UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ronda Rousey - one trick pony?

11/4/13 1:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jimmy Rustler
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/04/13 1:25 PM

Anyone else notice that Ronda loses every single exchange she has and even gets dominated on the ground up until she snatches an armbar..

people seem to forget that Miesha dazed Ronda on the feet and Ronda had no clue what to do in the standup when Miesha was in her face throwing bombs...

and on the ground Miesha took her back and was dominant up until the armbar.

Take away the armbar from Ronda and she would not be where she is at today. but hey, i mean it works for her so good for her.. but sooner or later once people learn to defend the armbar her days as ufc champ are over.

it pisses me off when shayna baszler says ronda is lightyears ahead of miesha... thats a lie as weve seen from the first fight

by the way, i predict miesha to beat her this time around.

11/4/13 1:25 PM
Poindexter
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I rewatched the fight. I disagree, Miesha let her emotions get the better of her, she rushed in, lost position several times, and was pushing her punches. She gave the fight to her opponent. I see her being calmer this time around, but she didn't show much superiority on the feet and was out grappled. I think she'll lose again.
11/4/13 1:27 PM
JerodR
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But here is the thing... You can't take away the arm bar, or her submission game. Meanwhile she continues to get better at everything else. I wouldn't say that Meisha was dominant until the armbar. Meisha was in the first armbar in about 30 seconds. Then of course we know what happened in the second one. Ronda being relatively new to MMA and having the background she does gives her the advantage. She is going to progress faster in other areas of MMA faster than Meisha is going to improve what she already has.

The Ronda now could beat the Ronda that fought Meisha last time.
11/4/13 1:30 PM
shaqitup
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poindexter - I rewatched the fight. I disagree, Miesha let her emotions get the better of her, she rushed in, lost position several times, and was pushing her punches. She gave the fight to her opponent. I see her being calmer this time around, but she didn't show much superiority on the feet and was out grappled. I think she'll lose again.

I don't know, she fought exactly the same way against Cat. No strategy, no defence, just going forward and giving up positioning.

11/4/13 1:32 PM
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

people are going to figure ronda out sooner or later.

11/4/13 1:34 PM
Letibleu
1714 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/04/13 1:36 PM

I disagree. I don't think she looks like a pony at all. Maybe closer to a gerbil or a chipmunk, but not a pony.

11/4/13 1:44 PM
WISEGUY66
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JerodR - But here is the thing... You can't take away the arm bar, or her submission game. Meanwhile she continues to get better at everything else. I wouldn't say that Meisha was dominant until the armbar. Meisha was in the first armbar in about 30 seconds. Then of course we know what happened in the second one. Ronda being relatively new to MMA and having the background she does gives her the advantage. She is going to progress faster in other areas of MMA faster than Meisha is going to improve what she already has.

I agree with this I don't see Meisha improving her game more than it has been. As for the training with a Judoka unless that person is trying to break Meisha's arm she won't be ready for Ronda. Ronda fights with mean intentions after the Sarah D'Alelio fight starting with Julia Budd she isn't going to release unless there's a tap or a break.
11/4/13 1:48 PM
Genghis84

Jimmy Rustler - 

Anyone else notice that Ronda loses every single exchange she has and even gets dominated on the ground up until she snatches an armbar..

people seem to forget that Miesha dazed Ronda on the feet and Ronda had no clue what to do in the standup when Miesha was in her face throwing bombs...

Take away the armbar from Ronda and she would not be where she is at today. but hey, i mean it works for her so good for her.. but sooner or later once people learn to defend the armbar her days as ufc champ are over.

it pisses me off when shayna baszler says ronda is lightyears ahead of miesha... thats a lie as weve seen from the first fight

Your post reminds me of an interview Ronda had with Crooklyn after the first fight...

SD: Miesha stated that she felt she was winning until you caught her with the second armbar. What's your take on this?

RR: I don't think there's any way she could argue that she was winning that fight at all. If you just look at the striking stats, I landed 43 strikes and she landed 11. If you look at the actual damage, she was bruised up on her leg and her face, not to mention her arm. The only point in the fight where she could say she was being the least bit dominant, is the part where she had my back, but she definitely landed fewer strikes from the back, and had zero submission attempts. The one time she tried to do something, she lost her position immediately. That wasn't a dominant position for her, that was pretty much her holding on for dear life. Every single takedown was me, I had the majority of the strikes, and I got the win. This all happened in four minutes, and if she assumes that the few seconds that she had my back, that she was the winner...well she wasn't doing anything productive there anyway, except prolonging the inevitable.

SD: Miesha said during her interview that you didn't really prove much during your fight. How do you feel about that statement?

RR: It just kind of makes her sound dumb. Everyone knows that I wanted to armbar her, and there was nothing she could do to stop me, even with months of preparation. I think that proves a lot. It's like she's not even looking at the actual situation. I don't know what match she was watching, to really think that. One of those pieces of advice that my mom tells me all the time is, 'Never listen to your own press.' The second I got out of that cage, my coach was already telling me a million things I did wrong. It just seems tome like she must be surrounded by a bunch of "yes men" all the time, saying stuff like, 'Oh yeah, you were winning. You were totally dominating.' If I was her, I would look at that match, look at what I did wrong, and try to fix it next time, and not be like 'I was totally winning before I lost.'

