UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Midoux talks GSP retirement, giving belt to Rory

11/11/13 2:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mufasatheking - Essentially what this article is saying is

If Rory gets KO'd - GSP stays
If Rory wins - GSP retires

Johny on the spot, my good fellow.

11/11/13 2:11 PM
Wasa-B
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WoodenPupa - 
Wasa-B - 
MDubz - I really don't understand why the fuck he would retire so soon. Apparently 31 years old is too old for athletes. Funny how NHL and NFL players can go until 40 and take way more punishment. Phone Post 3.0

You really didnt read the article then, did ya? Its George's call in the end but there are numerous reasons for retiring on top and pursuing other things in life. He still probably has the desire to compete but i think he could bow out soon gracefully, still healthy, rich and on top.

If he did actually retire, that would be more impressive than his career itself, since "going out on top" is the Halley's Comet of combat sports. You might see it once in your life.

At any rate, "reasons" are the worst predictor for behavior. GSP has "good reasons" to retire, all right, but they aren't any more rational than his becoming a fighter ever was. If they indicate something like a "recognition" in himself that his values are changing, or that his ambition is fading, and so on, then I think we can take them at face value. But the problem is, we can't know whether his thoughts on the subject indicate a genuine sea-change is happening in him, and neither can GSP. Yes, starting a family would be a damn good "reason" for retiring---but "unretiring" is also the most commonly seen follow-up to the lifestyle changes a fighter has supposedly embraced in the act of retirement.

Plain and simple, the magnetic pull on a fighter to fight is an unearthly force, and plans to resist it usually fail. And it usually fails multiple times, hence, multiple retirements are the norm, until the fighter can no longer get medical clearance.

It's like a teenager telling himself "I'm not going to fuck anymore because dammit, I'm a serious person and I've got to concentrate on school. Plus, I want to be a better person." A month later some tits walk by and the whole charade goes right to hell.

Exactly. "He still probably has the desire to compete..."
11/11/13 2:17 PM
Wasa-B
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pitbull3744 - 

Listen if GSP retires the belt goes to and will be held for a long time by 

HECTOR LOMBARD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lombard is already old and will likely have problems making WW for a sustained period and that may effect his cardio. You will need cardio as a champ. Not that Lombard couldnt beat anyone but becoming then staying a champ requires more.
11/11/13 2:21 PM
Bill Pharoni
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been thinking for a while that this would happen.
11/11/13 2:48 PM
BKViper
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It depends on how long he and his life partner want to wait to adopt. Phone Post 3.0
11/11/13 3:03 PM
CyberPunk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - So lets say he does beat Hendricks and finishes him even...is there anyone left to fight? I guess had Maia beat Shields, perhaps Maia but im sure people wouldnt have gotten too excited over that.

Henricks is the best opponent, got the wrestling and the KO power to get GSP motivated and the people hyped.

Agreed.

And there will forever be a crop of up-and-comers riding a hot KO streak claiming its their time to shine and be champion; or who claim the champion has never faced anyone like them.

At one point you have to retire... Unless you're willing to extend your career past your physical or emotional prime and get beat by lesser opponents who make a career out of beating a lesser version of the champion.

11/11/13 3:08 PM
Colboyo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He looked past his prime in the last fight. Should go out on top with dignity and respect.
11/11/13 3:38 PM
newjack900
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/11/13 3:40 PM
why has there been a bunch of retirement type of talk surrounding GSP for the past year or so? The guy is 32 yrs old (which means he has many fights left if he chooses so) has looked great coming back from his knee surgery, and has never taken a lot of damage in his fights. For as many rounds as this guy has put in, he really avoids taking a lot of damage. I hate the argument that a guy has nothing left to prove.. the UFC is still in its infancy as a sanctioned sport so of course there aren't other guys records and shit to chase. As MMA has grown in popularity and more very talented athletes are getting into it, there will always be great challenges for him at WW. Hendricks will be a great fight(probably the worst matchup for GSP since Hughes 1), I would love to see him fight Askren, Matt Brown if he keeps winning, eventually Gunnar Nelson if/when he progresses, and especially Hector Lombard.. I wish he would've came to the UFC as a WW instead of being matched up with huge grinders at MW. I just don't see GSP giving it up anytime soon. GSP is a true fighter and martial artist, and those guys always seem to stay in the game for as long as they can
11/11/13 4:29 PM
mynameisMud
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If gsp is truly thinking of retiring Saturday night this will be his toughest fight since Matt Hughes 1. Georges largest weakness is his mind and he might not be completely focused if he has poutine and hot tubs on the back burner. Or he shows up giving no fucks about the outcome of the fight, doesn't fight scared, and puts out the best performance of his career Phone Post 3.0
11/11/13 5:02 PM
RonFoster77

I would retire to if I was potentially looking at a fight with Hector Lombard in the near future lol Phone Post
11/11/13 5:06 PM
bjws
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On the one hand I think it would be amazing for his legacy to retire if he finishes Hendricks.

