UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hyperbolic but outstanding piece on MMA

11/10/13 11:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kirik
1663 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/11/mma_brain_injuries_danger_mixed_martial_arts_special_report.html

11/10/13 11:49 AM
stonepony
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent.

Boxing is sooo much worse for brain health. Even someone like Floyd, takes a shot to brain more times in one fight than many UFC fighters take over their entire career.
11/10/13 11:52 AM
Kirik
1663 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

I was genuinely impressed with the reporter. Felt like someone without a lot of familiarity with contact sports, but not someone being sensationalistic. I didn't agree with a lot of it, but the reporter has integrity, and few do any more.

11/10/13 11:55 AM
Emperor Nero

Edited: 11/10/13 11:57 AM
its a bit stretched out for a piece but it does have good sources , i only skimmed it at the moment but i personally would really like to see some way to get weight cutting removed from the competition , as far as head injury goes, i think they should follow boxings model, where in training and in amateur level fights, fighters wear a bit more protective gear, and only in the professional level do they open up unpadded legs, no headgears, etc.

also in sparring thats up to the coaches. guys should definitely be training full power strikes against pads and bags every day but there is nothing wrong with medium contact sparring practice where you pull the punch just a bit, in sparring. coaches shouldnt have their pro guys sparring each other full contact every day, thats not right.
11/10/13 12:02 PM
crowbar
698 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hyperbole is alive & well among us.

Sad but true.

11/10/13 1:38 PM
XIII
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

subbed
11/10/13 2:19 PM
publics_lowDown_brazilianWax
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know what decompression chambers have to do with mma
11/10/13 2:21 PM
OGT

Sub Phone Post
11/10/13 2:50 PM
Tad Ghostal
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

I was genuinely impressed with the reporter. Felt like someone without a lot of familiarity with contact sports, but not someone being sensationalistic. I didn't agree with a lot of it, but the reporter has integrity, and few do any more.

It's well written and researched, a rarity in MMA media. What didn't you agree with?
11/10/13 2:59 PM
Kneeblock
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
11/10/13 3:13 PM
shaqitup
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stonepony - Excellent.

Boxing is sooo much worse for brain health. Even someone like Floyd, takes a shot to brain more times in one fight than many UFC fighters take over their entire career.

do you know this for a fact?

I think they did some research and found the affects are similar.

There are situations that make you cringe in both sports when it comes to head trauma.

I think the difference is MMA fighters have much more of an ability to avoid head Trauma, when they're getting beaten up they can go to the ground, or focus more on grappling.

They can also have general strategies to avoid taking much damage to their head.

11/10/13 3:19 PM
JIMMYNAKS
297 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great read. Thanks for sharing! Phone Post 3.0
11/10/13 3:41 PM
Wicked smahtMF

awesome. thanks Kirik
11/10/13 4:18 PM
Mike Chiappetta
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The personal anecdotes about short-term memory loss are the most impactful part of the piece to me.

The rest of it is nothing that most MMA fans aren't aware of, but I understand he was setting the scene for the series, and I am certainly interested to see the other installments.
11/10/13 5:20 PM
Tenor still 10ing
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Hyperbolic"? Really, Kirik?

From a recent study by Cleveland Clinic's Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health, these effects were measured in fighters:

"reduced connectivity between the basal ganglia and other brain regions"

"caudate volumes were smaller by 0.37% for each bout reported by participants"

"Volumes were lower by about 5% for the amygdala and putamen"

"There was a lesser trend toward smaller volumes with experience in the thalamus"

This study involved 104 boxers and 135 MMA fighters. It is a preliminary study.

Current studies are following and testing MMA fighters for longer periods, including into retirement.

In the years ahead, we will have much more of a complete scientific picture of the effects of brain trauma related to MMA.

No doubt MMA will have an NFL "League of Denial" situation in the future. However, the NFL has two things going for it that MMA does not:

Billions of dollars to spend on athlete treatment and negating the adverse effects on public relations,

and the fact their athletes are on average making millions of dollars per year.

The future studies are going to be a difficult hurdle for the sport to overcome IMO.

11/11/13 12:01 PM
Colboyo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The article indicates that head trauma causes short term memory loss....

The article indicates that head trauma causes short term memory loss.
11/11/13 1:35 PM
Donoghue88
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't get it - are we supposed to be shocked that getting hit in the face causes brain injury? If I let you kick my knee everyday, do you think my knee is going to be fine?

If your worried about getting brain damage, then look at GSP. One of the highest paying fighters that rarely takes a beating.

I don't believe GSP will have issues like other fighters who try to knock each-other out everyday.
11/11/13 1:38 PM
JimmersonzGlove
503 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I stopped reading when he went to the Pav for a quote.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.