SD: Miesha says that the only thing you're really good at is the armbar, and that she feels she excels in all other areas over you. Are there any areas you felt she was dominant in during your fight?

RR: Then why did she get taken down three times? I had more takedowns than her. I had more submission attempts. I had more landed strikes. Even if you just look at it on paper, I had more dominant positions, more strikes...I beat her in every single category. Anyone watching the fight wouldn't have thought that she was winning at any point. I don't know what fight she was watching, but it might be a different one than the one I'm looking at.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/3/13/2867151/ronda-rousey-miesha-tate-dumb#storyjump
11/4/13 2:01 PM
tbi0904
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jimmy Rustler -

Lol at dazed. That fight lasted a grand total of 28 seconds on the feet. Also show me any other Ronda fight with any kind of meaningful striking exchange. As far as the grappling goes Meisha and everyone else has lost that badly as well except Liz (who got subbed none the less). Nothing you wrote is correct. Does Ronda rustle your jimmies more than Cole Konrad retiring? Phone Post
11/4/13 2:06 PM
clattymine
570 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think she's a one trick pony, but she's pretty close.

What's even more impressive is that you fight her knowing an armbar is coming and you still can't stop it.  Even if that is her one trick, it's a great one.

I want to see her deep in the championship rounds and see a real battle.  That would reveal a lot.

11/4/13 2:18 PM
badnewsbrown
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bozzy - Dana has been praising her boxing and how well its coming along for awhile now.

I remember him saying he saw her hitting the pads in the gym one time and he was blown away. He said her boxing looked scarier than most of the guys on his roster.

So if its coming along like Dana says it is, if she's a one trick pony, she wont be for long.

dana white is the promoter. he's not going to go in there and say his champion is looking like crap.

that said, i beleive ronda has been working on kickboxing and will beat tate again via armbar.
11/4/13 2:22 PM
cleetdog101
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NOT a 1-trick pony...when everybody in the world KNOWS what you're going to do, and they still cant stop it?...you got skills!
11/4/13 2:33 PM
colubrid1

She is not one trick.. she has good skills in all areas..

she just does the judo and submission that well.

Her other skills just set that up and makes it look easy for her.
11/4/13 2:41 PM
AMartinez20

Retired Jimmy Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 2:47 PM
Bingo'ed in Brazil
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Confucius say "move that win fight only move needed" Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 4:22 PM
okiebug
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John Smith dominated wrestling with a single leg. Nobody ever stopped it.
11/4/13 4:27 PM
A.Muradyan

Ronda has many tricks, but she does have the One best Race Horse no one can match, and she'll win the race with that everytime.
11/4/13 4:46 PM
ShawnTheBadger
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JerodR - But here is the thing... You can't take away the arm bar, or her submission game. Meanwhile she continues to get better at everything else. I wouldn't say that Meisha was dominant until the armbar. Meisha was in the first armbar in about 30 seconds. Then of course we know what happened in the second one. Ronda being relatively new to MMA and having the background she does gives her the advantage. She is going to progress faster in other areas of MMA faster than Meisha is going to improve what she already has.

To add to this, Ronda is an elite level athlete who understand focus, dedication and extremely hard work.  She's recieveing top-level training.

I think we are going to eventually see Rondas striking and other submissions.  And they will be quite good "all of a sudden".  Even though she's been training the shit out of them all this time.

11/4/13 6:11 PM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry but i never see Ronda developing an insane level of striking. That is not necessarily a big problem because the woman tend to work for submission more often anyways. But i do think she is lacking in terms of all round skill. Its a generational thing though. People seem to forget how thinly populated the woman division of in regards to true all round talent. They have some catching up to do (which is only logical considering where they are coming from).

She wont really be challenged by someone like Miesha. Frankly i do not see her really challenged by Cat either. I still think McMann (eventually) or Holmes (eventually) have the best chances of beating her. Problem is when they acquire the skill Ronda will be long gone.

The only truly interesting fight in the woman division is Ronda vs Cyborg (at catchweight) but we all know it will never happen.
11/4/13 7:56 PM
BRZ

Not sure why people complain that Ronda is a one trick pony. That one trick is getting the job done so far. Did fans complain because Chuck only tried to KO people and never when for subs? Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 8:11 PM
bshaw1979

Hitting pads and fighting are two different things. There is a reason why Her stand up looks sloppy and bad in every fight. Its just not good.
11/4/13 8:47 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Essentially the female Palhares. The women at least at 135 are at a stage so far where that is enough to beat everyone. Phone Post
11/4/13 8:49 PM
BrckNoHitBk
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A.Muradyan - Ronda has many tricks, but she does have the One best Race Horse no one can match, and she'll win the race with that everytime.

What's the other many tricks?
11/4/13 8:55 PM
dermotfix
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I know what Uncle Buck would tell Rousey...

11/4/13 9:00 PM
DragonDidn'tDrinkEnoughPee
935 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take this quarter, go downtown. .... Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.