UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> guy pretended to be black... wins election

11/11/13 1:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
microbiologynerd
1226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dave Wilson is white. But to win a seat on the Houston Community College Board of Trustees in a district that is predominantly composed of African-American voters, Wilson, a conservative Republican, led voters to believe he was black.

According to CBS affiliate KHOU-TV, Wilson's direct mail campaign included a flier with smiling black faces he says he found on the Internet. "Please vote for our friend and neighbor Dave Wilson," the accompanying text read.

In another flier, the text said he had been endorsed by Ron Wilson, a popular black former state representative. But the Ron Wilson who endorsed him was Dave's cousin Ron, not the ex-lawmaker.

"He's a nice cousin," Wilson told the network, chuckling. "We played baseball in high school together."

Nevermind his cousin lives in Bloomfield, Iowa, about 940 miles from Houston.

On Tuesday, Wilson defeated Bruce Austin, the 24-year incumbent, by a margin of just 26 votes.

Austin, who is African-American, called Wilson's tactics "disgusting."

"I don't think it's good for both democracy and the whole concept of fair play," he said.

microbiologynerd
1226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"He never put out to voters that he was white," Austin said in a statement to the Houston Chronicle. "This is one of the few times a white guy has pretended to be a black guy and fooled black people."

But Wilson, who won a six-year term on the nine-member board, is unapologetic.

"Every time a politician talks, he's out there deceiving voters," Wilson said.

Austin said he would seek a recount, but Bob Stein, a political scientist at Rice University, believes the vote will stand. 

"I suspect it's more than just race," Stein said. "The Houston Community College was under some criticism for bad performance. And others on the board also had very serious challenges."

microbiologynerd

http://news.yahoo.com/white-guy-pretends-to-be-black-to-win-election-212328015.html?vp=1

11/11/13 1:11 PM
Somerville Bad Boy
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While this is total deception and unethical, there's a part of me that admires he has the nerve to go through with it. I particularly love:

"In another flier, the text said he had been endorsed by Ron Wilson, a popular black former state representative. But the Ron Wilson who endorsed him was Dave's cousin Ron, not the ex-lawmaker."
11/11/13 1:12 PM
Darup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funny. Just more proof voters are retarded. Phone Post
11/11/13 1:13 PM
microbiologynerd

wheres the white kid yelling "thats racist!!"

11/11/13 1:14 PM
MrColdCockIsGay
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol
11/11/13 1:15 PM
BigEyedFish
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What Darup said. ^
It would be funny if it weren't so sad, scary.. Phone Post
11/11/13 1:16 PM
Ramon Maroni

LOL
11/11/13 1:17 PM
andyman011

Somerville Bad Boy - While this is total deception and unethical, there's a part of me that admires he has the nerve to go through with it. I particularly love:

"In another flier, the text said he had been endorsed by Ron Wilson, a popular black former state representative. But the Ron Wilson who endorsed him was Dave's cousin Ron, not the ex-lawmaker."
Not unethical. It just shows you a few things.

1. Black people are buying what he's selling. Regardless of skin color.

2. The guy said it was disgusting to lead people to believe he was black. Why? Is voting supposed to be affected by race? I don't think so. This guys just jealous.

3. Nowhere does it say you need to identify your race clearly to compete.

4 . misdirection is not lying

5. Black people voted on something without ever taking the effort to look him up, they just heard he was black and wanted him. Literally nobody took the time to hop on the computer and look up your new potential leader. Phone Post
11/11/13 1:20 PM
rufus
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

11/11/13 1:23 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hahahaha Phone Post
11/11/13 1:25 PM
disbeliever
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
rufus - 

Holy shit lol
11/11/13 1:26 PM
4pdboxing
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rufus - 

Holy shit, part deux
11/11/13 1:27 PM
QTyp
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

love it
11/11/13 1:49 PM
HereWeAre

Well I mean yes you shouldn't vote for someone without even knowing their position on the issues. But the guy didn't just pretend to be black. He also mislead people into thinking he was endorsed by a prominent local politician. Phone Post
11/11/13 1:51 PM
HereWeAre

Also the I didn't even know people voted on a community college board of trustees.

That must be a pretty small election. Phone Post
11/11/13 1:52 PM
ryanJ
343 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pic from his first day on the job...

11/11/13 1:54 PM
supersonic
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love this story as well
11/11/13 1:54 PM
cleophus
361 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rufus - 

Some of them look like they've been non-graduating seniors since 2005-2006
11/11/13 2:00 PM
kindofawesome

microcunt strikes again.. Phone Post 3.0
11/11/13 2:01 PM
Somerville Bad Boy
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andyman011 - 
Somerville Bad Boy - While this is total deception and unethical, there's a part of me that admires he has the nerve to go through with it. I particularly love:

2. The guy said it was disgusting to lead people to believe he was black. Why? Is voting supposed to be affected by race? I don't think so. This guys just jealous.

5. Black people voted on something without ever taking the effort to look him up, they just heard he was black and wanted him. Literally nobody took the time to hop on the computer and look up your new potential leader. Phone Post

Whether something is unethical is always debatable but I absolutely believe what he did was unethical. Wilson intentionally mislead people into believing he was endorsed by a popular black politician. Endorsements still carry a lot of weight in the black community. If a political leader you like and trust puts his name behind a candidate, a lot of black voters will take that endorsement at face value and support the candidate. There is a difference between misdirection and lying, yes, but that does not mean one is ethical and one is not.

This is a race for a community college board; the turnout for this race is so low that a couple of misleading mailers can swing the race. When is the last time you went online to look up the positions of the candidates for this small of a race? If you answer "I always look up the positions of every candidate on the ballot before vote" you are either:

A. Steve Rogers (Captain America)
B. Lying
C. The most educated voter in America
D. All of the above

11/11/13 2:20 PM
Kroger39
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you are the kind of person who actually votes on this type of small time election I would think you'd make the effort to know who the candidates were.
11/11/13 2:28 PM
drywallerdave

hah Phone Post 3.0
11/11/13 2:29 PM
andyman011

Somerville Bad Boy -
andyman011 - 

Whether something is unethical is always debatable but I absolutely believe what he did was unethical. Wilson intentionally mislead people into believing he was endorsed by a popular black politician. Endorsements still carry a lot of weight in the black community. If a political leader you like and trust puts his name behind a candidate, a lot of black voters will take that endorsement at face value and support the candidate. There is a difference between misdirection and lying, yes, but that does not mean one is ethical and one is not.

This is a race for a community college board; the turnout for this race is so low that a couple of misleading mailers can swing the race. When is the last time you went online to look up the positions of the candidates for this small of a race? If you answer "I always look up the positions of every candidate on the ballot before vote" you are either:

A. Steve Rogers (Captain America)
B. Lying
C. The most educated voter in America
D. All of the above

If anything, a smaller election makes it more personal and gives you more reason to look up your candidates.

One of your options was the smartest voter in america, which made me chuckle because I'm Canadian, and its common sense to look a candidate up. Especially if you're giving them a vote.

Its not unethical, he was endorsed by a guy by that name.

If someone named Steven Spielberg endorsed me but he wasn't the movie director, I'm still allowed to say Spielberg invested in me. Its not a lie or misdirection, its fact. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.