UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Renzo: Royce living in dreamland

11/4/13 6:18 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

It is widely held that MMA has developed from its Vale Tudo origins, drawing now from striking, BJJ, and wrestling. Some members of the Gracie family has been faulted at times for not keeping up with the changes in the sport.

However, in an interview with MMA Fighting's Guilherme Cruz last month, UFC Hall of Famer Royce Gracie took a contrarian stance, arguing that the reason Gracie family fighters are not doing well is actually because they are cross training. The interview followed Roger Gracie's one-sided, three-round decision loss to Tim Kennedy at UFC 162 in July, in a fight that saw Kennedy land 54 of 92 punches thrown, while Roger landed just 12 of 29.

"Jiu-jitsu is enough," said Royce. "I’ve trained boxing in the past to learn the distance, trained wrestling to understand how he would take me down, but I won’t get there to fight my opponent’s game. The guys from the family want to complement their game, like if jiu-jitsu was incomplete. I guess they forgot a little about history."

"Roger, like any other member of the family, is trying to learn wrestling, boxing. I believe in pure jiu-jitsu. That’s what I’ve done in the past. You have to go back to your roots and train Gracie jiu-jitsu."

Roger has trained at BJJ legend Renzo Gracie's academy in Manhattan, the most financially succesful martial arts school in America. Further, Renzo's school has helped turn out a vast number of champions, including Frankie Edgar, Matt Serra, Georges St-Pierre, and Chris Weidman among countless others.

In a recent apearance on Ariel Helwani's The MMA Hour,  Renzo took issue with his cousin Royce's criticism, faulting the UFC Hall of Famer for failing to help school the next generation.

MMAFighting's Guilherme Cruz once again has the story.

"In order to make a negative comment about the Gracie family, you have to help the Gracie family," said Renzo. "You have to actually be producing new champions, putting your time to build new champions. I don’t remember Royce doing that."

"Each man chooses their path. How can I judge someone if I don't walk on their shoes? It's their comfort zones. Unfortunately, I cannot just sit and watch. Don't judge others with harsh word on situations that you didn't try to improve them. This is the portrait of life. People will claim that we forgot who we are, that we forgot jiu-jitsu. ... We didn't forget s---, man. We are 100% what we are. We live, eat and breathe what we do.

"Come train them, and then you're going to be able to evaluate the reality. Sometimes people move away from reality and start dreaming, and they start living in the dreamland, judging others by their dreams or believing what people tell them."

Renzo says he is not going to ask Royce why he has not helped the next generation of Gracies come up.

"I don’t need to ask, he probably asks himself that every day," said Renzo. "Why am I going to ask him that? A man knows what he should think. We were born with that privilege. If you're comfortable laying your head in the pillow thinking that what you’re doing is the right thing you do it, but don’t judge the others. Don’t come pointing fingers. I can talk bad about people because when they need me I'm there… I know how hard they work."

Renzo has a different understanding as to why the next generation of Gracies has not achieved the towering success of the first - they are no longer so hungry.

"You give them a life of a superstar," said Renzo. "They get what they want. They can do what they want. It's different. When I started fighting I didn't have shorts to use. I had to conquer. It's a different level of commitment back there."

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

11/4/13 6:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WuDaddy
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 6:29 PM
DanTheWolfman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnGGGG!!!!!
11/4/13 6:32 PM
Mark Hunter
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Although I think Renzo is right to a certain extent about the younger Gracies (ie, not being as hungry because they're comfortable), I also think that younger Gracies are in a spot where they're damned if they do/damned if they don't.

For example, Roger Gracie was criticized for not being able to strike better, but he has only been caught once striking. As for his wrestling, he typically puts the fight on the floor until he loses his gas. He problem, in my opinion, is that the cut to 185 kills his gas tank. If he goes back to 205 and continues training, I think he'll be fine.

Rolles Gracie catches it, too. After disappointing many in his UFC debut, he has won several fights in other organizations. Like Roger, he was criticized for his lack of striking. So in his last match, he outstrikes and frustrates his opponent for the entire first round. He then gets caught and dropped in the second round, and everyone makes fun of him for striking. So he catches hell if he doesn't strike, and catches hell if he strikes (and even wins one round definitively).

Ultimately, the younger Gracies catch so much hell for just being Gracies that who could blame them if they just ran their academies and enjoyed life.
11/4/13 6:34 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't Renzo and Royce come from somewhat well-to-do families in Brazil?
11/4/13 7:24 PM
ChipW
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Hunter - Although I think Renzo is right to a certain extent about the younger Gracies (ie, not being as hungry because they're comfortable), I also think that younger Gracies are in a spot where they're damned if they do/damned if they don't.

