UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cotto offred over 10million to fight Canelo

11/6/13 6:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PrettyBoy
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With all the big paydays being discussed over the Eddie Alvarez Bellator contract and Machida's new UFC deal I think this is relevant discussion. Do you all think its time to discuss wheather fighters should push for a diffrent contract model which would allow them to sign with a promotion for a madatory purse but also allows some lattitude to negotiate each fight based on the magnitude of the event?

I mean it seems crazy that Boxers can get tens of millions while Liz Camouche can headline a ppv for 12k or the Korean Zombie for 20k.

What say you UG?
11/6/13 6:32 PM
PrettyBoy
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/6295/cotto-offered-deal-for-canelo-fight

Link for above Cotto Story.
11/6/13 6:38 PM
Authority Figure
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I say guys like Bjorn and Dana will not let it happen. But its the ideal situation for main event fighters. Phone Post
11/6/13 6:42 PM
Captfireeyes
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Johnson got paid $121,000 to fight Jeffries in 1910. Ali and Foreman got 5 million each in their fight. Kinda funny to think that title contenders in the UFC like the Korean Zombie get a guaranteed 20k. For a company that's supposedly worth over a billion dollars, it bothers me that the fighters see such little % of the revenue. Phone Post
11/6/13 6:46 PM
ajl416az

dont need to even bring up zombie

thats almost twice what Georges will make vs hendricks

I'm normally 100% for the fighter. but there is a negative to giving all the leverage to the fighters, vs the org.

look at Floyd Mayweather's resume. is there a single Hall of Famer (in their prime) there?
that is where it leads when the fighter has all the leverage. they can make all the money they want, taking the fights they can easily win

i hope the UFC can find the middle point
11/6/13 6:48 PM
PrettyBoy

ajl416az - dont need to even bring up zombie

I'm normally 100% for the fighter. but there is a negative to giving all the leverage to the fighters, vs the org.

look at Floyd Mayweather's resume. is there a single Hall of Famer (in their prime) there?
that is where it leads when the fighter has all the leverage. they can make all the money they want, taking the fights they can easily win

Mayweather has a ton of Hall of Famers in thier prime on his resume. Not sure what you are talking about.
11/6/13 6:49 PM
allforroy
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for him. Phone Post 3.0
11/6/13 8:32 PM
Steven McTowelie
434 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ajl416az - dont need to even bring up zombie

That's bullshit slander, and Money is going to prove that shit when he fights Pacquiao in a few years. Phone Post 3.0
11/6/13 8:36 PM
Chris27

a boxing is better than mma, boxers make more than mma fighters thread from Pretty Boy? 

Never saw that coming. 

11/6/13 8:38 PM
Chris27

Good for him and he should take it.  It makes sense.  canelo is still a young star but after the Floyd fight in order to get the most out of Canelo he needs a big fight.  You cant go back to putting him vs nobodies on SHowtime, not for what they money he is gonna make.

So they need him on PPV and Cotto is the guy.  Big name vs big name, great fight, PPV fight, a PPV fight that should do very well. 

11/6/13 9:04 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The year: 1988.

The fighter: Donny LaLonde.

The payday: 6 million to face Sugar Ray Leonard.

Imagine that payday in 2013 dollars!

LaLonde was a complete nobody so it's not like Spinks-Tyson or something.

Sugar Shane Mosley recently was to earn 1 million to fight Anthony Mundine in Australia on a Wednesday on ESPN 3.

The fight fell through due to a breach in contract so he pocketed 300K to not fight.

Sugar Shane made more for not fighting Anthony Mundine than Alvarez and Chandler have earned for 10 rounds of beating the fuck out of each other.

Forget trying to be like Cotto or Canelo.

MMA needs to be able to earn Donny LaLonde in 1988 dollars. Phone Post
11/6/13 9:47 PM
PrettyBoy

Chris27 -

a boxing is better than mma, boxers make more than mma fighters thread from Pretty Boy? 

Never saw that coming. 

I didn't say any of those things. But don't you think this needs to be rectified someday? Should fighters bury their heads in the sand out their hands up and say that's just how it is?

Marquez vs Bradley did 390k buys. One got over 6 million the other for over 4. Bon Arum was extremely happy saying Too Rank still pocketed millions.

Do you think the UFC paid out 10 million to all the fighters combined on their recent 300k plus PPV's?

I just don't find the disparity to be justified. But I'm sorry if my advocating for fighters over the UFC profit margin upsets you. Phone Post 3.0
11/6/13 9:51 PM
Augustus Caesar_Stun Gun'd_My_Dong

Cotto vs Canelo would do a lot of PPV buys.

Mexican vs Puerto Rican fights usually do.

11/6/13 10:09 PM
ufc98newb
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am always one of the first to go out and bash fedor and management for how the last few years of his career were handled, but they did what they thought necessary to get the most $$ for themselves. If mma fighters are ever gonna approach the kind of money boxers are making, more guys will have to do like Fedor and M1.

They guys like GSP, Anderson, etc. would have to get together on it.

