UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones: "Let's see Gustafsson vs Cormier"

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
11/4/13 1:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Card
2329 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/04/13 1:34 PM

transcribed via - http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/4/5060680/jon-jones-talks-ea-sports-cover-gustafsson-teixeira-cormier-rampage

"I just want to see Gustafsson fight a top contender. It seems like these guys aren't having the toughest time to get to the belt. Teixeira beats Bader to a title fight. Gustafsson beats Shogun to a title fight. Let some of these top guys fight each other. They give the toughest guys the easiest match ups to get a title shot. These top contenders aren't really fighting other top contenders. Little Nog? I was like really? You really want to have the rematch that bad. No disrespect to Nogueira. Let's see Gustafsson vs. Cormier, it makes so much sense."

11/4/13 1:34 PM
disbeliever
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Didn't Jones beat Bader for a title shot?...
11/4/13 1:34 PM
Choochy
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - Didn't Jones beat Bader for a title shot?...
Shhhh. Do as he says, not as he does. Phone Post
11/4/13 1:37 PM
Vote me down
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol
11/4/13 1:38 PM
ZombiedKoreanTurnipHead
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones just wants him to fight black fedor because he knows Gus would win the rematch. Phone Post
11/4/13 1:38 PM
MMALOGIC

if they fight each other then who are you going to fight Jon?  You wanna fight 3 times a year right? 

11/4/13 1:39 PM
MahatmaPetey
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe Jones can fight a couple more MWs while Gus takes out the real contenders. Phone Post
11/4/13 1:42 PM
RampageFitsLikeAGlove

disbeliever - Didn't Jones beat Bader for a title shot?...

Bader was 12-0 overall and 5-0 in the UFC when they fought.  He was a top contender at the time and was going to get the shot if he beat Jones. 

Jones is right.  Why should Gustaffson get another title shot after beating Lil Nog or Cormier get a title shot for beating Roy Nelso yrt never fighting at 205 while someone like Johny Hendricks has to beat Waldburger, Pierce, Koscheck, Fitch, Kampmann, and Condit to get a shot?

11/4/13 1:42 PM
Infamous Ed

He's trying to stay away from gus Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 1:44 PM
disbeliever
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

Bader was 12-0 overall and 5-0 in the UFC when they fought.  He was a top contender at the time and was going to get the shot if he beat Jones. 

Jones is right.  Why should Gustaffson get another title shot after beating Lil Nog or Cormier get a title shot for beating Roy Nelso yrt never fighting at 205 while someone like Johny Hendricks has to beat Waldburger, Pierce, Koscheck, Fitch, Kampmann, and Condit to get a shot?

I assume you were as equally vocal about other title shots not "worthy" in recent times?
11/4/13 1:45 PM
TheKidAintMine
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Infamous Ed - He's trying to stay away from gus Phone Post 3.0

Yup.
11/4/13 1:46 PM
ShanTheMan
925 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He blows up the shogun fight when adding to his resume, but it means nothing when gus beats shogun?

Nice way to try and eliminate on of your true contenders. Phone Post
11/4/13 1:48 PM
RampageFitsLikeAGlove

MMALOGIC - 

if they fight each other then who are you going to fight Jon?  You wanna fight 3 times a year right? 

Isn't he fighting Glover next March?  Another guy who never had to beat a top contender?  So he could fight him, the winner of Gus/Cormier after that (maybe the end of next summer), and in the meantime another should be on the radar (maybe Mousasi) to fight end of next year.  That's 14 months taken care of.  Again, it makes sense that a #1 contender should have to beat a top guy.  If they can't do it, they don't deserve the title shot anyhow.

11/4/13 1:50 PM
JJSFC
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones is shook and needs to shut up. Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 1:53 PM
JimmersonzGlove
576 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another foot in mouth interview. Phone Post
11/4/13 1:53 PM
RampageFitsLikeAGlove

disbeliever - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

I assume you were as equally vocal about other title shots not "worthy" in recent times?

So do you want to talk about Bader or other title shots?  Let me know and we'll go from there.

If you're referring to opponents like Vitor or Chael, I was absolutely vocal.  However, it's not Jones' fault Hendo injured himself and backed out 1 week before the fight.  It's not Jones' fault the UFC wants to promote Chael and constantly give him big fights.

From my understanding, Jones has never turned down an opponent.  The UFC tells him who to fight and he does it.  He gives his opinion on who he thinks deserves a shot, but fights whoever.  Am I wrong by making that statement?

11/4/13 1:55 PM
Ringworm74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He wants them to expose their weaknesses. Smart I guess. Im not a jones fan. Phone Post
kyle223
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/04/13 2:03 PM
I know UFC fighters fight for a living and probably aren't scared of fighting another guy, but it really seems like Jones fears fighting Gus again.

He knows his reach, his biggest advantage in his other fights, is negated when he fights GUS, and unless he really improves his striking and wrestling, the second fight with Gustafsson will be very similar to the first one.

The reason these contenders are getting such "easy" fights before getting a title shot is because the LHW division is so shallow these days. Since Machida moved to MW, who else is there besides Gus, Cormier, Davis, and Texeira? You can't have all of these guys fighting each other and eliminating one another from a shot at the title.

I hope Gus takes this second fight with Jones and tko's him.
HandyDarsh
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty sure jones just shit talked his own biggest wins... Phone Post 3.0
the superhamster
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These are the words of a man who recently experienced how it feels not to be the best guy in a fight and now does everything he can to avoid that feeling again.
in_different
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was actually a really good interview. Not a Jones fan, but he has come a long way as a person since he first won the title.

Gustaffson and Cormier shouldnt be fighting people like Nog or Bader at this point if they are looking at the title shot next. Their opponents should be Rashad, Phil Davis, or Dan Henderson.
11/4/13 1:59 PM
XFO MMA
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon Jones just shouldn't ever talk.  

11/4/13 2:00 PM
Big Pookie
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MahatmaPetey -  Maybe Jones can fight a couple more MWs while Gus takes out the real contenders. Phone Post

This.

I'm a Jones fan, but I wish he would never give interviews.
11/4/13 2:04 PM
theoutsiders
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL surprise! Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 2:08 PM
mackass
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - Didn't Jones beat Bader for a title shot?...
The two situations are completely different. Both were undefeated (not counting hamill dq) and the rashad injury is what made jon the viable option Phone Post 3.0
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.