On the other hand, I think it will do a lot of harm to the sport. We'll have what, one last big draw in Silva who will more than likely retire soon himself. Possibly as soon as the end of the year if he beats Weidman.
11/11/13 5:09 PM
bjws
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - So lets say he does beat Hendricks and finishes him even...is there anyone left to fight? I guess had Maia beat Shields, perhaps Maia but im sure people wouldnt have gotten too excited over that.

Henricks is the best opponent, got the wrestling and the KO power to get GSP motivated and the people hyped.

Really just Lombard. They could build that up like they did the Alves fight. Though I don't think Lombard is a legit threat in the mind of casual fans yet. He needs at least 2 more dominant wins given his record at MW.
11/11/13 5:56 PM
Porkchop

11/11/13 8:01 PM
perrogoma

Anybody else catch Firas Zahabi talking on the second primetime about how he doesn't think georges will ever fully retire? how he's not retiring after this fight and if he does retire, he'll probably come out of retirement in the future.

Now we have this new guy saying he should retire immediately so he's not a "has been 40 year old without a family".

WTF is he thinking

doesn't he know georges has dozens of illegitimate children all across the globe? The world is georges' family
11/11/13 8:22 PM
iShatswhenWeidmanBassoondSilva
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he does retire what's the over/under on years till he comes back to show the current champ, at that time, how it's done?

I say set it at 2.5 years.

11/11/13 9:09 PM
mixedmartianartist

MDubz - I really don't understand why the fuck he would retire so soon. Apparently 31 years old is too old for athletes. Funny how NHL and NFL players can go until 40 and take way more punishment. Phone Post 3.0

different sports, different training, different roles, different pressure, losses in those sports are not as significant... well.. you get the idea
11/11/13 9:19 PM
mijo

If GSP wins this one in dramatic fashion. He should fight Anderson Silva, or maybe Anthony Pettis to close out. Big money, and legacy already cemented.
11/11/13 9:37 PM
RedDragonUK
426 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This will be Rocky 5. GSP will retire and Rory Tommy Gunn will be champ but everyone will say he's not as good as GSP because he didnt fight the champ.

GSP will come out of retirement because his punk kid got bullied at school and his wife needs money to pay for food for his terrapins. Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 7:47 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If GSP beats Hendricks, he has nothing left to prove. and MMA is a sport that you should leave too early rather than too late.
11/12/13 8:04 AM
game78

George cares what people think of him. And the he can't finish fights talk bugs him a lot I think. I want him to finish Hendricks and retire. He's taken care of himself and really doesn't need to fight anymore. He is the biggest star in canada besides maybe Sidney Crosby. And on the prime time episode he seems like he longs to start a family of his own.

He has fought in the UFC for a long time. Has fought and beaten legends of this sport. And put on great shows for the fans. If he decides the time is now to retire then ill respect his decision,wish him luck, and miss watching his fights Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 8:08 AM
TSMontana
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/12/13 8:11 AM
I don't get why everyone is in a rush (no pun intended) to see GSP retire. You start a family at 32 when you don't have anything else epic like this going for you.
11/12/13 8:27 AM
baj54

MDubz - I really don't understand why the fuck he would retire so soon. Apparently 31 years old is too old for athletes. Funny how NHL and NFL players can go until 40 and take way more punishment. Phone Post 3.0
Let him go out while he is on top. Much like Barry Sanders did. As far as your idea that NHL and NFL players last longer that is kinda a joke. The avg. NFL career is 3.3 yrs. I don't know what it is for NHL careers. So with that in mind MMA has no off season. You are constantly pushing yourself in practice year round, unlike those other sports where you get a 3-4 month break in between seasons. It's his time to let go, specially if he finishes Hendricks. Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 9:56 AM
theshooter
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aren't there lots of fighters who are or have been on top who have a wife and kids? Current UFC heavyweight champion Cain Valasquez comes to mind. Anderson Silva as well.

If GSP wants to retire while he is still on top, that is up to him. He's made enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life (as long as he is not foolish with his money), and he could continue to make good money as a trainer and doing endorsements, and he could probably continue to get acting roles.

Most fans of the sport - myself included - would like to see him fight for a few more years, but it is his life so he should decide when he wants to retire from fighting.
11/12/13 11:47 AM
RedDragonUK
426 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also WTF?

Rory has to earn the damn belt! Phone Post 3.0
11/12/13 12:48 PM
Labrador
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can't really argue with Georges' success, but if all I had to go on was this interview I wouldn't want this guy's mentorship...

“I told him to be selfish. It’s not true that you can have a family and children and remain at the highest level of the sport..."

“People want to see him in the cage until he’s 40, but at 40, he’ll be a has-been with no wife and no kids,” states the mentor.

“Rory has the ability to become a champion. Rory will never want to fight Georges because they’re friends,” explained Kristof Midoux. “So I told Georges: out of respect, don’t keep that guy from climbing the ranks. You’ve had your career.”

I mean, damn, doesn't seem cool.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.