For example, Roger Gracie was criticized for not being able to strike better, but he has only been caught once striking. As for his wrestling, he typically puts the fight on the floor until he loses his gas. He problem, in my opinion, is that the cut to 185 kills his gas tank. If he goes back to 205 and continues training, I think he'll be fine.

Rolles Gracie catches it, too. After disappointing many in his UFC debut, he has won several fights in other organizations. Like Roger, he was criticized for his lack of striking. So in his last match, he outstrikes and frustrates his opponent for the entire first round. He then gets caught and dropped in the second round, and everyone makes fun of him for striking. So he catches hell if he doesn't strike, and catches hell if he strikes (and even wins one round definitively).

Ultimately, the younger Gracies catch so much hell for just being Gracies that who could blame them if they just ran their academies and enjoyed life.
Lots of truth. VU Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 7:25 PM
ShamusO'nyou
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
11/4/13 7:35 PM
Goblowyourself
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomas Andersson - putting words in his mouth with he title though.
This Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 7:41 PM
Timtek

Renzo is 100% correct. Your jits ain't gonna be effective if you're getting lit up like a Christmas Tree. Just ask Aoki or Jorge Gurgel.
11/4/13 7:52 PM
heliotropic
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

powerful Renzo Gracie!

someday i'm going to visit his academy in ny. most lucrative school in america?
11/4/13 8:04 PM
Wasa-B
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Renzo > Royce
11/4/13 8:08 PM
Wasa-B
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Timtek - Renzo is 100% correct. Your jits ain't gonna be effective if you're getting lit up like a Christmas Tree. Just ask Aoki or Jorge Gurgel.

This statement may given you the opportunity to insert a witty phrase but you couldnt have used 2 worse examples. Gurgel is actually the epitome of Royce's point and Aoki reached the top ranks of his division on pretty much his grappling alone. Why dont you ask Alvarez, Kawajiri, Hansen, etc how they felt about getting taken taken apart like that those same Christmas tree lights at the end of the season.
11/4/13 8:20 PM
mrgoodarmbar
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another factor is simply that there are many people training grappling, etc for about as long as them now...Only some of these guys are genetically gifted athletes. It's a pretty amazing feet for a family that is made up of your avg joe as far as athleticism, for them to still even be on the map given the level of athlete and professional style training regiments.
11/4/13 8:34 PM
Wasa-B

Ummm.....bjj's techniques are a whole lot rougher than judo's pal? Or however it went....
11/4/13 8:35 PM
CoreNobody
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess Royce forgot about his fight against Hughes Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 8:57 PM
Kostakio
494 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad to see them badmouth each other. Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 8:59 PM
MrColdCock
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CoreNobody - I guess Royce forgot about his fight against Hughes Phone Post 3.0
You mean the fight where Hughes followed Royce's advice and played to his strengths and out grappled Royce instead of standing and wanging? Phone Post
11/4/13 8:59 PM
RollHighAllDay

I hope this sets up a Gracie vs Gracie match in the ufc.
11/4/13 9:27 PM
ShieldsWrestleBangedMySN
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont think anyone with even moderate intelligence questions the fact that Renzo would whoop Royce.
11/4/13 9:34 PM
ChaosOverkill
519 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One word: Cardio

11/4/13 9:42 PM
BJ Penn Forever
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Renzo beats Royce in NHB or MMA in 1989, 1999, 2009, or 2013. No doubt out it. Renzo now trains champions in BJJ, submission wrestling and MMA. Props to him.

11/4/13 11:20 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't believe Royce realized he would be insulting Renzo when he made that statement.
11/4/13 11:25 PM
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They are both in a way correct. Royce is right, that Roger and the other members of the Gracie family should focus on and use their BJJ. Renzo is correct that they have to be at least proficient in other arts to be successful. Either way I love Renzo.
11/4/13 11:27 PM
shaqitup
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's because the talent pool is much deeper than when they were having great success.

11/4/13 11:51 PM
cross3dout
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Lives Here -
Wasa-B - Renzo > Royce
Come on man. He's a far more accomplished trainer but this is Royce we're talking about

What's Renzo's best win? The DQ against Frank? Phone Post 3.0
Lol dude rea

How about tapping Pat Milletich? Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.