UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW to Jon Jones: 'You're not a matchmaker'

11/11/13 10:35 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones recently took issue with what appeared to be a relatively easy path for Alexander Gustafsson to earn a rematch. This came after It was announced that Gustafsson would fight Little Nog, and assuming a win there, would get a shot at the winner of Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira, which will take place in March. When the fight was scrapped, the replacement for Little Nog was Jimi Manuwa.

"Really? You want [Gustafsson] to have the rematch that bad?" Jones told Ariel Helwani, as transcribed by MMAFighting. "No disrespect to Nogueira, but lets see Gustafsson vs. Cormier. It makes so much sense. If me, Cormier, Gustafsson and Teixeira are the toughest four guys in the division, lets put us in a little a round robin pool and see who's the toughest of us four. Why throw Lil Nog into the picture?"

Do your job Jon, a chuckling UFC president Dana White explained.

"Jon, I love you, you're not a matchmaker," said White. "Fight your fight, he'll fight his fight, and don't worry about it. When you talk like that it makes it sound like you're worried about it."

11/11/13 10:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BLACKBUDDAH
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think jones is right jimi nor lil nog deserve a fight with gus! Dana talking shit to his champ is bull! Rampage is right. Phone Post
11/11/13 10:45 AM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pitbull3744 -

I think it goes without saying that Jones wants nothing to do with Gus after the last fight.  Its funny how even Dana recognizes that by what JOnes has been saying.  

This.

Jones doesn't want another taste of Viking fists smashing his face into the mat. Phone Post
11/11/13 10:48 AM
ABE FROMAN

IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap - 
Pitbull3744 -

I think it goes without saying that Jones wants nothing to do with Gus after the last fight.  Its funny how even Dana recognizes that by what JOnes has been saying.  

This.

Jones doesn't want another taste of Viking fists smashing his face into the mat. Phone Post

Or almost knocking the Viking out 2 seperate times.

11/11/13 10:50 AM
Stea1th

Chicken bones jones living up to his name Phone Post 3.0
11/11/13 10:51 AM
TuLegit

ABE FROMAN -
Pitbull3744 -

This.

Lol ya he was that close to going out.... Gimme a break. Exhausted? Yes. Hurt? Yes. On the verge of getting his lights shut off? Not even close. Phone Post 3.0
11/11/13 10:51 AM
Hired Gun
462 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones is very very afraid
11/11/13 10:52 AM
2mmafreaks

What Jones said makes sense though Phone Post 3.0
11/11/13 10:56 AM
NFABeeJay
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN -
Pitbull3744 -

This.

Yeah, that's not it. Phone Post 3.0
11/11/13 10:58 AM
snobordr
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think Jones is afraid of Gus. But when he says it like that, it does make it sound like he would prefer to avoid the rematch.

11/11/13 11:04 AM
Steve4192
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Jones is absolutely right that, from a competitive standpoint, Gus vs Cormier makes more sense. Problem is, from a business standpoint, Zuffa doesn't want to have those guys knock each other off. They are planning on Glover-Gus-Cormier as the next three challengers at LHW and they can't do that if they match up Gus and Cormier.
11/11/13 11:06 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones is right.

Jones was never given soft touches. He had to beat Bader to get his shot and at that time, Ryan was considered much more dangerous.

The UFC wants and needs the Gus rematch badly.

The worst thing ever is a Gus loss so the choices are stay on the shelf or fight a lower risk fight.

Cormier vs Gus is great but one man loses and as such loses his spot.

The UFC would rather have two guys to promote than let them face each other and risk eliminating one as a result.

Welcome to boxing booking where they "cook" the fights Bob Arum style and give contenders winnable fights so that the big fight isn't risked.

Of course, Manuwa COULD win but the odds are well against that one.