If GSP went out on a barnstorming tour, it would put a huge dent in the ufc. But it would take time, and it would take a couple of other big name ufc guys letting their contracts run out so they could go out and fight him.

UFC kind puts the kibosh on this stuff though with the championship clauses, and the one sided 8-10 fight contracts
11/7/13 7:16 PM
Captfireeyes
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know we will never get this information, but I would love to know what % of revenue the fighters actually take home. NHL splits it 50/50 between owners and players. I'd be shocked if the fighters see 20%, and that's probably a high estimate. For a company that is worth supposedly 1 billion, it's pretty said to hear them brag about making 26 millionaires in their history. Gary Betmen was the 13th highest paid person in the NHL, and he is way over paid IMO. I bet Dana takes home more in a year then 90% of their roster combined. Does Dana work hard? Fuck yes! But it still doesn't mean he should receive a bigger % of revenue then the hundreds of the fighters he employs combined.

*waits to be voted down for questioning the UFC's business practices* Phone Post
11/7/13 7:32 PM
MMAFriedRice
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's the way it will always be whilst the UFC takes the lions share!! For MMA fighters to get anywhere close to what boxers get paid they cannot work for the UFC!!!!! The UFC is a multi billion company that makes its money from their employees. There are other multi billion companies around the world that pay their staff more than the UFC pays their fighters!!!!! Phone Post
11/7/13 8:35 PM
Lex_o

To be fair ufc is going to payout 24 fighters in 1 week on events with low viewership.

Canelo fight will be a big event with only 2 fighters being taken care of Phone Post 3.0
11/7/13 8:43 PM
Authority Figure

Hi Dana!

11/7/13 8:45 PM
gokudamus

PrettyBoy - With all the big paydays being discussed over the Eddie Alvarez Bellator contract and Machida's new UFC deal I think this is relevant discussion. Do you all think its time to discuss wheather fighters should push for a diffrent contract model which would allow them to sign with a promotion for a madatory purse but also allows some lattitude to negotiate each fight based on the magnitude of the event?

I mean it seems crazy that Boxers can get tens of millions while Liz Camouche can headline a ppv for 12k or the Korean Zombie for 20k.

What say you UG?

ummmm if the fighters could get that type of money..ie if they were worth that much, they would get it...

11/8/13 12:21 AM
thatcpjguy

The comparison doesn't work because less money is being thrown around in MMA.
The hbo/showtime battle changes the whole dynamic of how much money can be spent when comparing boxing to the UFC.

Simply put, UFC and MMA in general couldn't survive if MMA fighters were demanding those types of purses. Phone Post 3.0
11/8/13 12:24 AM
daba

Doesn't pay to be in MMA. It's that simple.
11/8/13 12:33 AM
kingkoopa

Captfireeyes - I know we will never get this information, but I would love to know what % of revenue the fighters actually take home. NHL splits it 50/50 between owners and players. I'd be shocked if the fighters see 20%, and that's probably a high estimate. For a company that is worth supposedly 1 billion, it's pretty said to hear them brag about making 26 millionaires in their history. Gary Betmen was the 13th highest paid person in the NHL, and he is way over paid IMO. I bet Dana takes home more in a year then 90% of their roster combined. Does Dana work hard? Fuck yes! But it still doesn't mean he should receive a bigger % of revenue then the hundreds of the fighters he employs combined.

*waits to be voted down for questioning the UFC's business practices* Phone Post
Legit post

Dana and co have done wonders for making mma more mainstream. At this point however UFC is holding back the progress off MMA

From fighter salary to global Mma growth Phone Post
11/8/13 12:45 AM
Paramount Donkey
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that is why boxing is so fucked up. No one is going to turn down that money and it creates obvious mismatches.

It pretty much allows anyone who has made a name pick and choose opponents, which are usually opponents with styles that they work really good against

Don't get me wrong,i would love to see ufc fighters make more for sure though. Especially the long reigning champs Phone Post
11/8/13 12:57 AM
dubate
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PrettyBoy -

Mayweather has a ton of Hall of Famers in thier prime on his resume. Not sure what you are talking about.
In all honesty because I can't think of any, which hall of fame fighters did he fight in their prime & in their weight class? Phone Post
11/8/13 2:24 AM
PrettyBoy

dubate -
PrettyBoy -

In all honesty because I can't think of any, which hall of fame fighters did he fight in their prime & in their weight class? Phone Post
Dude that's insane. To be honest Genaro Hernadez should be considered in his prime being that he had never lost a super featherweight fight and was favored to beat Mayweather. Would Diego Corrales be better for you? Zab Judah? Was Marquez not in his prime now? Did he just starch Pacman at the same weight he fought Mayweather because he was a dried out version of himself even years after the fact?

Shane Mosley coming off demolishing Margarito was old paper champ?

Not to mention guys like Canelo, Guerrero, and Ortiz might likely fight their way to that status. Were they not spry enough for you? He gives all these Champs like Ricky Hatton their first loss but they were all has beens... Insane. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.