/7/13 4:14 PM
Willin
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
11/7/13 8:48 PM
DEZBOT

In Phone Post 3.0
11/7/13 9:14 PM
ufc98newb
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - Another great one, Jack. My questions:

1) The Munoz win seemed to be the first case for Machida in which he won by being more proactive rather than wait to counter. Perhaps this was a bit easier because he knew Munoz's game more but as you mention many times, Machida's boxing isnt all that, he doesnt jab so how do you for see him being able to continue being more proactive like this? Just as we saw, with the kicks?

2) The key from what ive noticed of Machida out of the many things you point out is your "Forcing the Lunge" section or specifically "By fighting at a greater distance than most strikers, Machida forces his opponent to take a step before attacking." Ive noticed each time Machida cleanly counters guys, its the distance he seems to own and that his opponents are not quite used to. Though I thought Machida should have beaten Davis, I thought Davis actually did a good job of throwing Machida's rhythm off. But did you notice anything else differently that Davis did to manage the distance that others were not able to?

3) Basic thoughts on the Hendo fight? Machida threw some and landed some on Hendo but never quite landed anything flush even though Dan is one of the most telegraphed guys out there. Was it perhaps Hendo's power that Machida was weary of at first and where he started finding his range and opening up more later in the 3rd?

Basically, though i think the Munoz win is a good sign, because he knew Munoz and because Munoz's plays into Machida, i want to see Machida vs a Moussasi,Vitor, Weidman to see if he's still the distance master against a better striker but i thought that Machida was losing his magic after the lackluster Hendo and Davis fights.

Great questions. Would love answers!
11/7/13 11:42 PM
FullyLoadedFists

Sub Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.