Dana is learning to run things the boxing way rather than let young contenders get chewed up early. Phone Post
11/11/13 11:06 AM
dannyapodaca

Look at Dana not giving Jones a tongue lashing. Maybe Dana has turned over a new leaf? Phone Post
11/11/13 11:09 AM
RoFu
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol even Dana wants him to STFU Phone Post
11/11/13 11:09 AM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 11/11/13 11:10 AM
Pitbull3744 - 

Abe your funny Jones threw that stupid ass Elbow about 30 times and got it once and hurt him.  Gus was beating the shit out of Jones for pretty much 5 rounds.  Ive never seen Jones so busted up so out of it in any of his fights.  

Jones got past that test yes, but you can tell he isnt a warrior and doesnt like to go to war like that and will avoid it at all cost. 

You can pretty much cut out Jones ever EVER going to HW because he must know that he will get his lights put out by anyone in the top 10.  Stipe would crush Jones.  

You must be fucking kidding? The whole fight was a war and both competitors deserve credit. The farther we are away from the fight the more the myth of this one-sided domination goes on. Jones was as much 'at war' as Gustuvsson. I know that your need to make Jon Jones suck overrides your need to be objective but the truth is that Jones beat Gustuvsson in a close decision. If he had not staggered and almost finished him it might have gone the other way.

Alex didn't beat down Jones and the judges just lost their minds and gave it to him because he's the UFC champ, that's the inference here.

Gus lost a close decision in a fight where both fought their hearts out.

Yes, time to give Jones credit for that fight too instead of trying to make it look like it was a conspiracy he won. 

11/11/13 11:21 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's crazy to think Jones is scared. That's not how these guys are wired. He probably just doesn't understand how matchmaking works but still feels like he knows best. Phone Post
11/11/13 11:24 AM
ABE FROMAN

Pitbull3744 - 

Jones did fight his heart out and yes it was a epic battle but i didnt see Gus leaving that fight nearly as busted up as Jon.  Second the way Jon is talking is pretty much anything to avoid another fight with Gus at least till his loses and Jones will be like oh he doesnt deserve another shot.  

Just keep feeding Jones fighters that cant even get close to him with Jones reach as oppose to Gus who was all over him and his reach meant nothing.  

Ive watched that fight a few times now and Rds 1, 2, and 3 were all so much Gus winning that i dont even know what else to say.  

I don't believe Jon is avoiding that match, I believe he wants to clear the field so that non-contenders aren't even in the mix. It's the SAME THING we've been saying on this board for years. It doesn't make it less valid now that Jon Jones said it. Hell, he might've said it because he read it on this board so many times he thought it might make sense to air it.

I guess people need a coward though, even when the coward has beaten the world's best fighters for years.

Oh yea, he was taller and they weren't in their 'prime'. I forgot to add that so we don't forget that he's a scaredy cat.

11/11/13 11:25 AM
RocketsRedglare

Edited: 11/11/13 11:26 AM
These debates correlate with the race of the poster.

In any event, it's common for fighters to state who they think is deserving of this or that. So I don't see why Dana would even comment.

I thought there should have been an immediate rematch.
11/11/13 11:33 AM
DoomFarmer
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RocketsRedglare - These debates correlate with the race of the poster.

In any event, it's common for fighters to state who they think is deserving of this or that. So I don't see why Dana would even comment.

I thought there should have been an immediate rematch.
He takes it there... Phone Post 3.0
11/11/13 11:34 AM
Vikingknee

Funny how hanging with the champ and beating the champ are the same thing to people that hate a fighter. I'm a white male with Scandinavian decent. Jones won clearly get over it Phone Post 3.0
11/11/13 11:37 AM
ABE FROMAN

And another MMA discussion gets redirected to the tune of 'I didn't do it'.

11/11/13 11:47 AM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 11/11/13 11:47 AM

But still won, lol

11/11/13 11:57 AM
hubris
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jon Jones wants to fight midgets
11/11/13 11:58 AM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand

Jones doesnt make it at all obvious that he wants nothing to do with Gus. Phone Post
11/11/13 12:00 PM
ABE FROMAN

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.