UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW on Hendo: 'We'll talk'

11/10/13 10:07 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Dan Henderson started fighting in 1997, in Brazil. His third fight was in the UFC, earning decisions over Carlos Newton and Alan Goes in one night. He fought the best in the world ever since. But Henderson is on a three-fight losing streak, dropping split decisions to Lyoto Machida and Rashad Evans, followed by a crushing first round KO at the hands and feet of Vitor Belfort Saturday night.

At 43, Henderson holds one of the great records in the sport's history, across 17 years, and is at an appropriate point to retire, if he wants to. But he doesn't want to. Hendo said recently he wants three or four more fights, over the next two years, and in the UFC.

The UFC generally signs notable fighters to a new contract before the expiration of the old one. However, Henderson, who made a flat $250,000 per fight, waited until after the contract expired to negotiate a new one. A win over the surging Vitor Belfort would have put Henderson in a quite strong negotiating position. The loss puts him in a quite weak negotiating position. So weak, there is some doubt he will even be offered a contract at all.

UFC president Dana White addressed the question Saturday night after the end of UFC Fight Night 32 in Goiania, Brazil.

"Yeah, obviously we’ll get together, we’ll talk to him," said White. "He’s on a three-fight losing streak right now. His age and everything else, I’ve got to talk to him and see. I knew Dan would want to fight again; he’s a fighter, that’s what he does. So, we’ll talk."

White made similar remarks at the post-fight press conference, saying he will talk with Henderson in a few weeks to figure it out. Henderson, who suffered a KO for the first time in his career, went to the hospital after the fight.

What do you think UG? WIll the UFC re-sign Dan Henderson?

11/10/13 10:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JetSetter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No chance Phone Post 3.0
11/10/13 10:30 AM
I_lov3_JUSTIN_BIEBER

I hope he gets at least one more fight - this is the first time Dans been finished like that - he isn't chuck where he is out cold nearly every fight at the end..

I say let him keep fighting until he loses again. He has faced nothing but killers. Phone Post 3.0
11/10/13 10:38 AM
spliff
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/10/13 10:38 AM
dan gets 250k with no win bonus i think so im guessing his next contract will be like joe riggs in bellator
11/10/13 10:48 AM
SKINS

Hendo vs Bisping 2 must happen
11/10/13 11:03 AM
shaqitup
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well he won't be sniffing that 250k.

11/10/13 11:10 AM
Bry Bry

Dan is a veteran but if i was Dana i wouldnt be giving him $250k per fight..he has had many lackluster fights in the ufc...i see either a drastic pay-cut or he is gone..
11/10/13 11:13 AM
44 Magnum
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Especially when Dana starts off my saying 3 fight losing streak and his age. I wonder if Dana will even offer him half the 250K
11/10/13 12:01 PM
Kirik
1844 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Chris's egregious error has been corrected.

11/10/13 12:30 PM
MisterHawkeMMA

Hendo VS Tito... both on TRT. You heard it here first lol.
11/10/13 12:40 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Context is important. Yes, Dan is on a 3 fight losing streak. He lost big last night. However, his losses prior to that were both against top 5 LHW's and were split decisions that about half the fans felt he won. How anyone could think that's a sign it's time for him to hang them up is beyond me.

How many other fighters could go to controversial split decisions with both Evans and Machida? Do we expect all those guys to drop? Dan can still compete at a higher level than 95% of the UFC's roster.

This is the problem with the current rules/scoring system and these incompetent judges. Many people forget how things went down and just look at all losses as the same when, because of the faulty system/judges, anyone with an IQ higher than a monkey knows that's not the case.
11/10/13 12:44 PM
TwentyNineTwentyEight
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

Well it was fun while it lasted.

11/10/13 12:58 PM
jujubre
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did not know Dan henderson began fighting in 2007 Phone Post 3.0
11/10/13 1:06 PM
Kirik
1844 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
TwentyNineTwentyEight - 
Kirik - 

Not for me. The vigilance it takes to be on the lookout for Chris's UG Blog errors is exhausting.

11/10/13 2:47 PM
Kobayashi

Sadly I think Hendo's next fight may be against Rampage. Phone Post 3.0
11/10/13 3:36 PM
TwentyNineTwentyEight
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 
TwentyNineTwentyEight - 
Kirik - 

Not for me. The vigilance it takes to be on the lookout for Chris's UG Blog errors is exhausting.

Oh I'm sure. I was just trying to be funny.

11/10/13 3:42 PM
J2C1
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kobayashi - Sadly I think Hendo's next fight may be against Rampage. Phone Post 3.0
I have a feeling you might be right. Something tells me he and Dana may not come to terms and he will take another offer elsewhere. Phone Post
11/10/13 3:46 PM
Brigham
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DanHendersonsDentures -
Bry Bry - Dan is a veteran but if i was Dana i wouldnt be giving him $250k per fight..he has had many lackluster fights in the ufc...i see either a drastic pay-cut or he is gone..

Statements like this I just dont get, everyone on this website is always preaching about how fighters should be getting paid more. Yet when a guy finally starts earning some good $$$ and loses everyone starts saying he isnt worth it.

An yeah you are right, that KO of Bisping and his fight with Shogun were so lackluster I dont think I will ever watch him fight again to be honest he is to boring lol gtfo
Welcome to the UG Phone Post
11/10/13 5:48 PM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MisterHawkeMMA - Hendo VS Tito... both on TRT. You heard it here first lol.

What kind of fucked up disrespectful statement is that.

You know that Vitor is also on TRT funnyman. And you know that Hendo still destroys the bigger part of the (admittedly weak) middleweight division.

So some fucking respect as well please. Even mentioning Hendo in the same sentence at Tito at the moment is beyond fucked up.

Unfortunately firmly believe the UFC is going to cut him. Though Hendo might take the big pay cut for his last couple of fights and stay around in the UFC.

Though unfortunately i do not believe Bellator is going to make a move for him. Which is unfortunate because even at his age he is a lot more legit (in ever aspect including being a relevent PPV draw) then either Rampage or Tito are at the moment (and he always been the better fighter of the three).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.